Line Combos: It Is Decided - Opening Lineup

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
2015-2016 Pittsburgh Penguins Opening Lineup
as determined by HFBoards democracy

[glow=black]Left Wing[/glow] | [glow=black]Center[/glow] | [glow=black]Right Wing[/glow]
6066.jpg
|
4093.jpg
|
5234.jpg
Perron​
|
Crosby​
|
Hornqvist​
8478928.jpg
|
4686.jpg
|
4976.jpg
Plotnikov​
|
Malkin​
|
Kessel​
2871.jpg
|
6243.jpg
|
7945.jpg
Kunitz​
|
Bonino​
|
Bennett​
9818.jpg
|
0424.jpg
|
2249.jpg
Sundqvist​
|
Cullen​
|
Dupuis​
+Farnham
8884.jpg

[glow=black]Left Defense[/glow] | [glow=black]Right Defense[/glow]
9431.jpg
|
5031.jpg
Maatta​
|
Letang​
9489.jpg
|
6277.jpg
Pouliot​
|
Cole​
7432.jpg
|
6537.jpg
Dumoulin​
|
Lovejoy​
+Scuderi
2790.jpg

[glow=black]Starter[/glow] | [glow=black]Backup[/glow]
3395.jpg
|
5418.jpg
Fleury​
|
Zatkoff​

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My biggest disagreement with a poll result was Pouliot being paired with Cole instead of Dumoulin. [to clarify, I wanted a Dumoulin-Cole pairing]

I couldn't decide between Crosby and Malkin for Kessel, but voted Malkin. I think there is no wrong answer.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think we only got the top pair D right, as compared to what the Pens will be using. Plotnikov probably shouldn't be in the top-6 to start and Pouliot shouldn't be in the top-4 to start.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the idea of Plotnikov is better than his current skill level. I think the kid COULD develop into that spot, but I definitely don't think he deserves that top 6 spot immediately.

Sadly, I would give it to Kunitz. That's very limited viewing, but he actually looked solid. I would, however, reward Plots/Beau/Dupers/etc. with one or two shifts double shifting w/ the top line here and there IF they have a good game. I also LOVE Dupers on L4 playing limited minutes until later in the season where we can open him up on L3. He looked great in that one game.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Great work!

I think it'd be interesting to hold a vote again after the last televised pre-season game, and we can revote based on the impressions we get from the players. But it's a ton of work :D Maybe we could just post our line ups here after.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the idea of Plotnikov is better than his current skill level. I think the kid COULD develop into that spot, but I definitely don't think he deserves that top 6 spot immediately.

Sadly, I would give it to Kunitz. That's very limited viewing, but he actually looked solid. I would, however, reward Plots/Beau/Dupers/etc. with one or two shifts double shifting w/ the top line here and there IF they have a good game. I also LOVE Dupers on L4 playing limited minutes until later in the season where we can open him up on L3. He looked great in that one game.

We are a never ending cycle of want-cry-have-cry. Forever we've want to reincarnate Malone-Malkin-Sykora. That line had all the elements to make it successful. Malkin-Kessel needs a 3rd wheel battler / PF. Leaves Kunitz or Plotnikov. Kunitz sucks. Leaves Plotnikov. Now we aren't sure whether or not it's a good idea.

Play the youth! *Plays youth* The youth sucks! ZOMG!

We need depth! *Obtains depth that allows a player like Perron to be on the 3rd line* ZOMG trade/don't sign him!

This place...:shakehead

To boot, it's the pre-season...the exact time when you can try different things to see what works. This place...:shakehead

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel

This was our first line the moment we traded for Kessel. Kunitz will be given every opportunity to keep that spot, and then he will be given a few extra ones even if he proves he isn't good enough there.

Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist

Plotnikov is going to be tried there with Malkin because he's Russian. Especially since our next best LW in Dupuis has struggled to work well with Malkin.

Dupuis-Bonino-Perron

If Plotnikov struggles, Dupuis will switch with him with Geno. Perron is a victim of the numbers game as our 3rd best RW.

Sheary-Cullen-Bennett

This line will play 5-8 minutes a night and be benched if they don't score at a solid 3rd line rate.

If Kunitz really struggles a lot, Dupuis may bump him from that spot. Kunitz will be demoted to Geno's wing in that case, regardless of how well Plotnikov is playing.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel

This was our first line the moment we traded for Kessel. Kunitz will be given every opportunity to keep that spot, and then he will be given a few extra ones even if he proves he isn't good enough there.

Plotnikov is going to be tried there with Malkin because he's Russian. Especially since our next best LW in Dupuis has struggled to work well with Malkin.

Dupuis-Bonino-Perron

If Plotnikov struggles, Dupuis will switch with him with Geno. Perron is a victim of the numbers game as our 3rd best RW.

Sheary-Collen-Bennett

This line will play 5-8 minutes a night and be benched if they don't score at a solid 3rd line rate.

Exactly

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Perron as a 3rd line RW is just a tragic waste of resources. But with this organization, it's not all that surprising. Keeping Chris Kunitz attached to a generational talent's hip is seemingly going to happen until he retires. And by that, I mean until Sid retires....

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I like the end results but we all know that after some experimentation this probably won't happen. I do disagree with D though, 1st pair is good but you could split'em up. For 2nd & 3rd pairings i'd go with Dumoulin/Cole & Pouliot/Lovejoy. Those last pairs not really being 2nd & 3rd, just give a little more ice time to who plays better on any given night.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel

Dupuis-Bonino-Perron

Sheary-Cullen-Bennett

If Kunitz really struggles a lot, Dupuis may bump him from that spot. Kunitz will be demoted to Geno's wing in that case, regardless of how well Plotnikov is playing.

Flip flop Perron and Dupuis and it's better, but we'll soon find out in a week or more.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just really don't think Pouliot is ready for 20+ mins a game.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Flip flop Perron and Dupuis and it's better, but we'll soon find out in a week or more.

It still sucks. And it has Bennett on the 4th.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel

Dupuis-Bonino-Perron

Sheary-Cullen-Bennett

Woof

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Blows my mind how many people here thought and still think that Kessel with Malkin was the best course of action. Kessel was Crosby's RW before the deal was ever finalized. It is a tremendous fit and frankly Crosby is so long overdue for an elite W. A lot of very ignorant people who claimed falsely that Hornqvist didn't/doesn't work with Malkin have zero credibility as hockey fans. It's one thing to have an opinion and another to fabricate bs reasoning for making an argument (ie. Horns doesn't work with Geno).

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Well, we got a glimpse of Plots on the top line, and we liked it. Having him be a tough, aggressive net-front guy on the top line could be worth his weight in gold.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Blows my mind how many people here thought and still think that Kessel with Malkin was the best course of action. Kessel was Crosby's RW before the deal was ever finalized. It is a tremendous fit and frankly Crosby is so long overdue for an elite W. A lot of very ignorant people who claimed falsely that Hornqvist didn't/doesn't work with Malkin have zero credibility as hockey fans. It's one thing to have an opinion and another to fabricate bs reasoning for making an argument (ie. Horns doesn't work with Geno).

him working with Crosby doesn't mean he wouldn't also be great with Geno. I still want to see Kessel given time with both to get chemistry with both.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I missed the game today. Plots played with Sid and Phil?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That'd be a pretty unique line. I don't have a good enough feel for how Plotnikov plays, but if he can keep up with the pace those guys play at, he may be just the ticket on that line.

Speed Kills

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
To be honest, I like the first three lines. Plotnikov showed a lot of strength along the boards which i feel might open up things for Malkin.

Kunitz did not look good with Crosby and Kessel. Let's hope Perron looks better.

I just want to add more grit to the 4th line. I never have been a fan of Sestito, but I did like his reaction to the late hit on Maatta. I figure Farnham in for Sundqvist and see if someone drops a good skating enforcer.

On the D side. I think DP has struggled and I hope Scuderi is sent down.

We have 4 more pre-season games so maybe Kunitz and DP be more effective on the ice.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012

I think most of them were saying that in order to have Horny with Sid (because Horny was our best winger before Kessel came).
But now that Kessel is Sid's RW, Horny is suddenly a great fit to Geno :laugh:
That's as simple as that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00