J. Schultz is awesome!

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't want to be the first to say it but Petry has looked like somewhat of a dud so far as well. Many were thinking he was going to take a step up and that he'd be a solid top 4 guy with his shot and physicality his biggest assets... I'm not so sure watching him so far (early of course).

Without J Schultz I'd hate to even think what the Oilers D would look like this season. Sad would be an understatement.

Petry IMO has always been overrated by many here. I always saw an average to maybe slightly above average player with mediocre instincts defensively and offensively. I've said that smid is the only one making him look good. There were glimpse of petry excelling but those instances have been few and far.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
This is what happens when the Flames win a couple of games while the oilers lose.. the oiler bashing goes through the roof.

I would chose J.Schultz over ANY dman the Flames have going forward.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Ya, that stupid fat ***** made that thread in response to Pang (I think) saying that he would have Schultz possibly on Team Canada in Sochi.
The slobs on that site weren't going to live that one down!

The saltiness is strong there.
I was happy to see at least 3 posts there that weren't completely ridiculous. My god some of them are delusional.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Schultz is definitely more in the mold of Niedermayer or Lidstrom.

I agree that he's got a loooooooooooong way to go to even be compared to them in potential, but his playing style is obviously inspired by them.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Schultz has been great, but I'd trade him for Jones in an instant

Don't fault that logic at all. It's just how long do you wait before jones becomes what you expect him to be. For all you know, could be another Erik Johnson. Not bad but will take time.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I guess it's pretty much time to believe the hype.

Watching him play, there's no hype about it though. He's just really good.

The only issue with him is the fact that he's making our other defensemen look pretty bad.

We just got smacked in the head with reality here folks, or at least I did. We're so used to mediocre D men, that when a good one shows up, our previously good D-men are now pretty lame looking. Some of them will get better though, just from playing with better players, like Shultz.

The kids gonna be an all star for sure, and I don't think saying Norris right now is premature. We've all seen it before. A good parallel is Karlsson. I remember seeing him play one of his first NHL games against Edmonton a couple of years ago, and I'm seeing the same poise and hockey sense from this kid Shultz.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Don't fault that logic at all. It's just how long do you wait before jones becomes what you expect him to be. For all you know, could be another Erik Johnson. Not bad but will take time.

Or heck, maybe even another Justin Schultz!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
With all due respect to the OP, those that had the privilege of seeing him play for OKC knew exactly this. The amazing things since entering the NHL are that he has played much more physically, is leading our defensemen in ES icetime, and has been playing the PK which I wouldn't have thrown on his plate this early in his career. He has also cut back the amount of times that he had been getting beaten down ice by guys flying the zone. This is a franchise defenseman in the making folks, what a beauty and what an absolute gift to the fans of the Oilers that he chose to play for us.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
With all due respect to the OP, those that had the privilege of seeing him play for OKC knew exactly this. The amazing things since entering the NHL are that he has played much more physically, is leading our defensemen in ES icetime, and has been playing the PK which I wouldn't have thrown on his plate this early in his career. He has also cut back the amount of times that he had been getting beaten down ice by guys flying the zone. This is a franchise defenseman in the making folks, what a beauty and what an absolute gift to the fans of the Oilers that he chose to play for us.

Oh I know. You missed the first sentence of my OP.:D

Obviously anybody could've made this thread, it just happened to be me, and I like being positive when I can.

I just figured the timing was right for a dedicated thread. I did watch the Barons when I could but the postage sized streaming videos kind of limited seeing the nuance in his play like I said. I can detect better on HDTV, just like some might detect better actually being at the games and seeing everything.

Heres something funny: Kreuger was quoted the other day as recognizing that Schultz played 28mins in a recent OT game was too much, but said "how do you resist playing him"?

The kid is doing everything very well.

I'd never seen this guy play before OKC. But its a pleasure watching him this season.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I am not sure if i read this or heard it on the radio, but is it true that Schultz actually knew he was coming together in January of 2012, but had to wait to announce it?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I am not sure if i read this or heard it on the radio, but is it true that Schultz actually knew he was coming together in January of 2012, but had to wait to announce it?

There was some hearsay that he made his decision Long before the summer but due to the legalities behind the CBA, had to wait as that would make it tampering.

Assuming that's what you are referring to

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
Petry IMO has always been overrated by many here. I always saw an average to maybe slightly above average player with mediocre instincts defensively and offensively. I've said that smid is the only one making him look good. There were glimpse of petry excelling but those instances have been few and far.

I think it's important to note that he, Petry, (and apparantly his agent), have not overrated himself as evidenced by the quick and very reasonable DEAL that he accepted. He was thrown to the wolves since the day he arrived here and the curve has been going up even though it was sink or swim with super heavy minutes from day one. I'd say he's done OK so far and more will come. It's not like he's screwing the pooch here either. 23 mins a night against the best in the World after a long layoff. He is well worth his money.

Oiled up*

Comparables to J. Schultz

Who do you guys think would be a comparable player to Justin Schultz based on what you have seen this season? I'm not good with these comparisons so i won't even try.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Watching him I see a lot of Sergei Zubrov, strong skating, excellent at making that first pass and serviceable in their zone. But frankly Schultz is a pretty unique player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As much as I love this guy, too early. Theres no NHL book on J Schultz yet. He's looked great, I've said that repeatedly, but I don't think we've seen any adjustments to what he does yet.

You don't really detect tendencies as much until they get shutdown. Then you see the players thinking, plan A, B, C, D in action.

Justin appears to think the game excellently and very good in real time but he has yet to experience all options being closed on regular occasions. Thats the critical point is how he contends with less than good options.

This has been a huge struggle for Petry who was scouted and is just now starting to come around again.

My money is on J Schultz prevailing, but in the end, against designed systems and adjustemnts, what will he look like. I suspect still pretty good.

Oiled up*

Sergei Zubov:

Skip to 1:50 for highlights

Yeah you can definitely see the shiftiness of Zubov and those beautiful passes, what a great player he was.

Watching him I see a lot of Sergei Zubrov, strong skating, excellent at making that first pass and serviceable in their zone. But frankly Schultz is a pretty unique player.

Do you think he's unique enough to have people be compared to him in the future?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
mike green except green has a heavier shot and schultz seems to be a bit quicker positionally

Oiled up*

As much as I love this guy, too early. Theres no NHL book on J Schultz yet. He's looked great, I've said that repeatedly, but I don't think we've seen any adjustments to what he does yet.

You don't really detect tendencies as much until they get shutdown. Then you see the players thinking, plan A, B, C, D in action.

Justin appears to think the game excellently and very good in real time but he has yet to experience all options being closed on regular occasions. Thats the critical point is how he contends with less than good options.

This has been a huge struggle for Petry who was scouted and is just now starting to come around again.

My money is on J Schultz prevailing, but in the end, against designed systems and adjustemnts, what will he look like. I suspect still pretty good.

I agree that it's too early... I am just too amazed with what I have seen so far with him, it will be interesting to see how he handles that adversity you speakof... imo with the players around him i don't think he will have too much problems.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree that it's too early... I am just too amazed with what I have seen so far with him, it will be interesting to see how he handles that adversity you speakof... imo with the players around him i don't think he will have too much problems.

Yep, but a D will go as far as his teammates support him. When passing lanes get shutdown to forwards come back and help. unfortunately in Petry's case i've seen multiple instances this year and last where puck support was an issue. When a D has to swallow a puck under intense pressure with no outlet things get ugly in a hurry, and it always looks like the D's fault.

This team is not always so good at providing adequate puck transition support. This is a team that likes to jump the zone and head off to the races. Which requires increasingly accurate, and risky up ice passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad