Salary Cap: It's time to buyout the Lehman Brothers

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Trading Chychrun for nothing but getting rid of Korpisalo’s contract feels like a pretty terrible move to me.

People can dream about Saros or Ullmark all they want but these guys have NTCs. The challenge of finding two goalies in free agency means you probably have to keep Forsberg or Korpisalo regardless, and Korpi’s cap hit is only 1.25 million higher than Forsberg’s.

I don’t think the Sens should be giving Chychrun away. So given that we are stuck with a bad goalie regardless next season, the better move is to give Korpisalo another chance if that’s the only way you can get rid of him. It can’t really get any worse.
Forsberg only has 1 year at 2.75 left. Korpisalo is an anchor and needs to be removed without taking on dead money. Dorion f’d the team and it’s going to cost to fix it.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Forsberg only has 1 year at 2.75 left. Korpisalo is an anchor and needs to be removed without taking on dead money. Dorion f’d the team and it’s going to cost to fix it.
Sure but the point is if both goalies are bad, before you give a player away for nothing, you might as well try to work with Korpisalo. The cap savings of keeping Korpi vs Forsberg for next year aren’t worth losing Chychrun for nothing.

For the record I think it’s unlikely Korpi comes back much better next season. But if he does you might actually have a shot trading him with some retention. And if he doesn’t, then you can look at a buyout or whatever else.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure but the point is if both goalies are bad, before you give a player away for nothing, you might as well try to work with Korpisalo. The cap savings of keeping Korpi vs Forsberg for next year aren’t worth losing Chychrun for nothing.

For the record I think it’s unlikely Korpi comes back much better next season. But if he does you might actually have a shot trading him with some retention. And if he doesn’t, then you can look at a buyout or whatever else.
What are you giving up to unload Forsberg ? Buyout or retention on either goalie should be a non starter.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
What are you giving up to unload Forsberg ? Buyout or retention on either goalie should be a non starter.
I doubt it would cost too much. But if does you could also try to take back a forward on a similar contract if you can’t dump him.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I’m liking the concept but I think a 3 team deal works better.

Chicago takes on Korpisalo + Washington 1st + 2025 2nd from Washington
Washington gets Chychrun
Ottawa gets out of Korpi contract.
So giving Chychrun away for nothing to get out of the Korpse contract? And then who is our number 1 next year? Forsberg with Sogaard backing up?

That is not how to improve. That is waving the white flag and taking a big step back. I am not at that point. We have to try and compete for a playoff spot next year.

Yes, we are probably stuck with Korpisalo. So the only way to compete is to make the team so defensively strong that Korpisalo's and Forsberg's weaknesses are hidden. Bring in a tough as nails forward... like a Bonne Jenner type (not saying it has to be him but someone like that). Bring in a tough RHD for the backend and then hope Korpisalo has a rebound year.

It's not out of the question. You could argue this year was an adjustment for Korpisalo (new team, new city). Also, Brady and company will be a year older, wiser, madder and hopefully ready to go next year.

I am not ready to wave the white flag. I don't think Staios is either.

Reactions: bicboi64

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Does a rebuilding team want Chychrun as the main piece in a trade that involves taking on Korpisalo?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’m liking the concept but I think a 3 team deal works better.

Chicago takes on Korpisalo + Washington 1st + 2025 2nd from Washington
Washington gets Chychrun
Ottawa gets out of Korpi contract.

ok but we spend all of Chychrun just to get rid of Korpisalo's contract? That's bad asset management... It becomes 1st (12th OA) + 2nd + 2nd to get rid of a 4.0 AAV contract...

Buying him out would be better then

Does a rebuilding team want Chychrun as the main piece in a trade that involves taking on Korpisalo?

Chychrun is 25 y/o, Chicago may not want to tank for another 5 years... They will need to start surrounding Bedard with more talent. They have 4 first in the next 2 drafts and 8 seconds in the next 3 drafts. Some really good prospects already in Moore and Nazar. They have a Top-10 pool already. Some young guys with potential in Kurashev, Korchinski and Reichel. Nobody wants to rebuild for 7+ seasons like Ottawa, not in today's NHL when starts sign big contracts after their ELCs.

If you can grab a Chychrun while giving up a D-man who doesn't your rebuild frame, a UFA and a goalie, you do it

They can afford Korpisalo, he becomes an expensive backup but if he's behind Mrazek maybe he does better than expected. I would jump on this as a Chicago fan

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I doubt it would cost too much. But if does you could also try to take back a forward on a similar contract if you can’t dump him.
I imagine it takes a 2nd to unload Forsberg. Better to unload Korpi and sign Stolartz to term at a low AAV. Sogaard replaced Forsberg after next year. We can’t absorb anymore dead cap.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So giving Chychrun away for nothing to get out of the Korpse contract? And then who is our number 1 next year? Forsberg with Sogaard backing up?

That is not how to improve. That is waving the white flag and taking a big step back. I am not at that point. We have to try and compete for a playoff spot next year.

Yes, we are probably stuck with Korpisalo. So the only way to compete is to make the team so defensively strong that Korpisalo's and Forsberg's weaknesses are hidden. Bring in a tough as nails forward... like a Bonne Jenner type (not saying it has to be him but someone like that). Bring in a tough RHD for the backend and then hope Korpisalo has a rebound year.

It's not out of the question. You could argue this year was an adjustment for Korpisalo (new team, new city). Also, Brady and company will be a year older, wiser, madder and hopefully ready to go next year.

I am not ready to wave the white flag. I don't think Staios is either.
Get a UFA goalie. This team cannot go into next year with Korpisalo as the #1. Sogaard needs another year in the AHL to work on his lateral movement IMO.

No chance.

ok but we spend all of Chychrun just to get rid of Korpisalo's contract? That's bad asset management... It becomes 1st (12th OA) + 2nd + 2nd to get rid of a 4.0 AAV contract...

Buying him out would be better then
This group didn’t make the signings or trades. The most important asset is cap space and we can’t waste 8 years worth of space.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Chychrun is 25 y/o, Chicago may not want to tank for another 5 years...
Chychrun will need a new contract after next year.

So, for the sake of argument, let’s say Chychrun $6 m plus Korpisalo $4 m = $10 m.

So they “ultimately” spend 10 m to get Chychrun and are stuck with Korpisalo for another 4 years (after this season).

And typically, rebuilding teams lean towards prospects/ELCs and high draft choices which the proposed trade is devoid of.

I understand our motivation in wanting to dump Korpisalo via whatever means necessary, but I’m not sure this trade gives enough thought to Chicago’s side of this and provides strong motivation for them. I’ll guess Chicago could find something better & more attractive than this.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This group didn’t make the signings or trades. The most important asset is cap space and we can’t waste 8 years worth of space.

Of course but the question is what could they do with Chychrun instead? Could they get an useful piece or nice futures to restock the pool? Most likely so it's either get nothing (with your proposal) or get that and deal with maneagable cap hits :

$333,333
$833,333
$1,833,333
$2,333,333
$1,333,333 x 4 years

Outside of year 3 and 4, very manageable.

Chychrun will need a new contract after next year.

So, for the sake of argument, let’s say Chychrun $6 m plus Korpisalo $4 m = $10 m.

So they “ultimately” spend 10 m to get Chychrun and are stuck with Korpisalo for another 4 years (after this season).

And typically, rebuilding teams lean towards prospects/ELCs and high draft choices which the proposed trade is devoid of.

I understand our motivation in wanting to dump Korpisalo via whatever means necessary, but I’m not sure this trade gives enough thought to Chicago’s side of this and provides strong motivation for them. I’ll guess Chicago could find something better & more attractive than this.

I already mentioned the reasons, Chychrun is a piece you can have for 10 years, of course it's assuming they would want to extend him long term.

In the proposal, they dump Athanasiou which cap hit is higher than Korpisalo so dump for dump for the first year. It would mean only 3 years of taking Korpisalo's cap as an expensive back up (instead of signing someone for 1 M$ for example) but behind Mrazek with no pressure, there's a chance he does relatively better than he did this season. In the process, they replace Murphy's cap by Chychrun

Really a no brainer for Chicago... they have seen Chychrun when he was with the Yotes so maybe they see him as a building block and in that instance, they get him for not much...

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
In the proposal, they dump Athanasiou which cap hit is higher than Korpisalo so dump for dump for the first year. I
Athanasiou contract is finished at the end of next year. I still think it would behoove Chicago to look for better alternatives if they have to inherit Korpisalo unless they are really in love with Chychrun for some reason (yet, we are not).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Athanasiou contract is finished at the end of next year. I still think it would behoove Chicago to look for better alternatives if they have to inherit Korpisalo unless they are really in love with Chychrun for some reason (yet, we are not).

We "are not" for many reasons, one of them is we already had Sanderson, Chabot and Brannstrom and didn't really need a Chychrun type, even more since he is LHD

Inheriting Korpisalo is really not as a big deal as you make it look like... First, no impact for the first year with Athanasiou going the other way then the next 3 years you have a more expensive backup than you would like (4.0 instead of 1.5-2.0?) but a guy who could still do better than your regular backup. They could even buy him out but they won't even have any cap problems for a long time...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Of course but the question is what could they do with Chychrun instead? Could they get an useful piece or nice futures to restock the pool? Most likely so it's either get nothing (with your proposal) or get that and deal with maneagable cap hits :

$333,333
$833,333
$1,833,333
$2,333,333
$1,333,333 x 4 years

Outside of year 3 and 4, very manageable.

I already mentioned the reasons, Chychrun is a piece you can have for 10 years, of course it's assuming they would want to extend him long term.

In the proposal, they dump Athanasiou which cap hit is higher than Korpisalo so dump for dump for the first year. It would mean only 3 years of taking Korpisalo's cap as an expensive back up (instead of signing someone for 1 M$ for example) but behind Mrazek with no pressure, there's a chance he does relatively better than he did this season. In the process, they replace Murphy's cap by Chychrun

Really a no brainer for Chicago... they have seen Chychrun when he was with the Yotes so maybe they see him as a building block and in that instance, they get him for not much...
There is no way in hell I would extend Chychrun and I think you are overestimating his value. If we could get a mid to late 1st and a 2nd I’d be thrilled.

In you original proposal you are taking on mor salary than you are sending out while not improving the team.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I imagine it takes a 2nd to unload Forsberg. Better to unload Korpi and sign Stolartz to term at a low AAV. Sogaard replaced Forsberg after next year. We can’t absorb anymore dead cap.
I doubt it, teams need goalies and up until this year he was a decent back up.

I also can’t fathom how trading Chychrun to rid yourself of Korpisalo is better than just retaining 1 mil on Forsberg. Sure it’s not ideal but this team isn’t going to live or die by that million next season, and at under 2 mil I don’t think you necessarily have to give up anything to trade Forsberg.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I doubt it, teams need goalies and up until this year he was a decent back up.

I also can’t fathom how trading Chychrun to rid yourself of Korpisalo is better than just retaining 1 mil on Forsberg. Sure it’s not ideal but this team isn’t going to live or die by that million next season, and at under 2 mil I don’t think you necessarily have to give up anything to trade Forsberg.
You are still stuck with Korpisalo in your scenario and we don’t have sufficient cap space to be retaining or buying out players.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There is no way in hell I would extend Chychrun and I think you are overestimating his value. If we could get a mid to late 1st and a 2nd I’d be thrilled.

In you original proposal you are taking on mor salary than you are sending out while not improving the team.

The price was 12h OA and two 2nds one year ago. If he pulls a DeBrincat or Tarasenko by only wanting to go with one team, it would kill most of his value but we can't assume that. In that case, he's worth more than a late 1st and a 2nd...

In the proposed trade, I get rid of Korpi's cap, get a RHD defensive D-man and a young goalie (Athanasiou expires after one season). Not sure why this needs to be detailed...

That seems like an odd statement given the number of posts talking about how horrible he is and discussing ways of getting rid of him.

The number of posts doesn't matter. You have to compare with the average backup who'd make let's say 1.5 AAV. He wouldn't be seen as bad if he was playing less. So while the contract isn't great, it's still just 4.0 AAV x 4 years. As explained several times already, the dump is defrayed by taking on Athanasiou and getting Chychrun for just a defensive D-man who is 6 years older

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The price was 12h OA and two 2nds one year ago. If he pulls a DeBrincat or Tarasenko by only wanting to go with one team, it would kill most of his value but we can't assume that. In that case, he's worth more than a late 1st and a 2nd...

In the proposed trade, I get rid of Korpi's cap, get a RHD defensive D-man and a young goalie (Athanasiou expires after one season). Not sure why this needs to be detailed...

The number of posts doesn't matter. You have to compare with the average backup who'd make let's say 1.5 AAV. He wouldn't be seen as bad if he was playing less. So while the contract isn't great, it's still just 4.0 AAV x 4 years. As explained several times already, the dump is defrayed by taking on Athanasiou and getting Chychrun for just a defensive D-man who is 6 years older
I’d rather get nothing back than those 3 guys.

Soderblom has no where to play with Leevi and Mads in Belleville and AA for a year is not worth 2 years of Murphy.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We need a GM to “pull a Dubas”. LOL.
Yes, if the cost to move Korpisalo was only a 3rd & 7th which was the cost to move Murray, that would be palatable.

I’m not sure Chychrun has increased his trade value with his play this year. Staois has some work to do.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, if the cost to move Korpisalo was only a 3rd & 7th which was the cost to move Murray, that would be palatable.

I’m not sure Chychrun has increased his trade value with his play this year. Staois has some work to do.
We also retained 1.5 on Murray, maybe a team might be enticed by the LA Kings version of Korpisalo enough to commit 2.5 to him as a backup... Wishful thinking perhaps?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We also retained 1.5 on Murray, maybe a team might be enticed by the LA Kings version of Korpisalo enough to commit 2.5 to him as a backup... Wishful thinking perhaps?
I figured I had missed something. But, if something like that Murray deal could happen with the Korpse, it would be nice. It also could be a dream of course.

I have no idea what will happen with our goaltending situation, but I fear that it might not work out as well as we hope. Based on the little that we’ve heard on the subject, it appears like it could be Forsberg that could be moved which means the Korpse remains. That’s the main reason I talk about improving team D so much.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Get a UFA goalie. This team cannot go into next year with Korpisalo as the #1. Sogaard needs another year in the AHL to work on his lateral movement IMO.

No chance.

What UFA goalie is enough of an upgrade on Korpisalo to justify the cost of getting rid of Korpisalo?

Of this years crop of UFA goalies

The guy with the most wins- Talbot at 22 but Sens have been there done that.

Stolarz 14-5-1 1.97 Gaa and .927 sav % and Brossoit 12-5-2 2.05 GAA and .927% have the best numbers but that is as a back up facing lesser competition on a great team. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and neither will come close to those numbers in Ottawa even if they bring the panthers and jets starting 6 d-men with them.

The only starter available is Samsonov and in my mind he is not an upgrade on Korpisalo, this team will break him before the leaves fall.

Unless you are willing to trade 4 a goalie - Korpi is next years starter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad