Blue Jays Discussion: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Kevin Pillar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
With 2 NL games coming up they'll be using a bench player everytime the pitcher comes up to hit in the 2nd half of the game. You need the extra bench players more than you need 9 pen arms. Especially considering you probably don't use your backup catcher to PH you only have 2 guys. Now the depth is pretty much all gone with all the injuries, but still, Campos isn't needed as a 9th guy either.

It being 7 games from now though is the only excuse I can think of. (I think they should have called a position player too).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It being 7 games from now though is the only excuse I can think of. (I think they should have called a position player too).

It's 2 games from now. Jays play 2 against the Braves at home and then 2 against the Braves in Atlanta.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They have 1 spot open on the 40 man like Discoverer mentioned so they literally could add anyone they wanted. Assuming they don't want to do that their options are limited with the depth they're already using. Only 4 hitters in Ceciliani, Alford, Urena, and Ramirez, and you assume they won't call up the latter 3(though Alford up for a cup of coffee for a couple days would be cool it's not happening)

Also of note that Tulo is supposed to be back either the first or 2nd game of that 2 game road Atlanta series so whoever they called up here was likely going right back down anyway. And it might not even matter for the NL park series as Tulo might be back in 2 days when that starts and you have a 4 man bench, 8 pen again.

Even though he's been brutal I think I would have called up Ceciliani for these 2 or 3 games. Needing a 9th pen arm who we won't ever use in an important situation is quite unlikely.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Jays 40 man roster thing, can anyone find an accurate list? Everyone I find doesn't have Campos on it. They actually might be at the 40 limit. The latest 40 man move I can find on MLBTR for Toronto was them DFAing Neil Ramirez 6 days ago to clear a 40 man spot for Bolsinger so presumably they were at the limit both before at after those moves.

Both BR and the Jays official website have 39 man rosters, but don't have Campos on them which would make it 40 assuming all the other names are correct

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The Jays 40 man roster thing, can anyone find an accurate list? Everyone I find doesn't have Campos on it. They actually might be at the 40 limit. The latest 40 man move I can find on MLBTR for Toronto was them DFAing Neil Ramirez 6 days ago to clear a 40 man spot for Bolsinger so presumably they were at the limit both before at after those moves.

Both BR and the Jays official website have 39 man rosters, but don't have Campos on them which would make it 40 assuming all the other names are correct

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/teamPage.asp?T=30&Page=40man

Oddly, the late Walter Frey (aka the baseball cube) has Campos on the 40 man.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/teamPage.asp?T=30&Page=40man

Oddly, the late Walter Frey (aka the baseball cube) has Campos on the 40 man.

Saw that one too actually, but counted 41 guys so didn't trust it either. Is McFarland on the 40 man? That has him there but the others don't.

edit: He was cut and later resigned 4 days later last August during his long injury. Was on the 40 man before that, I assume that takes him off of it? That website still has him on it recently when he pitched 5 games for NH this year, and he's back on their DL now. We can't have a 40 man roster with 41 players on it and everyone else looks right so I assume he's the wrong one.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
speaking of the 40 man, Pompey isn't on it because he's on the 60 day DL but hasn't played long enough that he can come off it whenever he's healthy. has anyone heard anything? That concussion he suffered must be 1 hell of a *****. Concussions are really scary when they last this long

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
speaking of the 40 man, Pompey isn't on it because he's on the 60 day DL but hasn't played long enough that he can come off it whenever he's healthy. has anyone heard anything? That concussion he suffered must be 1 hell of a *****. Concussions are really scary when they last this long

Of Mississauga’s Dalton Pompey, who suffered a concussion at the World Baseball Classic, Gibbons said: “He’s starting to do some things, but I don’t think he’s closeâ€

That's from yesterday.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
woot! Jansen promoted to AA.

so good to hear. and so good to see him bounce back so well after last year's disaster year.

AA is the age appropriate level for a 22yr old, so let's see if he can keep looking like a legit prospect there.

Scouts still like Pentecost better (yes, I know you're obsessed with age/level). Emily Waldon says she spoke to an opposing team's scout who said that Pentecost is the real deal if he can stay healthy. Above average MLB catcher.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Speaking of which, Pentecost hit another dinger. It's good to see him at least take care of the offense while down there. Hopefully his arm isn't completely dead.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'm hoping the Jansen promotion is a sign that they're ready for Pentecost to start catching more regularly.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Man Howell has been just an awful sign
Smith on the other hand has been great.

Bullpen signings are usually a mixed bag. It's really hard to know what you're going to get year to year so I'm glad we lower the risk by handing out one year deals. You don't want to be stuck with a reliever when he implodes or blows his arm out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Scouts still like Pentecost better (yes, I know you're obsessed with age/level). Emily Waldon says she spoke to an opposing team's scout who said that Pentecost is the real deal if he can stay healthy. Above average MLB catcher.

i know what the interweb scouts think. and they also like mcguire better.

but i've long thought that i wouldn't be surprised to see Jansen be the one who ends up as an mlb starter in the end, and i'm probably less surprised than anyone to see jansen doing what he's doing this year.

(and hey, if you're using a month and a half as proof you/they were right about Bellinger, i should use the same to prove i was right about jansen, no?)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
i know what the interweb scouts think. and they also like mcguire better.

but i've long thought that i wouldn't be surprised to see Jansen be the one who ends up as an mlb starter in the end, and i'm probably less surprised than anyone to see jansen doing what he's doing this year.

(and hey, if you're using a month and a half as proof you/they were right about Bellinger, i should use the same to prove i was right about jansen, no?)

I think actual scouts love Pentecost as well. The real question is the health. If he's healthy, he's got the athleticism and bat to ball skill to be Jason Kendall-esque. You have to remember the Cubs were considering him at the 4th slot that year before ultimately taking Schwarber. I imagine the only reason he remains in A+ is due to the proximity to the training center as they are monitoring him daily.

That's not to disparage Jansen, whom people around here have talked about, and loved, since he was at Bluefield. He's got the best plate discipline of all three (by far), and he's been a darkhorse prospect for most of us since 2014.

McGuire gets love because he's considered the best defender/game caller/manager (plus-plus) of the three. It's doubtful he hits at all in the Majors, but he'll be there as a Mathis\Malle type.

Catchers are fickle, though. In '11, we had four who were considered actual decent to blue chip prospects. One is retired, one can't stay off the DL, and two are essentially quad-A guys now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad