Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Mitch will be playing for the London Knights even if the Leafs are totally impressed with him at camp. Because you can see what the leafs have done with the ufa signings no young prospects will be exposed to next season even Connor Brown. The Knights have built a Memorial cup stacked team that will be led by Magical Mitch.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
hes not ready for the leafs.

I agree. He's too wide-eyed and starstruck right now. He's coming in and facing a whole new experience. Let him have one year so he knows what to expect, and so he can prepare himself accordingly. Unless he totally dominates the training camp and preseason in the manner similar to what McDavid will be doing, he will be wearing a Knights jersey in the fall imo.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dermott has a small chance for Team Canada. Their depth isn't as good defensively this time around so if he starts the year really well, he could be a good option for them. He was invited to the summer camp as well, so he's on the radar.

He's battling against names like Fleury, Hicketts, Sanheim, Juulsen, McKeown, Roy, Dunn and a few other names. Nothing earth shattering really.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We have...

Marner (Canada)
Bracco (USA)
Dzierkels (Latvia)
Timashov (potentially, he was invited to the Swedish camp)

So could be a nice turn out for the Leafs at the WJC.

FYI: Latvia is not in the Top Division after being relegated in the past so Dzierkels is not a player we will see. Denmark and Belarus are he 2 Countries that will be in this years 2016 WJC tournament with the main courtries.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dermott has a small chance for Team Canada. Their depth isn't as good defensively this time around so if he starts the year really, he could be a good option for them. He was invited to the summer camp as well, so he's on the radar.

He's battling against names like Fleury, Hicketts, Sanheim, Juulsen, McKeown, Roy, Dunn and a few other names. Nothing earth shattering really.

Fleury and Sanheim are probably locks right?

Latvia is not in the Top Division after being relegated in the past so Dzierkels is not a player we will see. Denmark and Belarus are he 2 Countries that will be in this years 2016 WJC tournament with the main courtries.

COME ON LATVIA!!!! *$!*@*$1

Jk lol.

At least we get a closer view of him in the Q.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think they'll go. I see management seeing it as a valuable learning experience before them, especially as both will be key players on their respective teams and will be seen as leaders. Losing a few guys for a few weeks isn't a huge deal.

They've both been there all ready, so the experience is all ready in their pocket.

Management would highly prefer their top contributions on the Marlies then them contributing to a tournament they've been to all ready. Losing either in the middle of the season would be a big deal, especially Nylander. I get that it would be exciting for us to see them at the WJC to light it up but for the Maple Leafs, they would prefer their contributions to be for the Marlies.

I'd be very surprised if either went.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Dermott has a small chance for Team Canada. Their depth isn't as good defensively this time around so if he starts the year really, he could be a good option for them. He was invited to the summer camp as well, so he's on the radar.

Chychrun is eligible too, no? Or will Hockey Canada leave him out until he's drafted?

They've both been there all ready, so the experience is all ready in their pocket.

Management would highly prefer their top contributions on the Marlies then them contributing to a tournament they've got to all ready. Losing either in the middle of the season would be a big deal, especially Nylander.

I'd be very surprised if either went, but Kapanen is a bit more likely then Nylander.
Totally see your point of view, and it could go either way.

One thing worth mentioning is that the Marlies didn't even have Nylander for the first half of the season, and still made the playoffs in the end. So if the team is doing well and is competitive up until the WJC, they may be more tempted to let the two (or one) go to the tournament, as they'll be in a good position in the standings with the second half to go once they return from the tournament.

Will be interesting either way!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Chychrun is eligible too, no? Or will Hockey Canada leave him out until he's drafted?

One thing worth mentioning is that the Marlies didn't even have Nylander for the first half of the season, and still made the playoffs in the end. So if the team is doing well and is competitive up until the WJC, they may be more tempted to let the two (or one) go to the tournament, as they'll be in a good position in the standings with the second half to go once they return from the tournament.

Just one last note, since this is the Marner thread, is that the Marlies were at the bottom of the standings up until around December. Putting Nylander on that team was a big reason why they were able to barely clinch the playoffs.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Just one last note, since this is the Marner thread, is that the Marlies were at the bottom of the standings up until around December. Putting Nylander on that team was a major reason why they were able to barely clinch the playoffs.
I know that, I'm just saying that the season is long so losing him for 2-3 weeks isn't that big of a deal if management deems it worthwhile for him to go, and they can still be competitive and make the playoffs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Except for that time they had five Canadians and the captain of team Sweden in their organization.

Sigh....summer days.

That was 12 years ago now, though. That's a long time, some people here might've been too young at the time, or maybe weren't following prospects closely, you never know. Might be a bit hasty to jump straight to ignorance.

I went to a bunch of those games though, that was one hell of a tournament as a Leafs fan. Colaiacovo lit that place up.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Management would highly prefer their top contributions on the Marlies then them contributing to a tournament they've been to all ready. Losing either in the middle of the season would be a big deal, especially Nylander. I get that it would be exciting for us to see them at the WJC to light it up but for the Maple Leafs, they would prefer their contributions to be for the Marlies.

I'd be very surprised if either went.

The Leafs have came out and said that the actual performance of the Marlies isn't nearly as important as the development is. Dubas said the team wasn't built to win but develop.

The Leafs will do what is best for their development. Taking leadership roles for their countries could very well be that.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The Leafs have came out and said that the actual performance of the Marlies isn't nearly as important as the development is. Dubas said the team wasn't built to win but develop.

The Leafs will do what is best for their development. Taking leadership roles for their countries could very well be that.
Agreed. If there's a chance Nylander wears the C for Sweden I think we let him go, pretty easily...

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Not necessarily, and in fact he should be looked at as almost a lock with a somewhat underwhelming crop of Defensemen this year.

Crouse made the team last year, so draft status doesn't play a role, though it is fairly uncommon on a usually very deep team like Canada.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
This guy an offensive pilot you heard me!!
Look at him fly on go doing it like a G.O! Seen those highlights and him stickhandling... mann.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Absolutely not, and they shouldn't even be considering it.

He certainly has the skill to play in the league and they absolutely should consider it. There is no value in being close minded about anything and I'd be very surprised if they are.

FWIW, I believe he is sent back to London.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Maybe it is another player, but I thought Nylander was not happy with how he was used last WJC?

Maybe it would depend on who was coaching?

Marner you would think would be on TC.

How could he be unhappy with the first line and first PP unit?

Could Nylander switch to Team Canada ? He was born here after all (though he may not be a citizen).

Even if he wanted to, which I'm sure he doesn't, he wouldn't be able to (per IIHF rules).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could Nylander switch to Team Canada ? He was born here after all (though he may not be a citizen).

u18s don't matter, but I think for the U20s once you play for a national team that is pretty much your team going forward.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
How could he be unhappy with the first line and first PP unit?

He played closer to 2nd line minutes and was used on the wing a lot, at least early on in the tournament. He was used on the 1st PP unit, and eventually did get more minutes and time down the middle, but he wasn't used as well as he could have been during the first couple of games, even though he did continue to produce. During their last two or three games it was like he was on the ice every second shift, he got a lot more responsibility. I'm assuming he was happy with the adjustments, and it showed in his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad