GDT: "IT WAS IN! NEVER FORGET 2004" Bolts @ Flames, 7:00 PM SNET360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Only the top 3 picks are determined by lottery balls... so if our pick turns out to be #4 overall, we would have to finished 31st, 30th, 29th or 28th in the standings and get passed by 3, 2, 1 or 0 teams four our pick to be 4th overall but if that's what you're eyes are telling you than you're probably right

You really are obsessed with this eyes thing aren't you?

It's kind of pathetic.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The recent losses are very out of character for the Flames, usually they play well and lose without ever getting hope for a win

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bennett first 15 games: 71 scoring chances, 26 high danger scoring chances.

Bennett last 15 games: 89 scoring chances, 30 high danger scoring chances.

But your "eyes" are much smarter

There is no accurate way to quantify danger of scoring changes without watching the game and deciding yourself, so using this type of statistic doesn't really support the level of smugness you're going for here.

But anyway, from what I've seen, Bennett has been a good player recently, too. Where I've noticed him more than just offensively is that he's cleaned up the big mistakes.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
You really are obsessed with this eyes thing aren't you?

It's kind of pathetic.

It was hilarious that you made the assumption that the 4th overall pick is also determined by lottery without doing any research whatsoever so it was fitting

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It was hilarious that you made the assumption that the 4th overall pick is also determined by lottery without doing any research whatsoever so it was fitting

I said 4th overall pick because he used Bennett in his post.

I didn't really make an assumption because I didn't care about it.

But if it gets you off then more power to you.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I know this is exactly what everyone wants to hear, but there were actually a tonne of positives coming out of last night's game.

- killed off an early 5 on 3
- PPG!
- launched 40+ shots at the #1 team in the league (some were stat padding)
- 4th line was a force

Smith had a rough night, and he admits as much. Between that and the "find a way (to lose) Flames" cost them the game in the 3rd.

Reactions: Method Man

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I know this is exactly what everyone wants to hear, but there were actually a tonne of positives coming out of last night's game.

- PPG!
- 4th line was a force

Smith had a rough night, and he admits as much. Between that and the "find a way (to lose) Flames" cost them the game in the 3rd.

It was a moral victory for the Flames.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Flames played good; Smith lost us this game plain and simple.

And also smith’s risk taking with the puck has gotten worse. He’s been giving it up too much because he’s too arrogant with his ability to puck handle. Yes it’s an asset but he needs to simplify.

Also I don’t put the Vegas goal last game all on frolik. There were three layers of protection there in our end and they all failed - frolik, Brodie, smith

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
These were the kind of goals that Smith routinely gave up in Phoenix. He has been much better about avoiding them so far this year so I hope this was just a one off game but it was the biggest concern, and reason I didn't want him, when it was announced that we traded for him was his record of giving up just god awful goals.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

- PPG!
- 4th line was a force

Stop not panicking!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Eh, Smith had a horrid game for sure. But the Flames did a terrible job shutting the show down. When we get a lead, we have to be able to shut the other team down, we shouldn't rely on Smith to stand on his head for the final 20 every game.

I am happy Smith owned it though. I think we need a little more of that in the locker room. Guys who aren't stepping up need to realize they are hurting the team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Rare off-game for Smith, but the amount of starts he's getting is teetering on ridiculous now

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Rare off-game for Smith, but the amount of starts he's getting is teetering on ridiculous now

I think it gets frustrating for coaches around this time of the season with so few games. You want to give Rittich a start, but doing so means an extremely low work load for Smith.

Rittich was getting regular work before our 5-day break. I'm not worried with how much Smith is playing. This is what we wanted: a true #1 goalie.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Last night reminded me a lot of the playoff series against the Ducks last year. You simply can't win if the other team can score repeatedly without generating chances.

Reactions: Dack

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Smith sucked, but I rather him suck a game here and there vs. constant sucking like some of the recent Flames goalies.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
There's really nothing for us Flames fans to be worried about last night's game. Yes, it was an incredibly frustrating loss and our 2nd straight 3rd period collapse, but the Flames played as good a game against the best team in the NHL as you could possibly ask for.

We lost because of Smith. Plain and simple. And that's okay (although terrible timing) because he's been our MVP for most of the season.

If the Flames play the way they did last night with Smith playing the way he usually does, there's absolutely nothing to be worried about aside from the PP (which actually looked really good last night)

Reactions: Anglesmith

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's really nothing for us Flames fans to be worried about last night's game. Yes, it was an incredibly frustrating loss and our 2nd straight 3rd period collapse, but the Flames played as good a game against the best team in the NHL as you could possibly ask for.

We lost because of Smith. Plain and simple. And that's okay (although terrible timing) because he's been our MVP for most of the season.

If the Flames play the way they did last night with Smith playing the way he usually does, there's absolutely nothing to be worried about aside from the PP (which actually looked really good last night)

Exactly. If this game came after three wins and not 5 losses, no one would be that upset. It's the timing that sucks, and it's difficult for fans to remain objective about that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Suck a lot---winning streak---suck a little bit less

I would say the winning streak is not the norm.

Without the winning streak, the Flames would be swimming at the bottom with the Oilers.

I think the "overreacting" is justified

but there will always be someone to let us know that's not the real fan. Starting with it's only the preseason, scoring is not a problem we are just practicing the lineups....:skeptic:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Suck a lot---winning streak---suck a little bit less

I would say the winning streak is not the norm.

Without the winning streak, the Flames would be swimming at the bottom with the Oilers.

I think the "overreacting" is justified

but there will always be someone to let us know that's not the real fan. Starting with it's only the preseason, scoring is not a problem we are just practicing the lineups....:skeptic:

Overreacting is never justified. If it was, it wouldn't be called overreacting. I think it is overreacting at the moment. The people who right now are stating that results are what is important, and the way the Flames are playing is irrelevant are the same people who would dismiss a winning streak because they didn't deserve it. That's complete hypocrisy. And I'm not singling you out at all, because there are several posters guilty of this.

There's no reason to toss out certain selective stretches of games to try to be intentionally negative. They are where they are, they're playing a certain brand of hockey right now, the question is what they'll do in the remaining games. The brand of hockey they're playing is pretty good, though, I'd say. Moreover, I think the perfectly valid concerns that fans have with certain aspects of our game are legitimate, but at the same time, it's worth remembering that all of the teams in the race for the final 2 Pacific playoff spots have some concerns. None of the fans of the California teams are comfortable that they'll be in a playoff spot, I'd reckon. If all four fan bases decide right now that their team sucks and can't make it, half of them will be wrong.

Regarding what a real fan is... look, I get that people come here for different reasons. For some people, the only time they want to go on the internet and write stuff is when they're mad. When they're happy, they just enjoy it, but when they're mad, they want somewhere to vent. So I get that that may be the case for a lot of fans. But if the only posts you make are negative, it starts to get taken less and less seriously to the point it turns into a running gag. Being able to be intellectually honest on both sides of the coin- objectively recognizing positives as well as negatives- is a lot more credible than turning yourself into "that guy who hates the Flames."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad