Confirmed with Link: It's happening: All purpose expansion thread

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I sorta let it slip from my mind for a while that we have Dion on the team going into next year. It was pretty cool to be like "oh ya, we have that guy".

Really happy having him going forward, but it will suck to lose Meth.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I sorta let it slip from my mind for a while that we have Dion on the team going into next year. It was pretty cool to be like "oh ya, we have that guy".

Still feels weird to have him on our team.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Im still praying LV takes well anybody else who we leave unprotected, Mac, Hammond, Smith, Wideman.. doesnt matter.. just let us keep Methot

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The thing is - a lot will depend on what other teams leave unprotected. Methot is good yeah - but it helps him a lot that he has a guy like Karlsson beside him. Will Las Vegas really prioritize an older defensive guy? They could and it might be likely but I don't think it's a slam dunk like many here are talking about it being.

We're looking at our team going "yeah they'll take this guy". Las Vegas is going to be looking at a giant list of available players. They might pick a riskier, younger player with potential. They might have picked other defensemen from other teams.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The thing is - a lot will depend on what other teams leave unprotected. Methot is good yeah - but it helps him a lot that he has a guy like Karlsson beside him. Will Las Vegas really prioritize an older defensive guy? They could and it might be likely but I don't think it's a slam dunk like many here are talking about it being.

We're looking at our team going "yeah they'll take this guy". Las Vegas is going to be looking at a giant list of available players. They might pick a riskier, younger player with potential. They might have picked other defensemen from other teams.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Exactly...
I wish I actually knew all 29 other teams well enough to properly put together a list of who is going to be available. They need to take 14F, 9D and 3G as minimums. So that leaves 4 teams where they can take from any position.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Exactly...
I wish I actually knew all 29 other teams well enough to properly put together a list of who is going to be available. They need to take 14F, 9D and 3G as minimums. So that leaves 4 teams where they can take from any position.

I think it would be interesting if each team board put forward their "best guess" list of unprotected players at the start of and end of the 2016-2017 season.

But that would require a lot of coordination and time and I'm not sure how much interest there would be across HF.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think it would be interesting if each team board put forward their "best guess" list of unprotected players at the start of and end of the 2016-2017 season.

But that would require a lot of coordination and time and I'm not sure how much interest there would be across HF.

Yeah. Probably best to wait until the start of the season before really doing it because of free agency.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So players cant waive their NMC for expansion? I think if the sens convince Phaneuf to waive we can keep our whole top 4 since no team should be stupid enough to take Phaneufs contract.

from wikipedia
and any players with NMCs would be able to waive the clause and become eligible for the expansion draft

If Phaneuf is smart he waives letting us protect Methot, and his contract will protect him. Then we lose one of Lazar/Pageau

Same thing can apply to Ryan but he does seem like he would be more a holish to it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So players cant waive their NMC for expansion? I think if the sens convince Phaneuf to waive we can keep our whole top 4 since no team should be stupid enough to take Phaneufs contract.

from wikipedia

If Phaneuf is smart he waives letting us protect Methot, and his contract will protect him. Then we lose one of Lazar/Pageau

Same thing can apply to Ryan but he does seem like he would be more a holish to it.

I absolutely think that, if given the choice, Vegas seriously considers taking Phaneuf over Methot.

In fact, I'm almost positive they do.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I absolutely think that, if given the choice, Vegas seriously considers taking Phaneuf over Methot.

In fact, I'm almost positive they do.

I doubt it, the only reason the sens took on phaneuf ... well the main reason they took on phaneuf was to dump the cowen and Greening contracts because they couldn't afford to pay players to not play for them. If they are given the opportunity to get rid of his contract free of charge they should take it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I doubt it, the only reason the sens took on phaneuf ... well the main reason they took on phaneuf was to dump the cowen and Greening contracts because they couldn't afford to pay players to not play for them. If they are given the opportunity to get rid of his contract free of charge they should take it.

No, the main reason we took on Phaneuf is because we desperately needed another competent defenceman if we had any hope of competing.

It was made possible due to Toronto being able to take those bad contracts.

Those are two different points.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

So you want us to go back to having a ****** defense?

Be reminded that this team is not going to be able to afford any of the possible top 4 defenseman that make it to free agency next year.

They also most likely won't be able to trade for another one being that trades for top 4 defenseman are very hard.

So again we will have to force a rookie into a top 4 spot. History has taught us that this will just be another disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad