News Article: IZOD Center/CAA Expected To Shut Down

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
So many memories of the tunnel from the playoffs in the late 90s/00s. My worst memory happened to be seeing a flyers fan basically being curbstomped by 3 or 4 guys. Don't know if I went to another Flyer/Ranger game after my dad and I passed that.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
:laugh: I mentioned the tunnel or cattle crossing earlier, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. It seemed a bit sketchy with the wood planks and gaps going over the highway. I remember it getting pretty rowdy and loud in there with everyone chanting "Let's go Devils!" and banging on the sides of that thing.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
So many memories of the tunnel from the playoffs in the late 90s/00s. My worst memory happened to be seeing a flyers fan basically being curbstomped by 3 or 4 guys. Don't know if I went to another Flyer/Ranger game after my dad and I passed that.

Not that this justifies that, but I recall someone posting about how Flyers fans lined up outside CAA after they won their 3rd game of the series in 2000 to go up 3-1 and were heckling all of the Devils fans leaving the building. I can see how that might blow up into something like you described.

And I'm so glad we won the series :yo:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Few other random pictures

large_schoeny.jpg

165320112-in-the-parking-lot-of-the-continental-gettyimages.jpg

72250312-continental-airlines-arena-is-shown-during-gettyimages.jpg

What the hell is advertising? :laugh:
52242203.jpg

welcomehomebruce.jpg

e4601fa88d80ee51.jpg

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
at the end of the tunnel on the way out there was a guy who sold awesome pretzels or hot dogs or something

The pretzels over the hot coals. Still the best pretzels I've ever had. When they weren't burned, they were ridiculously good.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The pretzels over the hot coals. Still the best pretzels I've ever had. When they weren't burned, they were ridiculously good.

I dont understand why, but at some point during the last 20 years NYC pretzels changed, and not for the better.

They used to be fantastic, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, warm, and with just enough salt, all for $1. Now they're disgusting gooey messes with more NaCl than a Morton's factory, and it will set you back $3 should you have a lapse in judgement and purchase one.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Ask and ye shall receive

Yellowjerseyref.png

:laugh: Nice! I still can't believe what went down that game. The refs boycotting and refusing to officiate the game and had to get off ice officials to suit up. I think there was a ton of fights that game so they were totally out of their element.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It's like the movie Tin Cup when he fires Roy and hired the dude in the crowd to be his caddy. :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah pretty much.

Any kids or younger guys out there need to check out what happened, there's a few videos out there. Just a whacky bizarre incident in Devils and NHL history. Could you imagine NFL officials being plucked out of the sidelines and then running around the field in yellow jerseys. :laugh:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I dont understand why, but at some point during the last 20 years NYC pretzels changed, and not for the better.

They used to be fantastic, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, warm, and with just enough salt, all for $1. Now they're disgusting gooey messes with more NaCl than a Morton's factory, and it will set you back $3 should you have a lapse in judgement and purchase one.

Agreed, I try buying them once in a while on my way out of the city and they're disgusting everytime. Soft on the outside and almost undercooked on the inside. So much salt that you need 3 bottles of water with it.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
GM/coach Lou Lamoriello spoke about the news that Izod Center is closing at the end of this month: "When you heard it, what you did was reflect and think about the excitement. There were a lot of great moments there. Those are moments no one can take away from you, moments you cherish more than anything."

"Certainly if the shows that were there are going to come to Prudential, there's no question it's going to help and that's an extremely positive thing. We've always felt and hoped that that was the case. Jeff (Vanderbeek) worked hard at that in the early years but now it's finally come. The Prudential arena should be the focus arena of the state of New Jersey."

Few more pics I came across

-cd7f8fef0f139d3b.JPG

-c6e116892184ef5e.JPG

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Not sure if serious. Just in case...yes. The term "Meadowlands" actually refers to the marshlands around the Hackensack River.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Meadowlands

I knew the media kept throwing around the term "the swamp" when referring to the Devils even after they moved to the Prudential Center and it drove people nuts but I thought the term was more a throwback to the old industrial roots of southern NJ when manufacturing sprung up and they drained swamp lands to put up factories and stuff. Didn't know there were literally real swamplands at the edge of the parking lots at the meadowlands areana (Brendan Byrne as I learned it). Plus the Brendan Byrne state park is down in the southern part of NJ closer to Philly so it just sort of made sense to me as a historical reference like the Jersey Devil more than a real one.

Being a long distance fan has is advantages and disadvantages at times.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I knew the media kept throwing around the term "the swamp" when referring to the Devils even after they moved to the Prudential Center and it drove people nuts but I thought the term was more a throwback to the old industrial roots of southern NJ when manufacturing sprung up and they drained swamp lands to put up factories and stuff. Didn't know there were literally real swamplands at the edge of the parking lots at the meadowlands areana (Brendan Byrne as I learned it). Plus the Brendan Byrne state park is down in the southern part of NJ closer to Philly so it just sort of made sense to me as a historical reference like the Jersey Devil more than a real one.

Yeah the whole area is a giant freaking swamp, Giant Stadium and BB Arena were built right on top of it. Back then when everyone said we play in a swamp it's 100% legit.:laugh:

It has seemed to follow us to the Prudential Center though.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Yeah the whole area is a giant freaking swamp, Giant Stadium and BB Arena were built right on top of it. Back then when everyone said we play in a swamp it's 100% legit.:laugh:

It has seemed to follow us to the Prudential Center though.

Well most hockey fans still claim we play a boring trap system so....

But yeah I remember reading an article in the Star Ledger about how CAA sinks 1 inch every year because of how wet the ground is that it's on.

Side note, the land the arena is on was a cedar forest 200 years ago.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Where we tailgate for Giant games is right across the service road from the swamps/weeds of the meadowlands so when the port-a-john lines are too long, which is pretty often, you'll see a ton of people jogging across the service road into the actual swamps/weeds to piss :laugh:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Where we tailgate for Giant games is right across the service road from the swamps/weeds of the meadowlands so when the port-a-john lines are too long, which is pretty often, you'll see a ton of people jogging across the service road into the actual swamps/weeds to piss :laugh:

speaking of which, last game at CAA someone markered "ranger paper" above the roll in one of the johnny on the spots … i got a good laugh out of it :handclap:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
speaking of which, last game at CAA someone markered "ranger paper" above the roll in one of the johnny on the spots … i got a good laugh out of it :handclap:

From time to time at random points in the season somebody will throw a bunch of mini ranger logo stickers in urinals in some of the bathrooms at the rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad