News Article: IZOD Center/CAA Expected To Shut Down

hockeyfan102

Jan 14, 2014
Been back to Izod Center twice for college graduations since Devils left. Great memories in the building, but the place seemed doomed when it lost the Devils and the Nets. Prudential Center is a world class building and hopefully it and ownership benefit from Izod Center closing.

Bringing back the old goal horn would be awesome!! Was disappointed the horn was changed when they moved to the new building. Love hearing the old horn in old Devils highlights.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
the old horn without R&R pt 2 just wouldn't be the same, that 2-3 second pause from the last horn blast to the drums kicking in was as close to perfection as you would get for a goal song.

thanks to all you obnoxious millennial aged idiots with your stupid sing songy you suck chant for taking that one away from us.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
the old horn without R&R pt 2 just wouldn't be the same, that 2-3 second pause from the last horn blast to the drums kicking in was as close to perfection as you would get for a goal song.

thanks to all you obnoxious millennial aged idiots with your stupid sing songy you suck chant for taking that one away from us.

Without taking sides on the chant issue, I can confidently say there is no generation gap separating the pro and anti chanters either online or in the crowd.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Where'd you get that from? Not saying you're wrong, just find it odd.

I was with my family down at Longwood Gardens and they have a few cedar trees in some of the shallow ponds there. My Dad mentioned how cedar trees grow in marshy areas, and that much of the Meadowlands used to be covered by cedar trees before settlers cut them all down for the wood, making the area what it looks like today. I went home and looked it up, this is some of what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Meadowlands
Originally the area was forested with Atlantic White Cedar before the early Dutch settlers cleared the cedar forests and used dikes to drain the land. The Dutch farmers used the drained tidal lands to create "meadows" of salt hay; hence the area was referred to by locals as the Meadows.

Edit:

Here's another fun fact about our area, first heard by me from my Dad's (strange) knowledge of the history of our area:

http://nynjbaykeeper.org/resources-programs/oyster-restoration-program/about-the-oyster/
When Henry Hudson first explored our region in 1609, oyster reefs covered 350 square miles of estuary, from Sandy Hook north to Ossining on the Hudson, to Raritan Bay, the Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers, the Arthur Kill and Newark Bay.

Yup, you could dine on fresh oysters right out of Newark Bay. Of course, we've polluted the water so bad that it might be impossible to ever bring them back, but I think they are still trying and I guess it's always possible with regulations and increased awareness.

Last edited:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I swear, I've probably met 400-500 people who were at that game...

I saw great stuff at that building... Hundreds of Devils games, winning the Stanley Cup, concerts of all kinds. I won't miss it for a second. The stuff that happened makes the memories, not some outdated, garbage dump.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Never knew that myself, but there is a ton of other information aside from those links if you google it

I wasn't surprised that there was once a forest there, I was surprised at the "200 years" ago reference - from the link you provided...

A number of people made a living as lumbermen in the Meadowlands. Peter Kalm toured the Meadowlands in 1750 and wrote "The inhabitants here are not only lessening the number of their trees, but are even expatriating them entirely. . . . By these means many swamps are already quite destitute of cedars. "

Which is pretty much as I thought.

There are actually more trees in NJ today than there were 200 years ago, and that's especially true in the east, because this area was well-settled and back then trees were used for dang near everything. Home and barn construction, wagons, bridges, ship building (here and exported to London), home heating etc... you name it. Plus there was a ton of clear cutting to make room for fields and farming since that was the #1 industry of the day. The east of the state towards NYC was so stripped of forest that from Washington's Morristown headquarters you could see the British coming from their NYC stronghold from literally miles away (part of why Morristown was chosen).

Compare that to the current view from Fort Nonsense and the panorama from there to NYC today looks like forest. Anyway, I dont intend to hijack the thread, I'm just a big Colonial American history dork.

cannon_fort_nonsense.jpg

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I wasn't surprised that there was once a forest there, I was surprised at the "200 years" ago reference - from the link you provided...

Which is pretty much as I thought.

There are actually more trees in NJ today than there were 200 years ago, and that's especially true in the east, because this area was well-settled and back then trees were used for dang near everything. Home and barn construction, wagons, bridges, ship building (here and exported to London), home heating etc... you name it. Plus there was a ton of clear cutting to make room for fields and farming since that was the #1 industry of the day. The east of the state towards NYC was so stripped of forest that from Washington's Morristown headquarters you could see the British coming from their NYC stronghold from literally miles away (part of why Morristown was chosen).

Compare that to the current view from Fort Nonsense and the panorama from there to NYC today looks like forest. Anyway, I dont intend to hijack the thread, I'm just a big Colonial American history dork.

cannon_fort_nonsense.jpg

Really now? Not to hijack further but that's incredible.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Really now? Not to hijack further but that's incredible.

I think the thread's pretty much dying anyway, but yeah, not entirely, but way more so than today given farming was huge.
And at night what they did was every few miles in the Watchung mountains (at high points) there was a giant wooden signal beacon for both alarm & protection. Basically a massive bonfire.

So if the King's troops were seen marching en masse (like an obvious large assault party rather than a few hundred skirmishing/foraging troops) a militiaman would scale the peak and light this gigantic fire, which could easily be seen a few miles away, and a militiaman there would then go to the top and light his giant fire, which would be seen by a militiaman a few miles away, and so on and so forth. In this manner, pre-telephone or internet, you could alert the entire New Jersey countryside for miles to prepare for invasion, alert the militia, get to the magazine and prepare arms etc... Simplistically genius. It's not known where all the fire beacons were, but they were in Warren, Morristown, Mountainville, Green Brook, Basking Ridge etc... And there were other beacon networks in Hunterdon and Sussex Counties too, though I'd guess they werent used much, but the Somerset ones were of major importance to protecting the Continental Army and ensure they didn't get "jumped" by the Regulars.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I think the thread's pretty much dying anyway, but yeah, not entirely, but way more so than today given farming was huge.
And at night what they did was every few miles in the Watchung mountains (at high points) there was a giant wooden signal beacon for both alarm & protection. Basically a massive bonfire.

So if the King's troops were seen marching en masse (like an obvious large assault party rather than a few hundred skirmishing/foraging troops) a militiaman would scale the peak and light this gigantic fire, which could easily be seen a few miles away, and a militiaman there would then go to the top and light his giant fire, which would be seen by a militiaman a few miles away, and so on and so forth. In this manner, pre-telephone or internet, you could alert the entire New Jersey countryside for miles to prepare for invasion, alert the militia, get to the magazine and prepare arms etc... Simplistically genius. It's not known where all the fire beacons were, but they were in Warren, Morristown, Mountainville, Green Brook, Basking Ridge etc... And there were other beacon networks in Hunterdon and Sussex Counties too, though I'd guess they werent used much, but the Somerset ones were of major importance to protecting the Continental Army and ensure they didn't get "jumped" by the Regulars.

Reminds me of Lord of the Rings

lotr-rotk-beacons.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad