J. Schultz is awesome!

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
He has looked far better defensively in the NHL then he was in the AHL. Much easier when you playing with someone competent. Both Marincin & Decks stats went to hell as soon as Schultz wasnt around to make them look good. He really carried them.

But yes, he has exceeded expectations. Which is really impressive, and I though would be impossible, given the hype.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thank You J Schultz for specifically wanting to be here. What a blessing that we get a plum like this falling our way. Heres to J Schultz being here an awfully long time and one of the keys to possible future glory.

In terms of poise, understanding of game, and making adept plays its been since Pronger that I've seen anybody this good. But Pronger was physically gifted and correct mistakes though his physical brawn and just remove people from the puck even if he did turn it over. Justin just seemingly avoids obvious mistakes alltogether. I'm amazed how few he makes. Its uncanny for somebody to be this good at decisions in a sport this fast.

Agreed, he just seems to understand what he needs to do whether it's coverage, gap control or anything of the sort. Like I said, he's just showing us a glimps of what he will be. And, imo, he'll be pretty damned good.

It's clear the coaching staff has seen this as well, he played next to no PK time at the start of the year and now he's starting to rotate through all situations. He looks comfortable in each as well

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Looks great from what I've seen of him. So far. As for the Norris, well, as long as Karlsson is around and healthy, no one even gets a sniff.

Pieterangelo might have something to say about that.

bereanca

Jul 14, 2006
Edmonton
As everyone has said, he's been so impressive in all areas. He's done everything asked of him, which has been a lot, and as unlikely as it seems he has surpassed the hype.

I expected rookie mistakes, jitters but they have been essentially non-existent. What does it say about the gulf between him and the other D when he gets thrown on the ice in critical situations and I'm relieved?

And you can tell he loves playing here.

Now, if Klefbom can live up to his promise we have our first pairing for many years to come.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I've seen just about every single game Schultz has played this year and to be honest I'm really not overly surprised that he's been so good for us. Justin was far and away the best dman in the AHL this year and just by watching him play it was easy to see that he belonged in the NHL. For those who never got to see him play until his first game for the Oilers I can understand why you'd be so surprised by his play. But for anyone who watched him all year, I think we had a certain level of expectancy for Justin and he's definitely lived up to that.

One thing I was concerned about with his transition to the NHL would be his defensive game while playing against the elite players in this league as well as how he could handle the physicality. Schultz has been great defensively and has been able to dodge hits as well as take them whenever he had to. So to be honest, he's exceeded my expectations.

Even though we can all agree on how well Schultz has played for us, from watching him play all year, I actually don't think we've seen the best of him yet. I'm not just talking about his career, I mean right now. He's been great defensively but I believe he has more to give offensively and I bet if you asked him he'd say the exact same thing. I'm not saying he's been a slouch or has played bad by any means, I just think that we will see a better Schultz this season and when the team gets going, especially the top line, we'll see what Justin can really bring to this team. When you really get to see him control our powerplay the way I know he can you will be even more amazed by him than you are now. Trust me, other teams and other fan bases will really start to notice as well.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Amazing player. I haven't been overwhelmed by his offense (but he still does have good numbers), but the other aspects of his game are astounding. He's the youngest guy on our blueline, but also the best Dman we have IMO.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
If we get a better d-core, I think we'll see JS jumping up in the play more.

Defensively has been where he has surprised me the most.

Really, really, really jumping the gun on this, but I actually see the Niedermayer comparisons.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If we get a better d-core, I think we'll see JS jumping up in the play more.

Defensively has been where he has surprised me the most.

Really, really, really jumping the gun on this, but I actually see the Niedermayer comparisons.

obviously i don`t think that schultz will be ANYWHERE CLOSE to as good as nieds was, not even remotely (just to be clear)... but i do see why people were comparing their playing styles, as they do look similar and have similarities in their games

again, in no way whatsoever do i think schultz will even approach nieds, but rather their *styles* are somewhat similar

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I see Schultz more of a Larry Murphy type than a Neidermayer type.

Bigger, not overly physical but sound defensively. Good shot selection, strong play maker, very active stick in the defensive zone. Can man the point himself on the PP and is quite adept at containing the puck in the offensive zone.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
obviously i don`t think that schultz will be ANYWHERE CLOSE to as good as nieds was, not even remotely (just to be clear)... but i do see why people were comparing their playing styles, as they do look similar and have similarities in their games

again, in no way whatsoever do i think schultz will even approach nieds, but rather their *styles* are somewhat similar

I think he could be as good as Niedermayer. I mean, he'd have to continue to steadily improve over the next several years, but it's not like no one will be as good as Niedermayer ever again. He's already the Oilers' best defenceman by a fair margin in my opinion, and he's ten games into his career.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I didn't think he was going to be able to step into the NHL and play like this. He's been amazing. That half year in the AHL really helped I'm sure.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Haven't bought a jersey since Eric Brewer in (I believe) 2003. Ten years out, it feels like it's time to get a new one and I think it's going to be Schultzy. I love everything about his game. Blew expectations way out of the water.

Someone said once he's like a Nuge on defense. That's pretty much bang on.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Haven't bought a jersey since Eric Brewer in (I believe) 2003. Ten years out, it feels like it's time to get a new one and I think it's going to be Schultzy. I love everything about his game. Blew expectations way out of the water.

Someone said once he's like a Nuge on defense. That's pretty much bang on.

So first you ruined Brewer as a player, now you want to ruin Schultz?

wraezor

Dec 31, 2008
I haven't watched either of them a real lot, but based on the descriptions, doesn't Schultz play like Lidstrom? Or are people just scared to compare Schultz's style to a generational star?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think anyone wants to jinx things but he's played just 10 games and he's already looking like a solid #1 dman both offensively and defensively and plays #1 minutes as well.

Sky is the limit for him and if he keeps projecting like he is, his name will be spoken with some very elite names in 3-5 years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I haven't watched either of them a real lot, but based on the descriptions, doesn't Schultz play like Lidstrom? Or are people just scared to compare Schultz's style to a generational star?

Ya I wouldn't ever make that comparison simply because Lidstrom is one of the greatest to ever play the game. If Schultz is half the player Lidstrom was, he'll still be a #1 dman

Turrican*

Ya, that stupid fat ***** made that thread in response to Pang (I think) saying that he would have Schultz possibly on Team Canada in Sochi.
The slobs on that site weren't going to live that one down!

The saltiness is strong there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Stopped reading, and laughed out loud at the first reply in that thread:

Phaneuf is better than Schultz

Hahaha, i was just looking at that thread, if you go to the last 2 pages its a complete meltdown

"Probably 2nd pairing, behind Bouwmeester, Giordano and Wideman. Also probably 2nd PP unit.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I think Brodie might edge him out defensively, so maybe he would be 3rd pairing making up the minutes on the PP. Also, does Schultz kill penalties?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad