Buffalo Bills It's the Off-Season. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 20

Newton gets the win with 40% of the vote. Darius Robinson added.

New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 20

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (88%)
2. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU (83%)
3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (100%)
4. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame (38%)
4. Dallas Turner, DE, Alabama (38%)
6. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State (40%)
6. Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA (40%)
8. Brian Thomas Junior, WR, LSU (40%)
9. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon (40%)
9. Jared Verse, DE, Florida State (40%)
11. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia (50%)
12. Cooper Dejean, DB, Iowa (50%)
13. Byron Murphy, DT, Texas (40%)
14. Taliese Fuaga, OL, Oregon (25%)
14. JC Latham, OT, Alabama (25%)
14. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama (25%)
14. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo (25%)
18. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas (75%)
19. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois (40%)

I’m still voting for McConkey, add Mims now. Fascinating prospect with a great skill set but next to zero college experience.

Hopefully can have the next poll up later today if we get a couple more votes.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't have much faith in reports about the Bills targeting any specific players for trades or draft selections. Beane runs a tight ship. Rarely are reports accurate about those type of moves and if they are correct it may be more about if enough stories are written eventually one or two of them are correct even if there are no sources with direct knowledge of the move beforehand.
It’s lying season.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If the Bills plan to make a move into the top 10 for Odunze, they'll need a preliminary deal to move up into the teens. Teams willing to trade down out of top 10 are probably looking for a tackle, and they'll want to be sure they land one of the top guys. What I'm saying is, if there isn't a move into the teens by next week, it's not happening, imo.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
no thanks on aiyuk. Guys family was on social media causing drama within days of the Super Bowl loss. Wasn’t one of the reasons we moved diggs because of his off field distractions? And you don’t think he is going to want a diggs level contract? It’s just be trading one set of issues (cap and other) for another.

The best solution is to add a WR via the draft and another this summer. Have a deep talented room and leave some space to add someone in season if we need to.

If the Bills plan to make a move into the top 10 for Odunze, they'll need a preliminary deal to move up into the teens. Teams willing to trade down out of top 10 are probably looking for a tackle, and they'll want to be sure they land one of the top guys. What I'm saying is, if there isn't a move into the teens by next week, it's not happening, imo.

the bears at 9 might be willing to move back at bit. But….no guarantee that one of the big 3 WR will be there.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That's a stupid move to make, and I'm getting irritated at just how hyper-focused Bills' fans have become on the WR position as a whole. To the point I can't even listen to WGR anymore.

This team can win without Justin Jefferson or Ja'marr Chase or Tyreek Hill or Devante Adams, and they can lose with them. What they can't do is win with $80 million dollars tied up in two players on the same side of the ball. It takes organizational depth, which is the one thing the Bills, the Ravens, the Eagles, etc. all had in common prior to The Cap doing Cap things.

Trading a cost-controlled first-round draft pick in an incredibly deep wide-receiver class, for a wide-receiver on the wrong side of an ELC, that's a sure-fire way to continue chipping away at a core that has already been stripped to its core.
Great post. It's actually been this way for at least a couple of years now re 'Bills Mafia' being WR obsessed IMO - but this offseason, even before the Diggs trade - it's just gone into complete overdrive. It's got to the point where i can't even be bothered with ANY Bills media anymore - even the people who I'd ordinarily like to watch/read/follow. It's nauseating.

Aiyuk makes no sense for the reasons that you list. Then on top of that - there's the fact that he comes across as very high maintenance. After all the stuff we've been through with Diggs - you're telling me they're going to trade for another potential head case straight away ?

I’ll be eager to see if that consensus ends up true. I wonder what the highest a corner with that bad a of a 40 has ever been drafted
PFF spent a while discussing it on one of their mock drafts - i don't remember exactly which one. I'd expect him to fall - but not to the point where we should realistically be considering taking an outside corner (mid to late day 3).

no thanks on aiyuk. Guys family was on social media causing drama within days of the Super Bowl loss. Wasn’t one of the reasons we moved diggs because of his off field distractions? And you don’t think he is going to want a diggs level contract? It’s just be trading one set of issues (cap and other) for another.

The best solution is to add a WR via the draft and another this summer. Have a deep talented room and leave some space to add someone in season if we need to.

the bears at 9 might be willing to move back at bit. But….no guarantee that one of the big 3 WR will be there.
If Odunze is there at 9 - i don't see how Chicago doesn't sprint up to the podium & take him. He's a completely different player to both Moore & Allen - and they only have Allen signed for one year.

Reactions: Digable5

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 21

McConkey wins the poll with 50% of the vote. Mims added.

20. Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia (50%)

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington​

Before you say I’m nuts for putting Odunze so high, read the slight (and I mean slight) hesitations I have with the other two receivers in this group. NFL evaluators are much more critical than those outside team buildings. I have zero doubts about Odunze and his game. He can get away from tight coverage. He can run and accelerate in space. He can beat press technique at the line of scrimmage. He runs all kinds of routes and catches everything. He is also a good blocker, which will aid his team’s run game. He might not have the wow of Malik Nabers with his game-changing explosiveness, but he might be the “cleanest” of the wide receiver options.

5. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU​

Only 20 years old, Nabers’ speed forces defenses to play differently. This is easy to identify but hard to acquire. Speed is expensive to acquire in free agency. That is why I value this player this highly. His kind of explosive athletic ability will help the run game and open things up for others in the passing game, and if used correctly, it can put opposing defenses on their heels every Sunday.

8. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State​

Before you start yelling at me for having Harrison at No. 8, as with the two quarterbacks above, I see all three of these wide receivers as almost interchangeable depending on a team’s need at a particular skill set. I fully expect all three to be drafted in the top eight, and Harrison might even be the first receiver to go. I get it. But I have a slight hesitation with his game versus press coverage and when he has to put his foot in the ground to separate from tight man-to-man coverage. If you like Drake London, you’ll love Harrison. Still, teams might have these three ranked in a different order. All three are talented and will be good pros. It’s just a matter of what style floats your boat.

I will not be a fan of a big trade up for one of the top 3 WRs. Especially if it costs 3 (or more) of the 5 1st & 2nd round picks the Bills own in the 2024 & 2025 Drafts as of today.

But, I will be really excited if they get any of the three of them. I think that Odunze seems like the type of person that Beane & McDermott might really like. The talk that Chicago might want to move back from 9 because they own so few picks in this draft makes sense if one of the three falls that far.

However, I like the idea of spending 28, 60, and '25 1st on three different WRs more than trading those three picks to go up and get one WR.

Reactions: buffa dud

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Watch Beane trade up and take Latu with Brian Thomas Jr still on the board.

Pretty sure the bills fandom would implode.
I'm sure this is because they have him very high but the medicals could drop him. Probably want some clarity just in case.

Reactions: Husko

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

28. Buffalo Bills

Yates' pick: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

I've got Buffalo earmarked as a team that could trade up. But in this scenario, the Bills can stick at No. 28 and still land the speedy Mitchell -- who ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash at the combine and had just one drop in 2023.

60. Buffalo Bills

Yates' pick: Cole Bishop, S, Utah

The Bills have a few clear needs entering the draft, and after getting a wide receiver on Day 1 here, it's time to turn to safety. My No. 1-ranked player at the position, Bishop offers versatility, high-end man-coverage traits and speed.

Nothing real exciting here. Seems like the "average" picks if the Bills stay where they are.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I'm voting Fautanu here, he sticks out hard on our board. Brugler has him ranked #9 OA, and while I think that might be rich for someone that ultimately lands at guard, his versitility is a feature not a bug. He probably instantly steps in as our starting LG and longterm could be our LT or RT. One of the "safest" prospects in the draft.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Updating the possible adds list:
  • Nate Wiggins (CB, Clemson)
  • Tyler Guyton (OT, Oklahoma)
  • Kool-Aid McKinstry (CB, Alabama)
  • Jordan Morgan (OL, Oregon)
  • Marshawn Kneeland (DE, Western Michigan)
  • Zach Frazier (C, West Virginia)
  • Kris Jenkins (DT, Michigan)
  • Keon Coleman (WR, Florida State)
  • Cooper Beebe (G, Kansas State)
  • Jaden Hicks (S, Washington State)
  • Kingsley Saumataia (OT, BYU)
That's everyone in Brugler's top 40 we haven't added yet. FWIW Kneeland is the last guy he has a "1-2" round grade on, everyone below him is a firm round 2.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Vote Fautanu, add Jordan Morgan. Choosing an add was really tough here.

I'm telling every single one of you guys though... You're sleeping on this OL class. It's every bit as deep as the WR class imo - maybe even more so.

I don't get how JPJ went so early (too early imo) yet everyone else is languishing so far behind.

Case in point - I'm still waiting to vote for Barton. I'd definitely have him ahead of Mitchell, McConkey, both outside corners & Newton. Bowers too given we already have Knox/Kincaid.

In fact - if the Bills do end up going OL early - Barton's going to be the pick imo. Genuine 5 position flexibility, plus athleticism (9.99 for the RAS guys), relatively young for an OL, they've met with him but not JPJ. The only thing JPJ has going for him is the wrestling background.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I will not be a fan of a big trade up for one of the top 3 WRs. Especially if it costs 3 (or more) of the 5 1st & 2nd round picks the Bills own in the 2024 & 2025 Drafts as of today.

But, I will be really excited if they get any of the three of them. I think that Odunze seems like the type of person that Beane & McDermott might really like. The talk that Chicago might want to move back from 9 because they own so few picks in this draft makes sense if one of the three falls that far.

However, I like the idea of spending 28, 60, and '25 1st on three different WRs more than trading those three picks to go up and get one WR.
I'm with you right up until the last paragraph. But I'd honestly rather trade every single pick in the next two drafts for Odunze instead of the bolded.

Drafting three different players at the same position with such high picks would be bad asset management on an absolutely staggering scale. What are you going to do, invent a new base 6 WR formation? Or maybe sub out Allen & have one of the WRs throw instead? :laugh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Stiggers on a 30 visit with Buffalo! Eeek!
Not sure why you'd "eeek!" that.

Guy may have taken a non-traditional route, but most national draftniks say he's worth a late round pick. McDermott are crew are CB whisperers, and I think we all here believe they're taking one later.

I'd prefer Devonshire or King or Newton as a later round CB......but I'd trust that McD and staff can coach up Stiggers.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm with you right up until the last paragraph. But I'd honestly rather trade every single pick in the next two drafts for Odunze instead of the bolded.

Drafting three different players at the same position with such high picks would be bad asset management on an absolutely staggering scale. What are you going to do, invent a new base 6 WR formation? Or maybe sub out Allen & have one of the WRs throw instead? :laugh:

Agreed. If I have the choice between (for example): Ad Mitchell, Polk and some 1st round WR next year or Odunze.......gimme Odunze. Hell, gimme MHJ.

Personally I'm a bit leery of Nabers.....IMO, he's got the biggest bust potential of the big 3........so I might take JimBob's pupu platter over him. But.....Odunze? Yes, please.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Agreed. If I have the choice between (for example): Ad Mitchell, Polk and some 1st round WR next year or Odunze.......gimme Odunze. Hell, gimme MHJ.

Personally I'm a bit leery of Nabers.....IMO, he's got the biggest bust potential of the big 3........so I might take JimBob's pupu platter over him. But.....Odunze? Yes, please.
Let it be said that I'm a fan of neither approach.

Trust your scouting, let the board come to you & take one guy this year. Be that Mitchell, Polk, whoever. Give him the reps & see how he does.

If by this time next year you're looking at a complete bust - then maybe reevaluate.

But with the depth of this year's WR class & this regime's track record at drafting/developing players... I'll bet that whoever they pick will become a useful contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad