It looks like a former Pens' 1st round pick and NHL player Konstantin Koltsov tragically died in the US at age 42

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He's boyfreind of Belarussian tennis player Arina Sobolenko, he came to America to watch Arina playing in Miami and "tragically died". There is no any specific information about his death at the moment. He worked as an assistant coach for Salavat Yulayev (KHL) in 2023-24 season.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Man I loved him in the dark ages of Pens hockey of my later high school years, Might have been one of the fastest players I ever saw, his hands were ehhhhhh not so great but he was a joy to see buzz around the ice, a great work ethic, solid board play and would take as many hits as he dished out, if he stayed around longer I think he could have craved out a modest career as a speedy, pesky, PK winger. RIP Belarusian Blur.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
This name triggered a vague childhood memory. Pretty sure I loved this guy in NHL 2003-2005 somewhere around there because I liked his name and he had good potential in those games.

But RIP to him.

I always traded for him in NHL 2004 on PS2 because he had elite speed
Beaten to it. I think it was because he had crazy speed

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
RIP....I remember the name for sure, but don't remember much about the guy. Looking at his stats, make sense, I probably watched more PIT games in Crosby's rookie year than any other time....which was his 2nd and last season in the NHL.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011

He reportedly died of a detached blood clot according to Telegraf, a Belarusian publication.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
At least it was medical and somewhat natural, was fearing drugs, suicide or something of that so at least that makes this hurt a little less, I really really liked him on those horrible bankrupt and almost relocated Pens team was just an easy player and guy to like, watching him play hockey is best described as a blend of The Flash and the Tasmanian Devil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

He reportedly died of a detached blood clot according to Telegraf, a Belarusian publication.
Looking at the pictures of him, he was still in amazing shape. It's crazy how death can come out of nowhere like that. My condolences to his family, and rest in peace, Koltsov.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Screenshot_20240319-132050_Chrome.jpg

Koltsov died by suicide, according to local police.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
So somewhere between a blood clot and suicide is where we are at.
Initial report was blood clot, I guess now the police in Miami have called it a suicide-

"In the statement, the MDPD said it responded to an incident where a male jumped off a balcony at the St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort in Miami Beach on Monday"

Weird how it changed so dramatically

• Wow
Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad