ISS top 30 for January

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Wow..Turris is one behind Kane.

Where is Repik ranked? IMO he'll go in mid-first round. He looks very talented.

SniperTom

Sep 13, 2005
I had Kane top 3, he has impressed me alot during the world juniors. Overall, this years draft seems more and more difficult to predict, there are a lot of guys fighting for the no. 1.:dunno: :dunno:

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Wow... Cherepanov has looked good... but all the way to number 1?

It'll be close, but for my money, I think either Kane or Ganger will go number 1.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Wow... Cherepanov has looked good... but all the way to number 1?

It'll be close, but for my money, I think either Kane or Ganger will go number 1.

I can't imagine Gagner going number 1 especially after his awful performance in the WJCs. The WJCs never really hurt the draft status of draft-eligible players that go since they arn't expected to make an impact but Gagner did nothing while Cherepanov, Kane, Voracek and Alzner all impressed with their play.

Last edited:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i can guarantee you gagner will not go number 1. i think he gets picked outside of the top 5 also. if a team wants a forward it will likely be a race between kane, cherepanov, voracek and couture. if they want a defenseman it will be alzner. i think if petrecki was playing at a higher level hed have a chance. gagner benefits way more from playing with pat kane, then pat kane does from playing with gagner. im not trying to knock gagner, because hes a great prospect, but i really think he goes outside of the top 5, and closer to 10th overall. turris, petrecki and vanreimsdyk are wildcards of a sort, becuase they play at lower levels and i think can go anywhere from 3 to 13, depending on whos on the board. this draft is really starting to get interesting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was born and raised in Arizona, so I don't know a whole lot about hockey prospects. It seems to me, though, that people put way, way too much emphasis on a draft eligable player's performance at the WJC's. I mean, it's just one tournament, and for most it's the first time they've participated.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Cherepanov is 5'11 and 165lb as per the IIHF.

The thing that baffles me most about people who follow hockey prospects is the difference the one single little inch between 5'11'' and 6'00'' makes to them. I'm not calling you out specifically, Slitty, but I can't understand this. A kid could be 5'11''/195lbs and people will call him small. Another kid could be 6'0''/180lbs and the same people will say he has good size.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I can't imagine Gagner going number 1 especially after his awful performance in the WJCs. The WJCs never really hurt the draft status of draft-eligible players that go since they arn't expected to make an impact but Gagner did nothing while Cherepanov, Kane, Voracek and Alzner all impressed with their play.

I think he played pretty well in the role he was given. He didn't amaze on the stat-sheets, but worked the power-play well and didn't look out of place defensively. Cherepanov and Kane certainly exceeded expectations, but I'd still put Ganger in that pack of top guys based on his play.

Still a lot of hockey to be played... who knows what could happen if one of these guys have a killer 2nd half of the year.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
IMO Kane is the strongest forward as of right now. If he has a solid second half of the season then I think he might go number 1. Cherepanov is too risky, Gagner hasnt really impressed me, I doubt Alzner will go first either.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
I was born and raised in Arizona, so I don't know a whole lot about hockey prospects. It seems to me, though, that people put way, way too much emphasis on a draft eligable player's performance at the WJC's. I mean, it's just one tournament, and for most it's the first time they've participated.

Trust me, scouts don't make that mistake. It's just on HFBoards, for most people this is the first time they've seen Gagner play and he didn't exactly excel.

I've seen Gagner play live at least 15 times this year and he's never failed to impress me. Just because he couldn't play against the best 19-year-olds in the world doesn't mean he's all of a sudden a 6th rounder, although if he had lit it up it would have almost certainly raised him up to the top 3 at a minimum.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
The thing that baffles me most about people who follow hockey prospects is the difference the one single little inch between 5'11'' and 6'00'' makes to them. I'm not calling you out specifically, Slitty, but I can't understand this. A kid could be 5'11''/195lbs and people will call him small. Another kid could be 6'0''/180lbs and the same people will say he has good size.

The several inch discrepancy in height certainly isn't a big deal, but I hope we can agree that for most players - possessing or lacking those extra 18lbs is rather significant.

Avery4Byng*

Is it just me or does this look like one of the best years for the WHL in a while.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London

Actually the best way to determine prospects is the WJC.

When you pit those players who are in the same age group, some of them fall because the competition is at their level and they cannot produce. Other than taking a kid that's got standout numbers and "skills" but it's only because the competition is lacking.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
colton gillies is still way to high. and i agree with what orangeandblack said. this draft is starting to get very interesting.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
Cherepanov is 5'11 and 165lb as per the IIHF.

According to Avangard Omsk website, he is 5'11 and 171 pounds.

In this list, there are a couple of things that raise thoughts.

-Colton Gillies incredibly high on the list.

-James Van Riemsdyk third. Recently on these boards, his hockey sense has been questioned by some very credible writers. But they work for McKeen's, so their rankings will likely have JVR lower.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Gillies at that position is fine with me. I've never seen a forward who has such a distinction between his actual level of ability plus impact on a game and his stats though.

personally i dont think he will turn out to much. third liner at best. imo i would rank him somewhere around 25-30.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This draft just seems to have gotten deeper. Although for someone to shoot up the chart like that? Please...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
This draft just seems to have gotten deeper. Although for someone to shoot up the chart like that? Please...

i agree. he may be one of the favorites for the first overall pick, but to go from like 15-20 (dont remember hes ranking from last month) all the way to #1 on one tournament is a little funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad