News Article: IZOD Center/CAA Expected To Shut Down

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I really thought that this deserved its own thread.

It has been announced through NJ.com, among other sources that our beloved former home will be expected to shut down by the end of the month. I cannot say I am shocked, however, I cannot feel a bit of sadness over the old barn going away for good.

The first hockey game I saw (to my knowledge) was that ill-fated Devils/Senators game in 96. However, my pop claims to have brought me to more in my youth before that. I luckily have more good then bad memories of the place and I'm sure we all do. I managed to catch one last event there, Judas Priest in late 2014. Even though IZOD seemed like shell of what it used to be, I saw the similarities of the place it used to be. It brought closure.

If anyone has any favorite memories of CAA, share them here.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That would be really awesome if the Devils could have had an alumni game there. Get players from all the cup teams, and some of the early teams. Marty could play I it, Chico could too. I would fly up and attend something like this.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
The only fitting end besides a Devils alumni game that I could see besides that would be a Bruce concert. Sadly it seems like it's just going to get an unceremonious closure. Sad. Just sad.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only fitting end besides a Devils alumni game that I could see besides that would be a Bruce concert. Sadly it seems like it's just going to get an unceremonious closure. Sad. Just sad.

I wish they would do one so I could have an excuse to walk around the old barn again. I forgot what it's like after so long.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Very upsetting. Loved going to concerts there every few years because it brought back great memories. Love our new home, but going to Continental brings back the memories of late spring hockey. If they sell the seats, I'm definitely buying a couple.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Summerslam 97, my first live wrestling show. Boy was it a pita to get there and back.

I'll always remember the pain that was trying to get out of the place. I was supposed to go to King of The Ring 01, which would of been my first wrestling show but then I got the flu the same week. I remember being upset for weeks.

Honestly, the place doesn't look like it changed THAT much. I remember there being a lot of banners (non championship/NJD related banners) hanging around the arena and those are long gone, the blue and white at the top for the sections are the same and the walkway kinda looks the same. It's def the same same vibe as you walk in.

It's like going into a museum. So much nostalgia. As much as I love our new home, nothing will beat how IZOD Center was for Devils games. If anyone was lucky enough to sit front row during a Devils game, the way it was structured you was actually sitting on a little tiny bit of ice. You would be that close. As a kid it was surreal.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My favorite part about the Meadowlands arena, is that it was only 10-15 minutes away from where I lived. :nod:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
One of the reasons Brendan Byrne Arena was built was in hopes to lure the Rags there.
First hockey game was preseason Rags vs Flyers.

The 1988 and 1995 playoff runs were extra special.
So was 2000 and 2001 until the finals.

Had great times there due to the games but I love The Rock, its our true home.
We are no longer a second class citizen renter like we were at the old barn.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I never got to see playoff hockey at CAA but I saw plenty of games since the early 90s.

Favorite moment? Who needs a parade when we have a parking lot :)

I was at the first parking lot celebration. Pretty lame really.

Was also at game 2 vs Boston of that playoff run. A loss that put us down 0-2 in the series.

And the coup de gras? Was there for game 4 vs Detroit, had a scalper ready to sell me a ticket for $100 or so, but before I could get the $$$ out of my pocket some dude rolled up and paid twice that. Happened all so quickly. Couldn't find another scalper anywhere. Wound up watching the game in the parking lot on a 3" b&w tv with some dudes from north NJ.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
brendan-byrne-arena-300.jpg

brendan_byrne_arena.jpg

1858061.jpg

continentalairlinesconcourse.jpg

483238482_9f175eb1f2_z.jpg

packed_house.jpg

8649771761_4dce44dd2c.jpg

banner_raise250.jpg

hi-res-12c9b95a3c46a9e9152cebfc28fe4560_crop_north.jpg

stanley-2000.jpg

martin-brodeur-cupjpg-991f67327a8f26a8_large.jpg

787e2121-a830-4eb6-b1c1-791b947b9ac3_2003New-Jersey-Devils.jpg

marty2.jpg

STES135021.jpeg

ken-daneyko-new-jersey-devils-retirement-night-full-rink-view-autographed-photograph-3366587.jpg

1981ad-meadowlands.jpg

byrne-020781-tick-9bn.jpg

337.jpg

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
For me these were three of my bigger memories there Devils wise;

My first cup finals game

Langenbrunner OT winner

Daneyko night

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Nothing beat the old barn when it was full and blasting.

Man I still miss the old horn too.

Disagree about nothing beating the old barn when it was full. It could loud at times, but I had been to second round playoff games that had empty sections of the upper deck. I have never experienced an atmosphere in New Jersey like the 2012 cup run. I literally left games (including the Florida series) with my ears ringing from how loud it was. I still remember how hard it was to hear during game 3 of the Florida series even though we lost. Theodore got yanked and the crowd started singing "Jose, Jose, Jose" to the "ole, ole, ole" tune. It's too bad we don't have a competitive team.

Bottom line is that I miss the winning days from Continental, but I don't think the atmosphere compares to the Rock. Agree about the old horn though, that was the best horn in the league.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
It's time. It's just taking up dates that could be going to The Rock and pumping money into Newark.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
My first game was oct 18 1982 sec 216 tix was four bucks, a3/1 win over Philly. I was a senior in high school . I was at the have another donut game and the mother's day game after. The Hrudyyyyyyyyyyy foam finger pointing series in 88. I saw both home cups won and Springsteen from the fourth row. Was basically my second home. Season tix from 89. Have maroon 5 tix there in March same day as devs are home

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
Meadowlands goal horn followed by the pre-you suck R&R part 2 will forever ring in my head.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Disagree about nothing beating the old barn when it was full. It could loud at times, but I had been to second round playoff games that had empty sections of the upper deck. I have never experienced an atmosphere in New Jersey like the 2012 cup run. I literally left games (including the Florida series) with my ears ringing from how loud it was. I still remember how hard it was to hear during game 3 of the Florida series even though we lost. Theodore got yanked and the crowd started singing "Jose, Jose, Jose" to the "ole, ole, ole" tune. It's too bad we don't have a competitive team.

Bottom line is that I miss the winning days from Continental, but I don't think the atmosphere compares to the Rock. Agree about the old horn though, that was the best horn in the league.

The run in 1994 and the Cup run in 1995 were the two most excellent experiences I have ever had as a fan - and that includes being at a Yankees game when they won the World Series and numerous huge football and basketball games.

The place was always a cavern, and it verged on ridiculous how pathetically quiet it could be (remember the guy with the trumpet?) and I remember some pathetic turnouts to playoff games.

That said - june24 1995 was absolutely the best being upstairs. The building shook.

My folks had season tix from the getgo, so my first games were pretty early - but the first one I really remember was 1985.

I remember seeing Marty play in what was his 14th game in the NHL against Vancouver - we had front row seats. Kept calling him Mickey.

Saw tons of concerts there too. Got lucky for the first time after taking my girlfriend to a Heart concert in 1986.

I'll never forget the scenes in the cow tunnel during the Eastern Finals against the Rags in 1994. Wow.

Lots of great memories.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If you sat in the upper level with enough people there the place would literally be shaking after we'd score

Had forgotten about that until I went to see Bruce there a couple years ago and it was shaking for much of the concert :laugh:

The commentators during the playoffs used to comment on it because their booth was part of the upper level

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Summerslam 97, my first live wrestling show. Boy was it a pita to get there and back.

Part of me wishes that I couldn't tell you what the main event of Summerslam '97 was.

I'm kinda bummed out since I never got to catch a game there as a non-local fan. During recent visits, I tried to find an excuse to head out there but to no avail (ie, last year there was a Muse concert but that trip got scrapped).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I saw the circus here back the year it opened. Might have been the year after. Think that was my first even there. I was like 4 or 5.

goawaygary*

I remember how large it was, had an indoor domed stadium feel to it. 19k+ was way too huge a capacity to have the Devils try to fill every home game. 16,000 wouldve been more reasonable. Even good crowds of 17,000 had lots of visible empties

not a bad seat in the house though, and it wasnt in dumpy crime infested Newark either (Though i like the Pru Center)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad