ISS top 30 for January

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
At the same time he went from 3rd line at U-18 to 1st line at U-20 and all stars team and best forward awards at U-20 and 6th in scoring for his RSL team. Well, playing like crap in final game could and will hurt his chances but considering his age it's not so bad.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
At the same time he went from 3rd line at U-18 to 1st line at U-20 and all stars team and best forward awards at U-20 and 6th in scoring for his RSL team. Well, playing like crap in final game could and will hurt his chances but considering his age it's not so bad.

true, but he's jump was just a bit to big. if he was like #3-4 it would have been ok. imo

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
i agree. he may be one of the favorites for the first overall pick, but to go from like 15-20 (dont remember hes ranking from last month) all the way to #1 on one tournament is a little funny.

Cherepanov had been higher than #22 in a lot of other peoples opinions - this massive jump could be part of a correction on the I.S.S.'s part.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Is there expected to be any issues with getting Cherepanov to report given the current nonexistence of the NHL-Russia transfer agreement? That could cause him to slide if teams expect problems.

IMO Kane is the strongest forward as of right now. If he has a solid second half of the season then I think he might go number 1. Cherepanov is too risky, Gagner hasnt really impressed me, I doubt Alzner will go first either.

At ISS, we won't dispute that the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia makes Cherepanov a wildcard.

However, just for the sake of clarity, when we do our rankings, we are evaluating based on talent alone. We are not predicting how the draft will unfold, we are merely ranking talent. We will do a mock draft in our draft preview, though, that will consider such factors.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Wow... Cherepanov has looked good... but all the way to number 1?

It'll be close, but for my money, I think either Kane or Ganger will go number 1.

This draft just seems to have gotten deeper. Although for someone to shoot up the chart like that? Please...

i agree. he may be one of the favorites for the first overall pick, but to go from like 15-20 (dont remember hes ranking from last month) all the way to #1 on one tournament is a little funny.

Well, last month, people were saying we had him too low. Now, they're saying we have him too high. Or is it just that you're suprised that we moved him up so much in one month?

He was named the top forward at the world junior tournament as a 17-year-old playing against mostly 18 and 19 year olds.

We believe that 17-year-olds shouldn't really drop based on their performance at this tournament, but when a kid stands out like Cherepanov did, it means he'll rise.

His rapid ascent in one month is a sign of two things
1) His stellar play at world junior in Sweden.
2) This year's draft class does not have a clearcut No. 1 pick. There is a top echelon. Cherepanov has entered it in our opinion and, based on his consistently good performance against older players in the Russian Super League, this makes him the frontrunner.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The thing that baffles me most about people who follow hockey prospects is the difference the one single little inch between 5'11'' and 6'00'' makes to them. I'm not calling you out specifically, Slitty, but I can't understand this. A kid could be 5'11''/195lbs and people will call him small. Another kid could be 6'0''/180lbs and the same people will say he has good size.

Its not the inch...its the 20 lbs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Actually the best way to determine prospects is the WJC.

When you pit those players who are in the same age group, some of them fall because the competition is at their level and they cannot produce. Other than taking a kid that's got standout numbers and "skills" but it's only because the competition is lacking.

This is true to a degree. However, the sample size is just way too small for my liking.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Weak draft fort the american hockey program ! :amazed:

How do you figure?

Three of the top eight on the updated list are Americans, exactly the same number of Canadians in the top eight. Granted, there's a lot more Canadians depth this year, but seven Americans in the first round still isn't too bad. Last year there were nine U.S. players in the first round, including four of the top eight.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
I question a move of 22 places based upon one 6 game tournament. That's the folly of the WJC's if you ask me. Too much stock is put in this tournament.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Actually the best way to determine prospects is the WJC.

When you pit those players who are in the same age group, some of them fall because the competition is at their level and they cannot produce. Other than taking a kid that's got standout numbers and "skills" but it's only because the competition is lacking.

So why bother scouting the rest of the games??? Just use the World Juniors.

5 game Tournies...anything can happen...basing a players draft position solely on that is ludicris.

Im not talking about Cherpanov specificly...but to say Player X is better than Player Y based on the U20's is just dumb.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I question a move of 22 places based upon one 6 game tournament. That's the folly of the WJC's if you ask me. Too much stock is put in this tournament.
I don't understand why he was so low on the list to begin with. I heard that some scouts were waiting until they saw him play on the international stage before making any serious judgements, a player tearing it up in the RSL like he was at least should have been in the top-10 before WJC, if not top-5.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i agree that there isnt much difference in 2 inches such as 5'9 and 5'11 and 5'10 and 6 foot. but there is definitely a difference between 5'9 and 6'1 and 5'10 and 6'2. if you get what im saying.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I agree that if 17 years old plays bad at WJC there is nothing wrong and it shouldn't hurt rankings but if 17 years old looks good among 19 years old at highest level for him there is big chance that in 2 years he will look good against older and stronger competition. And vice versa. If 19 years old dominating, it's ok, but if he looks bad, there is something wrong with him.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
How do you figure?

Three of the top eight on the updated list are Americans, exactly the same number of Canadians in the top eight. Granted, there's a lot more Canadians depth this year, but seven Americans in the first round still isn't too bad. Last year there were nine U.S. players in the first round, including four of the top eight.

I think he was joking. :sarcasm:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

This is exactly what happened last year w/ EJ. With an outstanding tournament he was able to separate himself from Taves, Kessel and Backstrom.

Most fans and more then a few scouts had very limited viewing of Cherepanov. This was a chance to really watch a player play over 6-9 games (including pre-tourny). It is also against tallent their own age and considered the tops in the world (granted there are players left off, but you get my point).

I am really not stunned at all that he jumped. What really blows my mind is that Kane really didn't move.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I'm not sure I understand your point here. Are you saying that we have his height and weight wrong, or that the IIHF does. Do you know for sure what his height and weight is?

My point is that there are three different "current" combinations of heights and weights circulating for this kid... and I wouldn't mind knowing how much he actually weighs. :)

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
My point is that there are three different "current" combinations of heights and weights circulating for this kid... and I wouldn't mind knowing how much he actually weighs. :)

Well, I haven't met the kid, but I can tell you this. Our RinkNet database lists him as 6-0, 183 and NHL Central Scouting has him at 6-0, 183. From what I know, NHL Central Scouting has people measure and weigh players at the start of the season. I know for sure they do this with all CHL players. I can't say for sure they do it with all Russian players. That's the best I can do for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad