IX. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas' defense still looked rough, and the forwards aren't helping much backchecking. This team doesn't look the same really these past two weeks. Hopefully it's just a short summer hangover.

Campbell for sure didn't have a great game this time. As weak as the defense was at times, at least one of two of those goals probably should not have gone in.

They're getting out on the road quite a bit now which could be good for them. Nice little weekend trip to Lake Erie, one back in Austin, and then they're gone together for 5 games on the road over 8 days.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Just a quick one this time around.

Jack was shaky in the beginning, looked better at the end but still pretty wild.

Defense is pretty bad right now. The vets are playing bad, Honka and Klingberg are still adjusting. Getting Jokipakka back will help once that happens.

Forwards are better. Glennie was a little better but still overall crap this season. Laxdall also doesn't roll the lines like Willie. Tends to favor the top 2 lines. That being said, Smith looked real good. Stransky is coasting and it's showing. Faksa is looking good. Ritchie looked pretty relieved after his first goal. Ranford was on fire.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
How's Honka and Klingberg looking offensively? Both have good stats so far, obviously it's a small sample size, but are they looking good or are just getting lucky?

MetalGodAOD*

From what I've seen on Klingberg his hockey IQ is really high and he's making great offensive plays.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Honka and Klingberg have been excellent when moving the puck on the attack and setting up from the point. In fact, Dowling's redirect for the OT winner was from Klingberg who had a shot but saw Dowling in a better position.

Honka could do a better job at picking his shots. A few of them hit off the guy right in front of him and actually aided in OKC in attacking. So that's a slight issue. Other than that he's done really well offensively.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
How are Klingberg and Honka looking defensively? Average? Below average? Obviously it's going to take some time to develop their defensive game, but is it trainwreck-level bad like the big boys? Just curious, can only look at stats. Thanks for the input.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
How are Klingberg and Honka looking defensively? Average? Below average? Obviously it's going to take some time to develop their defensive game, but is it trainwreck-level bad like the big boys? Just curious, can only look at stats. Thanks for the input.

Defensively it's more interesting.

Honka looks a little lost away from the puck at times and it seems at times he's chasing guys from what I can remember. He's getting better but it's still going to take some time. When people say he's raw, it really shows there. One nice thing though is that he's not afraid to use his body or battle along the boards.

Klingberg looks a little better than Honka. I wouldn't say he struggles with his positioning or anything but that he's may one or two steps out of sorts. He is probably still adjusting to the slightly smaller ice.

Their main issue, especially for Honka, I think is when in the attacking zone they play incredibly deep into the zone. This had led to passes back to the points going out of the zone because they were not in the right place or just trying to chase the puck and/or opposing players.

As for the defense in general. Now that I think about it, it's not so much as lack of skill or effort as it is lack of communication. Basically every pairing is one vet and one new guy (or with Wrenn-Fortunus, a pairing that was very rare). In other words, growing pains for the defense and new coaching system.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
From what I've seen on Klingberg his hockey IQ is really high and he's making great offensive plays.

Honka and Klingberg have been excellent when moving the puck on the attack and setting up from the point. In fact, Dowling's redirect for the OT winner was from Klingberg who had a shot but saw Dowling in a better position.

Honka could do a better job at picking his shots. A few of them hit off the guy right in front of him and actually aided in OKC in attacking. So that's a slight issue. Other than that he's done really well offensively.

Thanks!

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Defensively it's more interesting.

Honka looks a little lost away from the puck at times and it seems at times he's chasing guys from what I can remember. He's getting better but it's still going to take some time. When people say he's raw, it really shows there. One nice thing though is that he's not afraid to use his body or battle along the boards.

Klingberg looks a little better than Honka. I wouldn't say he struggles with his positioning or anything but that he's may one or two steps out of sorts. He is probably still adjusting to the slightly smaller ice.

Their main issue, especially for Honka, I think is when in the attacking zone they play incredibly deep into the zone. This had led to passes back to the points going out of the zone because they were not in the right place or just trying to chase the puck and/or opposing players.

As for the defense in general. Now that I think about it, it's not so much as lack of skill or effort as it is lack of communication. Basically every pairing is one vet and one new guy (or with Wrenn-Fortunus, a pairing that was very rare). In other words, growing pains for the defense and new coaching system.

Sticking with Heika's this generation can't understand when they don't get instant gratification theme .... to everyone else for the love of God please remember he's 18 years old and the youngest or 2nd youngest player in arguably the 2nd best men's league in the world. The AHL is easily comparable to the level of competition in the SHL and KHL with the KHL getting a slight edge.

Defense is a tough position, and his own zone is the toughest part. If you expected a finished product from him or Klingberg ...

The only thing Honka's done to this point is confirm Nill and the team's belief he was ready. He's not as polished as Klingberg yet, but he's the 2nd best offensive D on that team easily right now. He shouldn't be close to Klingberg anyway. The guy is 3.5 years older.

Nill is delivering with 1st rounders. Nuke, Dickinson, and Honka's early returns are much more impressive than Glennie, Campbell, Oleksiak, and Faksa overall.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Any ideas on where Nuke will be slotted in his stint?

It just happened today, and Texas was already traveling. You probably not going to get lines until the start of the game.

This is what they were last night:

Ranford-Dowling-Ritchie
McKenzie-Morin-Glennie
Henderson-Faksa-Rallo
Hulak-Smith-Stransky

Glennie hasn't been impressive. It's a shame his level of play from last year wasn't maintained. He's easily playing himself out of a contract.

For that reason, the logical spot is with Morin on the top line. The reigning AHL MVP seems like a good center to work him for this little stint.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Agreed G. I didn't expect Honka or Klingberg to be awesome out of the gate. He has been fun to watch but they both need time. Honka is definitely more polished than guys like Wrenn.

Agreed also on Nuke taking Glennies spot. Talk about regression.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Agreed G. I didn't expect Honka or Klingberg to be awesome out of the gate. He has been fun to watch but they both need time. Honka is definitely more polished than guys like Wrenn.

Agreed also on Nuke taking Glennies spot. Talk about regression.

It's been a treat to watch. He's been better defensively than I expected. I was really worried the size and experience would be too much to overcome this early on. He seems to physically be holding up quite well. He's just uncomfortable with an AHL forecheck when is faster and harder than just about any other league other than the NHL.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'm curious to hear more about Honka's play in his own zone.

I never got the impression that he was that bad in his own zone so much as he held the puck too long, and would make errant passes. I never once saw him have to backcheck (something Dallas Stars defenders are constantly doing), and I recall him taking on Stamkos one on one with serious poise. The preseason is hardly enough to be either optimistic or pessimistic, but still...loved his lateral movement, and I really dug the Dillon/Honka pairing while they lasted.

Klingberg was so spastic when I saw him. Dude was just all over the place. Is he still doing the "I can teleport my way out of trouble" thing?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Playing a pre-season/exhibition game against a mix of junior, AHL, and NHL talent is significantly different than an AHL regular season game. It's no coincidence that Honka looked great in the early games but struggled significantly when the games had more NHL talent playing.

It's not a knock. You're asking a teenager to go from dominating other teenagers, hanging on to the puck, and being to do whatever cute play he wants to playing full grown men who are bigger, faster, stronger and don't fall for the same tricks and force you to make decisions faster.

Klingberg is going through the same thing. They aren't acclimated to the pace of the game yet. Honka and Klingberg are handful of games into their AHL career. As long as they get better over time that's all that matters. I think we're 6 games into the AHL season ... they haven't had enough time to adjust.

The fact that both hit the ground running offensively is outstanding. More so from Honka than Klingberg. If and when they hit a rough patch offensively ... it's normal. Prospect development isn't one big high. They suck sometimes as they get better.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I wasn't suggesting disappointment on either side, nor heaping much praise either. I've been high on Honka since we drafted him, as I think we overstate our depth at defense in the system (I like plenty of the younglings, but very few stand out as being quality first or second pairing types), so I'm just curious what his play looks like right now.

I don't expect him to look great, and I expect typical learning pains, but I do hope those flashes of brilliance are still there.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
So funny thing with Honka. During the powerplay (yes he's in on the powerplays) or when Texas has the puck in the offensive zone for a while, he'll constantly call for the puck raising his stick high ready for a one timer.

In the beginning the guys typically ignored him because those one timers tended to hit guys in front of Honka (mentioned before) but they're slowly trusting the kid.

I do like the confidence from the kid.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Awww yeah, double texas and dallas hockey night. Big tv with Dallas and laptop with Texas.

Texas in LE and hopefully see Val playing tonight for Texas. Won't see complete lines but I can try my best while watching the streams.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Wow LE with one of the best presentations for the streams. Actually have the score and time. Looks like Val is with McKenzie and Morin and will be wearing #37

Note: Troock has been sent to Idaho. Somewhat disappointed by that.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Sean Shapiro ‏@seanshapiro 2m2 minutes ago Austin, TX
Rynnas could get back to back starts this weekend if he plays well tonight for #txstars. Per @BrienRea's pregame interview with Laxdal.

Interesting. Either Laxxy not happy with Jack OR they're getting Rynnas some time for a possible callup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad