Salary Cap: It's time to buyout the Lehman Brothers

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pick realistic 2
Anyone 2
Except from Murray and Hart
(We all know Swayman not coming here though)
Honestly can be worst than what we have
We're in disaster can't win territory regardless, so personally, I'm a fan of flinging other shit at the wall hoping it sticks, over running back the same thing you already know for sure doesn't work.

Korpisalo's career tells us everything we need to know. He's not good and for the most part he's never been good. He's not going to magically turn it around next year, and if he does, he'll surely suck for 2 or 3 after as per his norm.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If I am Ullmark, the Senators need to offer something like 6+ year at 6.5M with a NMC, front loaded money, and signing bonuses - and there has to be no other option for an early extension.

He will be 32 when a contract kicks in. Getting only 3-4 years term in Ottawa could be a career ender for a goalie at that stage of his career.

The tradeoff for coming to Ottawa would have to be that no matter what happens, he's maximized his earnings and can't get bought out or exiled to the AHL.

Look at Huberdeau. If he is like most players, Calgary was not his first choice - but he signed there because they gave him the absolute peak of his market value in money+terms and he is looking smart for taking it because he probably would have gotten tens of millions of dollars less as a free agent.
Idk that you have to worry about 4 years here being a career ender for Ulmark, he'd be 36 by the time a 4 yr deal ends, very few goalies continue to play at that age anyways, maybe they get one or two more yrs, his next contract is likely to be his last, at least as a starter, his concern is likely more focused on making sure it happens somewhere he feels he has a chance to win.

Reactions: WallyD

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t know what’s going on or what will happen. But, let’s just say that Bruce said Korpisalo will not be bought out, and Andlauer made more positive sounding comments about Senator goaltending. Bruce suggested that it could be Forsberg on the move.

It's a weird situation and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I don't think Garrioch is an "insider" about the Senator's future roster plans; rather I think he is just filling his column and airtime.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Idk that you have to worry about 4 years here being a career ender for Ulmark, he'd be 36 by the time a 4 yr deal ends, very few goalies continue to play at that age anyways, maybe they get one or two more yrs, his next contract is likely to be his last, at least as a starter, his concern is likely more focused on making sure it happens somewhere he feels he has a chance to win.

The point isn't that he will be done by 36.

The point is that I think he would want some sort of additional security or incentive to sign with a team that we assume is far from his first choice, and has been a bad spot for the career of goalies over the last 5+ years.

A longer buyout proof contract with a NMC would give a goalie in that position a lot of incentive to agree to come here. Which isn't me saying we should offer him that.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't think Garrioch is an "insider" about the Senator's future roster plans; rather I think he is just filling his column and airtime.
That could be but Andlauer’s comments seemed to align with what Bruce said.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's understandable that Sens nation would be writing these guys off as the worst goalies to have ever played for us. And yes, they have been bad this year.

But... there are always teams desperate for goaltending. And there aren't a lot of options. Just a hunch, but GMs around the league probably know Korpse and Forsberg aren't as bad as their records indicate. They know them as actual people.

They've had piss poor seasons playing behind a soft, inexperienced team. But I wouldn't be shocked if a GM, desperate enough for goaltending, picked Korpse up this summer.... and then watch him have a rebound year like Talbot did this season.
We need a GM to “pull a Dubas”. LOL.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The point isn't that he will be done by 36.

The point is that I think he would want some sort of additional security or incentive to sign with a team that we assume is far from his first choice, and has been a bad spot for the career of goalies over the last 5+ years.

A longer buyout proof contract with a NMC would give a goalie in that position a lot of incentive to agree to come here. Which isn't me saying we should offer him that.
Exactly. A goalie in this situation could go to a team that isn’t a tire fire defensively and have a more enjoyable experience winning. To go to the Senators given history, you’d want extra money and protection, or else you could find yourself in the AHL riding buses.

I would imagine that goalies have seen what happens to (multiple) goalies that play for the Senators and take that into consideration.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Exactly. A goalie in this situation could go to a team that isn’t a tire fire defensively and have a more enjoyable experience winning. To go to the Senators given history, you’d want extra money and protection, or else you could find yourself in the AHL riding buses.

I would imagine that goalies have seen what happens to (multiple) goalies that play for the Senators and take that into consideration.
Wouldn't it be something if the goalers where told "Hang tight for the rest of the year. We know it's shit and you are taking all the flak. We'll change things up in the off season to get you guys some help. But after that if you don't pick it up, we'll explore other options too."

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Make sense, but also barely matters when this team has no future progression as it is, and as much as the goalitending has been horrific, it's just one of several issues at hand.
Well it’s the biggest issue. Don’t think it’s close. And EVERY TEAM has issues.

Even the big bad perfect bruins got bounced in the first round last year. They had issues. They have issues this year too.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm fine to keep Forsberg. He's injury prone enough to end up on LTIR, can be buried, or worst case we have a crap back up for a year. Korpisalo is the albatross. He has to be bought out. If there's every a time for ownership to flex some cash, it's now.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Senators haven’t learned how to cover the opponents in their own zone that are in the best position to score. Last night was just another example of that.

But I thought that was why J Martin was brought in, as his “calling card” is his Defensive systems and getting the team to adhere to it….he’s been here for 60 games….. maybe he was not the best choice?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Stolartz or Brossoit would be fine on a 2 year.

Brossoit is a bit too inconsistent for my liking, but Stolarz would be great.

No idea why he hasn't gotten a shot to be a starting goalie yet. His numbers at lower levels were elite and he's got a .914 SV% through his career.

I expect he'll get more than 2 years given how many teams lack legit starters. Could see him getting a similar contract to Korpisalo, and at least there would be some justification for it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t see any chance of buying out Korpi this year, not with an 8 year penalty.

They’ll run him back for at least another year.
Forsberg is more likely.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ullmark is 30 yrs old & has another yr on his $5 mil contract. It seems Bost looked at trading him at the deadline & decided against it which means they may look again in the off season. Bost also showed some interest in Chychrun at the deadline who is at $4.6 mil with another yr left on his contract, could be a match.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
One of our problems is the eye test is bad and the underlying advanced stats are also bad.

There are always desperate GMs, usually our GM, but I'm not sure anyone is this desperate.

We'll have to see what the plan is because there is no way it can be rolling the dice again with both Korpisalo and Forsberg. You need someone you see as a legitimate starter for this team and one of Forsberg/Korpisalo can challenge that starter.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Use Chychrun to get Korpi off the books. A deal that sends both out with 7-9M back would be fine.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It is amazing how when you watch a Sens game and they have a stretch where they are pressuring and getting scoring chances, you just assume that the next time the opposing team gets it into the Sens end and throws it on net that it's going in.
Exactly this. That’s exactly what I was thinking early in the Blues game. We’re dominating but not scoring, pretty sure we are going to start letting in all the goals.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's understandable that Sens nation would be writing these guys off as the worst goalies to have ever played for us. And yes, they have been bad this year.

But... there are always teams desperate for goaltending. And there aren't a lot of options. Just a hunch, but GMs around the league probably know Korpse and Forsberg aren't as bad as their records indicate. They know them as actual people.

They've had piss poor seasons playing behind a soft, inexperienced team. But I wouldn't be shocked if a GM, desperate enough for goaltending, picked Korpse up this summer.... and then watch him have a rebound year like Talbot did this season.
Is your assumption that they would sign Korpisalo to a contract after he was bought out or would acquire him in a trade with Ottawa?

I think a team would sign either Forsberg or Korpisalo as a backup if they were UFAs; I doubt that they would be signed as the #1 goaltender at the salary that #1 goaltenders would generally get.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This team cant afford to continue to burn cap space. Better off signing a guy like Brossoit and sending whoever is worse Forsberg or Korpisalo to Belleville. Maybe Korpi bounces back if not buy him out next year so the cap hit isnt as bad.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Great point... your last one.

Many think it all comes down to "show me the money!". Certainly an important consideration, but many players, especially those late in their careers, are seeking legacy factors, playoffs, cup, great stats, etc. Witnessing from afar what has happened to so many other goalies who tried this market, does any goalie really want to come to Ottawa? It's bad enough for goalies, but I really think the Sens are going to have great difficulty attracting any player after this disaster year. If the results can change for the positive (significant changes needed) then the market becomes a bit more attractive, but I doubt Ottawa is on most players destination list right now. Just a sad but truthful reality.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Use Chychrun to get Korpi off the books. A deal that sends both out with 7-9M back would be fine.

Chychrun + Korpisalo

for

Murphy + Athanasiou + Soderblom

Chicago can afford to do things like this as they have time and cap space. They basically get Chychrun for Murphy, a 31 y/o defensive RHD with 2 years left

Athanasiou sucks but only 1 years left. Soderblom is another russian roulette tryout. But like this we're not stuck with Korpisalo. That would be another horrible Dorion trade tree but what can you do? There was no one with a brain to fire him all these years.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chychrun + Korpisalo

for

Murphy + Athanasiou + Soderblom

Chicago can afford to do things like this as they have time and cap space. They basically get Chychrun for Murphy, a 31 y/o defensive RHD with 2 years left

Athanasiou sucks but only 1 years left. Soderblom is another russian roulette tryout. But like this we're not stuck with Korpisalo. That would be another horrible Dorion trade tree but what can you do? There was no one with a brain to fire him all these years.
I’m liking the concept but I think a 3 team deal works better.

Chicago takes on Korpisalo + Washington 1st + 2025 2nd from Washington
Washington gets Chychrun
Ottawa gets out of Korpi contract.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I’m liking the concept but I think a 3 team deal works better.

Chicago takes on Korpisalo + Washington 1st + 2025 2nd from Washington
Washington gets Chychrun
Ottawa gets out of Korpi contract.

Trading Chychrun for nothing but getting rid of Korpisalo’s contract feels like a pretty terrible move to me.

People can dream about Saros or Ullmark all they want but these guys have NTCs. The challenge of finding two goalies in free agency means you probably have to keep Forsberg or Korpisalo regardless, and Korpi’s cap hit is only 1.25 million higher than Forsberg’s.

I don’t think the Sens should be giving Chychrun away. So given that we are stuck with a bad goalie regardless next season, the better move is to give Korpisalo another chance if that’s the only way you can get rid of him. It can’t really get any worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad