Iyla Kovalchuk or Brad Marchand?

Who was the better player in their primes?

• Kovalchuk

Votes: 138 53.9%
  • Marchand

Votes: 112 43.8%
  • Even

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Initially with name recognition it seemed it would be Kovalchuk but looking at Marchand and his scoring rate, penalty killing, lead by example hard work consistency... Marchand has the edge.

Marchand scored 37 goals, 8 seasons ago. Once he added PP time and offensive zone shifts he entered thus unbelievably impactful prime. Also once he and Bergeron stopped dragging useless players such as Caron around.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, take +/- away from it... (Even though Jersey was a 48 win team in one of those seasons)

It's not close offensively.
You're right, Kovalchuk is better offensively. He put up those points in a way lower scoring period with way less support.

Slew Footed by Holik

Nov 5, 2022
Perth, ON
Well...these aren't easy players to compare as they're very different from one another. Like some I felt the burn from Kovy taking his puck and going home before his Devils career really got going...and while I respect what Marchand brings to the table, I'm by no means a fan of his.

Kovalchuk was the more exciting, explosive and skilled of the two. And he meant more to his team in his prime that Bradley.

I vote for Kovy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How do you figure? Marchand’s only been elite for like 6 years now. Kovalchuk was at that level for a decade and was only stopped by him going to the KHL

I personally think the Thrashers version of Kovalchuk was more threatening but he was one dimensional, people pretend like the 50 goal Kovalchuk and two way Kovalchuk were the same player at the same time, they weren't.

I would take the 100 point all around pest that Marchand is over either iteration of Kovalchuk.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
Real close, but going with Marchy by a hair. Fairly comparable offensive peaks (though I'd give the edge there to Kovy), but Marchand's superior defensive skill puts him over the top for me. Perhaps I'm just remembering wrong, but I recall Kovy being pretty lackluster defensively (cherry picker as others have said here).

Reactions: RSPens

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You're right, Kovalchuk is better offensively. He put up those points in a way lower scoring period with way less support.

He was also being fed minutes and powerplay time like candy. Not as good away from the puck as Marchand. Offensively he was probably still the better player but not by nearly enough to offset the difference in their defensive play.

Reactions: RSPens

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Kovalchuck was slightly better offensively, where Brad is much better defensively. The only thing that makes this closer is that Brad unfortunately used to cross the line too often which hurt his team. I'd still take him over Kovalchuck any day of the week.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
What could Marchand do that Kovy couldn't? During his time in New Jersey he was one of the most complete wingers in the league.
Well let's look at career stats for the 2 of them...

Kovalchuck
926 games, 443 Goals (0.48 g/gm), 433 A (0.47 A/gm), 876 pts (0.946 pts/gm) with an ugly -146 +/-

Marchand
884 games, 356 Goals (0.4 g/gm), 453 A (0.51 A/gm), 809 pts (0.915 pts/gm) with a very nice +267 +/-

So as I stated, Kovalchuck is better offensively (slightly), but Brad is way better defensively.

Now I know that +/- is not a great stat to use when comparing players, but a 413 pt gap is huge and does at least tell you something about how these players are defensively.

Reactions: Ladyfan

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Kovalchuck
926 games, 443 Goals (0.48 g/gm), 433 A (0.47 A/gm), 876 pts (0.946 pts/gm) with an ugly -146 +/-

Marchand
884 games, 356 Goals (0.4 g/gm), 453 A (0.51 A/gm), 809 pts (0.915 pts/gm) with a very nice +267 +/-

So as I stated, Kovalchuck is better offensively (slightly), but Brad is way better defensively.

Now I know that +/- is not a great stat to use when comparing players, but a 413 pt gap is huge and does at least tell you something about how these players are defensively.
It really doesn't. It tells you Kovalchuk played on some really bad teams and Marchand has played on some really good ones (stapled to the best defensive center of the past 20 years).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Kovy at his best was a better one man army type when he was on, and could dominate more individually, but Marchand is pretty incredibly skilled himself so I don’t think the difference is huge, and Marchand seems better able to adapt to other players and systems, and his all around game is better as well.

I think it should also be noted that Kovy was force fed huge PP minutes in Atlanta and Marchand also gets low ES time. Marchand is an incredibly efficient scorer.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Kovalchuck

Marchand

+/- says absolutely nothing about an individual player.

Have the two players switch teams and the +/- will stick to the teams and not the player.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
It really doesn't. It tells you Kovalchuk played on some really bad teams and Marchand has played on some really good ones (stapled to the best defensive center of the past 20 years).
If it was about 50 pt gap then yeah, maybe I'd agree...but 413...come on...Does Brad not get any credit for what he does defensively?

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Not to be a nitpick, but can we work on the title: Ilya

please, give the man some respect!!!

And, Kovy was definitely better in his prime, except he quit on the NHL right around the time he started looking really really amazing (Devils fans will always remmber how he carried the team on his back during that playoffs run), and that PK (powerkill) they ran with him and, i think Zubrus?

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I think its close, personally. Kovalchuk was an incredibly gifted player, played on crap teams for the most part in a low-scoring era, and by and large didn't receive as much on-ice support as Marchand (nor, presumably, locker room support from a well-defined, robust team culture like Boston has), but Marchand has been such a consistent and effective player that its hard to knock him here.

All told, I would have liked to have seen Kovalchuk play a few more post-peak years in the NHL, as he had changed his game in an intriguing way while in New Jersey and I feel he left some good NHL years on the table.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Tough one because Marchand is still in his peak years (IMO)... and Kovalchuk had a few years where he was theoretically in his prime away from the NHL.

Since 2016, only McDavid, Draisaitl, Kane, and Mackinnon have more points than Marchand. Only Kucherov and Mackinnon have more playoff points.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I personally think the Thrashers version of Kovalchuk was more threatening but he was one dimensional, people pretend like the 50 goal Kovalchuk and two way Kovalchuk were the same player at the same time, they weren't.

I would take the 100 point all around pest that Marchand is over either iteration of Kovalchuk.

You bring up a super valid point. The version of Kovi that wasn’t just a cherry picker once he got to Jersey was a 30 goal, 70 point guy. A lower scoring era, but prime Marchand has been better than that.

I still think that Kovi had another level that Marchand doesn’t have…because Marchand plays hard all the time. But give me Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad