Line Combos: It's Shuffling Time!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I could easily see the 4th line getting next to no playing time if Vey isn't cutting it in a game and also King getting pushed up to Pearson's slot with Brown back to LW on the 3rd line and Nolan/Lewis moved to RW on the 3rd line.

A lot can go wrong with this lineup, but hey Vey and Pearson are the shiny new toys.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I could easily see the 4th line getting next to no playing time if Vey isn't cutting it in a game and also King getting pushed up to Pearson's slot with Brown back to LW on the 3rd line and Nolan/Lewis moved to RW on the 3rd line.

A lot can go wrong with this lineup, but hey Vey and Pearson are the shiny new toys.

It isn't about Pearon/Vey being the shiny new toys. It is about the team playing so horrible that there is no reason not to start the Monarchs roster at this point. Really what's the downside? Pearson's going to get burned a few times and the Kings lose 3:2 instead of losing 1:0?

Maybe the Kings forgot how bad the offense was before the Olympics.

Edit: I'd be more worried about jet lagged Goaltending.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Happy to see they are finally mixing things up.

A year ago Sutter would have tried Clifford in a scoring role for the 1456th time and Fraser would still be centering the 4th line.It didn't matter how awful either guy played, that is how it would have gone.

Happy to see some skill in the lineup, although I hate seeing 11 and 77 split up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It isn't about Pearon/Vey being the shiny new toys. It is about the team playing so horrible that there is no reason not to start the Monarchs roster at this point. Really what's the downside? Pearson's going to get burned a few times and the Kings lose 3:2 instead of losing 1:0?

Maybe the Kings forgot how bad the offense was before the Olympics.

Edit: I'd be more worried about jet lagged Goaltending.

Your assuming Pearson and Vey are going to produce offense, that's a big assumption.

Again, the offense starts in the Kings' own zone. The biggest problem is the transition game and a good first pass from the defense. I seriously doubt, based on what we have seen this season, that Sutter will stick with Pearson and Vey for very long.

The downside of Pearson getting burned a few times is the Kings losing hockey games. Defense is their identity whether we like it or not. I don't think playing Pearson is suddenly going to make the Kings an offensive dynamo.

AlabamaKingsFan

Jan 29, 2014
I like it there is youth and hunger on all lines.possibly that youths energy will spark a hunger in their linemates.if we get one solid period of that line up I will be very, very surprised.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Pearson was average in February in Manchester, I was actually surprised he got called up.

I was hoping Sutter would play him with Vey to make the kid more relaxed.

Maybe Sutter wants to see how the kid handles being thrown to the wolf's.

I will say, Vey/Pearson are not anywhere close to being as skilled as Toffoli.

I wouldn't expect any offense from these guys, just energy and a willingness to learn.

That may be all the Kings want from them.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Some of the video I saw today showed the students at the University of Denver were watching the practice today all around the glass. They all looked so stoke to see these guys practicing on their rink.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I don't expect offense from Pearson/Vey... I expect Sutter to bench them. They are both young, may or may not be ready. They both have more offensive skill then Fraser/Lewis.

If this is indeed a throw away season as some have called it why not get the youth some experience? Oh that's right Pearson/Vey will lose games for the Kings... Kings were doing just fine at that without Pearson/Vey.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
Are you an expert?

I'm pretty sure nothing in my post implied that I think that I am an expert.

All I know is that this happens every year right before the trade deadline - impending UFAs or mid to high-tier prospects are showcased on lines they have absolutely no business being on, in order to boost their trade value.

Do you think that it is just a coincidence that a week before the deadline Pearson is slated to play on a line with arguably the best two forwards on the team (minus Richards' recent decline) who have shown chemistry throughout their entire career with almost anybody who is put on their line?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

All I know is that this happens every year right before the trade deadline - impending UFAs or mid to high-tier prospects are showcased on lines they have absolutely no business being on, in order to boost their trade value.

Do you think that it is just a coincidence that a week before the deadline Pearson is slated to play on a line with arguably the best two forwards on the team (minus Richards' recent decline) who have shown chemistry throughout their entire career with almost anybody who is put on their line?

If that's what you're going by, Pearson looked like garbage with Richards (and Carter?) earlier this year...so if he's being showcased, let's hope it's with Kopitar :P

goosh

Nov 25, 2010

Or maybe, just maybe, Sutter is looking to spark the offense (which, you know, is second-to-worst in the league) by putting a budding forward with offensive ability in a position to succeed.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I don't expect offense from Pearson/Vey... I expect Sutter to bench them. They are both young, may or may not be ready. They both have more offensive skill then Fraser/Lewis.

If this is indeed a throw away season as some have called it why not get the youth some experience? Oh that's right Pearson/Vey will lose games for the Kings... Kings were doing just fine at that without Pearson/Vey.

Throw away season????? This is decided by experts on a hockey blog LMAO 64 million cap more like 80 million actual payroll, Sc champs, WCF's finals , then throw away season sounds right ......best def in league in a league where they win championships on D = throw
W away season LMAO.......just because we do not agree with there moves does not mean throw away season and I doubt a guy like sutter has actually thrown away a day of his life never mind collaborated throwing away a season holy **** you guys get crazier every time can't sleep

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I really don't think contending teams in a horrible slump looking to secure a playoff spot is gonna ice anything but the lineup they think gives them their best chance to win on a given night. Showcasing is for teams in very strong, safe positions or out of the playoffs completely.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Throw away season????? This is decided by experts on a hockey blog LMAO 64 million cap more like 80 million actual payroll, Sc champs, WCF's finals , then throw away season sounds right ......best def in league in a league where they win championships on D = throw
W away season LMAO.......just because we do not agree with there moves does not mean throw away season and I doubt a guy like sutter has actually thrown away a day of his life never mind collaborated throwing away a season holy **** you guys get crazier every time can't sleep

One of the youth haters mentioned in the thread on Goalie's being captains that this may be a throw away season. I do not believe the season is over at this point. There are some issues that need to be addressed. Also DL probably doesn't believe the season is over. My point was if some people think the season is over what is their objection to getting youth in the line up.

Pearson being showcased. Don't think this is the case. More likely this is the last chance for DL/Sutter to evaluate whether or not Pearson is going to be able to fill one of the bigest holes the Kings have from within before DL goes looking at trading assets for a fix. Could he still be traded sure.

On Kings D/transition game needing to be addressed to improve the offense. Sure. That could always help.

Problem 1: Sutter likes the controlled (slow) break out that leads to puck possession and limiting neutral zone turnovers. Recently the Kings broke from this and tried to emphasize a faster breakout.

Problem 2: What do the Kings have to pick up a #2 D. The competition/play between Doughty/Weber in the Olympics was great to watch. Would love to get Doughty a world class partner. Don't know how the Kings afford it. That leaves guys like Muzzin (young), Mitchell/Regehr (vets) that are probably more in the Kings price range. Are the obtainable options out there better then what the Kings have? Don't forget there are a bunch of other teams looking for top pairing D.

May be easier to address in the offseason. Also factor in cap and the fact that teams don't normally trade their good D.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
BhWixRFCUAEneR-.jpg

Dustin Brown has to be the Vlade Divac of the team.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I love how they're all lined up at the free throw line like it's shootout practice.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Your assuming Pearson and Vey are going to produce offense, that's a big assumption.

Again, the offense starts in the Kings' own zone. The biggest problem is the transition game and a good first pass from the defense. I seriously doubt, based on what we have seen this season, that Sutter will stick with Pearson and Vey for very long.

The downside of Pearson getting burned a few times is the Kings losing hockey games. Defense is their identity whether we like it or not. I don't think playing Pearson is suddenly going to make the Kings an offensive dynamo.

At this point I don't understand why anyone would be against giving some of our ahl guys, that have been successful creating offense at their level, a chance to see if they can do the same for our club.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
At this point I don't understand why anyone would be against giving some of our ahl guys, that have been successful creating offense at their level, a chance to see if they can do the same for our club.

I am all for it, I simply have realistic expectations, cause I watch a lot these guys in Manchester.

It won't surprise me when they fail to produce at the NHL level in their first 50+ games or so.

Neither Vey/Pearson are as skilled as Toffoli.

I will say, Vey/Pearson will add so much needed energy and fresh legs in the lineup though.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I'm not against it. Pearson was given an opportunity and didn't cut it, and was a liability in his own end. He needs to be in Manchester working on his game, not on Richards' LW. Vey may be able to provide some help.

I'm not counting on these guys to be the answer to the Kings' problems with goal scoring though as those problems start with the transition game and the defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad