Proposal: J. Staal value

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
Hey guys,

Penguins fan here in peace. What would the price of Jordan Staal be to Pittsburgh (at TDL or offseason).. I hated seeing him go and as to the trade i feel like it was a very fair even trade for both teams. What would it take to get him back to pittsburgh either now or in the offseason. I hear that he would be ok coming back to Pittsburgh.

The penguins are lacking a big/heavy (6'4" 230lb) player that can REALLY shut down opponents and play with his size and build to his advantage. Sutter has been good but not great. I feel like he would probably be a piece coming back to CAR in this trade or else it would be a 3 team trade or something crazy. His contract would need to go in order to re-aquire Staal, and CAR has the cap space to give him his next contract. Sutter is a Solid 3-C or a bottom end 2-C. Part of his problem currently is instability and lack of chemistry with his wingers bc unlike Staals tenure he has never had consistant wingers

My idea would be

To Pitt:
Staal

TO Car:
Beau Bennett (He is going to be a great playmaker in this league but needs to get bigger and get over this injury hump in his career. knock on wood but it looks like he may be over it)

Scott Harrington or Simon Despres (solid top-4 potential young D-man)

Sutter (1 year left- will go to money probably)

Conditional 2016 1st (based on us getting to the cup finals by the 2016 draft and Staal playing 50% of the games or it becomes a 2nd round pick)

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
With Nash and Rask we really have no use for Sutter. Bennett is an enticing piece though.

lol i feel that.. but we cannot do the deal and keep Sutter.. we probably would have to get rid of scuderi or kuntiz too..I really could see this as a 3 way trade potential but would rather avoid that mess in this forum lol.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
lol i feel that.. but we cannot do the deal and keep Sutter.. we probably would have to get rid of scuderi or kuntiz too..I really could see this as a 3 way trade potential but would rather avoid that mess in this forum lol.

The problem is none of those pieces are going to be part of a rebuilding effort. Nobody is going to build around Beau Bennett. You don't build around Simon Depres. Or a late 1st or late 2nd round pick.

To give up Jordan, there has to be something of long term value coming back.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Jordan is probably worth more to this team than anything he'd bring back in a trade. Though you can probably say that about half the players on this team

bluedevil58*

1st round pick, maata, Sutter, kapanen. He's yours.

You're not fleecing us this time around.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Maata or Pouliot would be coming back as the centerpiece. Add from there.

bluedevil58*

They didn't fleece us last time either. No matter how many times you say it.

That's debatable. Depending on how Dum and Poul do. We also could have had Forsberg.... all I know is that we paid 6M for a "elite 2nd line shut down center "

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Or a completely different route:

J. Staal + Tlusty + Sekera + 2016 1st
For
Malkin

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Maata would need to be the center piece. As has been said, Sutter is redundant with Rask and Nash. Something could be worked out though I suppose if #jrrutherford is actually serious though.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
How is this ludicrous? You are trying to acquire an elite 2nd line shut down center. You gotta give up a lot to get that. I did not list a single player that a team can build around whereas your initial trade offer was just offensive.

We are trading for J Staal not Patrick Kane

Jordan is an elite 3rd line Center
Jordan is a good 2nd line Center

View attachment 79851

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Aaron Ward just tweeted that Canes management went to Jordan and "reassured him" that there is absolutely nothing to these Penguins rumors.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
i'm picturing jordan being absolutely dismayed hearing these rumors and rfranciso being all like

ca6705a8161cb8b4b625477889734ec3.jpg

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
We are trading for J Staal not Patrick Kane

Jordan is an elite 3rd line Center
Jordan is a good 2nd line Center

View attachment 79851

Plays top line minutes, and dominates opponents on the other teams top line. Sounds like a 3rd liner.

Crazy that a player who matches up with other top lines, wins the matchup, and that's only good enough to be a 'good' 2nd liner because of a horizontal chart based off highschool level understanding of statistics/hockey.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's debatable. Depending on how Dum and Poul do. We also could have had Forsberg.... all I know is that we paid 6M for a "elite 2nd line shut down center "

Which is the going rate for 2nd line players nowadays. I know first impressions are important and everything, but I will never understand how many people don't understand how the market works.

Yes, Staal at $6 million when he first signed was an overpayment. Since then, the market has changed. Callahan, ROR, Couture, Mike Richards, etc. are getting $6 million. Dave Bolland got $5.5 million this past offseason.

The market changed and Staal's contract went from overpayment to more in line with the league average.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Plays top line minutes, and dominates opponents on the other teams top line. Sounds like a 3rd liner.

Crazy that a player who matches up with other top lines, wins the matchup, and that's only good enough to be a 'good' 2nd liner because of a horizontal chart based off highschool level understanding of statistics/hockey.
my opinion is that point scoring is overrated for forwards and underrated for defensemen.

if jordan staal scored 10 more points per season but was significantly worse defensively, he'd have a much better rep. i'm sure of that. just look at how well skinner is received even though he gets destroyed with easy match-ups. 30 goals!!!!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Funny in the other thread I'm being told Jordan is a passable number one center.

Talk about being all over the board. We weren't remotely fleeced in the original trade, we just paid a lot for disappointing offense IMO. I know he makes up for it elsewhere but you pay big money for offense usually. He was supposed to have more and he doesn't.

Having said that he isn't going anywhere without paying at least the equivalent of what we paid. Pitts doesn't have it unless they would do sutter, dumo and poulliot back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad