Confirmed with Link: It's happening: All purpose expansion thread

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
So we trade Methot in an expansion induced buyers market, and are forced to lose one of our forwards (likely MacArthur should he rebound from the concussion which I certainly wouldn't write off).

To me, the payoff will likely be minimal. I get that you don't want to lose Methot for nothing, but we're essentially trading him now and one of MacArthur or Lazar or whoever we leave unprotected, heck, a guy like Claesson or Wideman might break out and make themselves a target, not sure if Englund would be eligible, the SHL is a pro league and he's played more than 2 years) at a later date for relatively little in return.

I agree that guys like Yandle and maybe Goligoski will go after NMC, Russell and Quincey imo won't get them though. Remember, it's not just us that will be very hesitant in giving out NMC. You'd only do it for a guy that will be a top 3 player on your D, and only if you aren't already forced to protect somebody you don't want to.

The beauty is though, we can try to do this before resorting to trading Methot, who imo we should only consider moving at the trade deadline unless somebody overpays. At the deadline, we'd get the same value you'd get for a rental, plus an expanded market increasing the value, as teams with 4 D look to shelter themselves in the way I'm suggesting we do now, and other teams that don't have 3 D they can protect might also get into the mix.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't explore trading Methot, just that I don't see the rush. People will try and low ball us now, and we can still use him. They might try and low ball us later, but I see some teams having more urgency to acquire him at that point (playoff push, ect).

Problem for any team trading for help/depth at the trade deadline is simple IMO. Any player acquired for depth isn't likely to be a candidate to be protected, therefore team's will be extremely hesitant to offer much in return.

IMO the Senators must protect Karlsson and Ceci, leaving one spot for either Phaneuf, Methot or Wideman.

JMO but if the Sens had to submit their protected list today, Karlsson, Phaneuf and Ceci are on it.

So if the Sens have any thought of trading Methot, the timing is likely irrelevant.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Problem for any team trading for help/depth at the trade deadline is simple IMO. Any player acquired for depth isn't likely to be a candidate to be protected, therefore team's will be extremely hesitant to offer much in return.

IMO the Senators must protect Karlsson and Ceci, leaving one spot for either Phaneuf, Methot or Wideman.

JMO but if the Sens had to submit their protected list today, Karlsson, Phaneuf and Ceci are on it.

So if the Sens have any thought of trading Methot, the timing is likely irrelevant.

Phaneuf has a nmc so he has to be protected

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So Bill Daly cleared up the whole Vegas Draft Guarantee: Las Vegas is guaranteed to get the odds normally reserved for the 3rd worst team next summer, and then that's it.

No "guaranteed 4 years of top picks" like it was rumored before. After the 2017 draft, their draft position is 100% dictated by their place in the standings (unless they win a lottery pick, obviously).

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Phaneuf has a No-Trade Clause (12 teams he will accept trade to).

Bobby Ryan is apparently the only Senator that has a NMC (10 teams he will not accept a trade to).

Phaneuf has both an NMC and a modified NTC. He'll have to be protected.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
So Bill Daley clearwd up the whole Vegas Draft Guarantee: Las Vegas is guaranteed to get the odds normally reserved for the 3rd worst team next summer, and then that's it.

No "guaranteed 4 years of top picks" like it was rumored before. After the 2017 draft, their draf position is 100% dictated by their place in the standings (unleas they win a lottery pick, obviously).

Thats good.

It wouldn't have been fair to Edmonton for years 7-9 of the rebuild

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
So Bill Daley clearwd up the whole Vegas Draft Guarantee: Las Vegas is guaranteed to get the odds normally reserved for the 3rd worst team next summer, and then that's it.

No "guaranteed 4 years of top picks" like it was rumored before. After the 2017 draft, their draf position is 100% dictated by their place in the standings (unleas they win a lottery pick, obviously).

There are a few people complaining about this, but it seems fair to me.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Thats good.

It wouldn't have been fair to Edmonton for years 7-9 of the rebuild

:laugh:

:handclap:

But really....you'd have to think Vegas is going to get a top 8 pick for the next 5 years either way. Since teams have a year to prepare and move any 'claimable' decent players before the expansion draft, they won't have much of a roster to work with for a few years.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
:laugh:

:handclap:

But really....you'd have to think Vegas is going to get a top 8 pick for the next 5 years either way. Since teams have a year to prepare and move any 'claimable' decent players before the expansion draft, they won't have much of a roster to work with for a few years.

Yeah its hard to say - I don't think the projected roster looks great but I bet there will be some surprises, especially if you factor in free agents and possible trades they can make.

And moving claimable decent players is going to be tricky - there are a few teams like the Leafs who have surplus protection spots but most teams already are tight on that front.

All in all, this feels like something from a video game

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah its hard to say - I don't think the projected roster looks great but I bet there will be some surprises, especially if you factor in free agents and possible trades they can make.

And moving claimable decent players is going to be tricky - there are a few teams like the Leafs who have surplus protection spots but most teams already are tight on that front.

All in all, this feels like something from a video game

Yes, this is a serious issue added to every trade. Getting a player in a trade means you're likely going to lose another player next year. Or if the trade doesn't pan out, lose that same guy for nothing. For instance, someone said we should get Despres, which would be pretty cool except that we'll lose him next year (or Ceci, I guess) and those assets we traded go down the drain.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A chance to get rid of Dion!? :yo:

Dion's NMC means he must be protected, so no, not a chance.

Aside from that, we traded for him because we needed a player of his caliber. Highly unlikely we even consider moving Dion at the moment.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah we should not get rid of Phaneuf... especially considering all the young defencemen we have - not only on our NHL roster but also in the minors and as prospects.

You keep a guy like Phaneuf around since Phillips is gone. Phaneuf is easily a #3-4 guy on nearly every team in the league. He leads by example. He leads in the room. This is a huge deal for a team as young as our team. It's a huge deal considering all the young defensemen we have. And the only reason I say nearly is because I'm too lazy to go through rosters. I'd bet he would slot into the top 4 on any team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad