Post-Game Talk: Isles

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Canes lost game 3 with Sorokin in net last year. Hopefully, they can avoid a repeat.
True but he also started the first 2 games and had been playing incredibly well all season -- 3rd in the league with 38.8 GSAE. This year he's 43rd with 1.4 GSAE. Of course just like Bobrovsky last year he's a goalie fully capable of playing at an outrageously elite level and stealing games left and right. But seems less likely to reach that level tonight/this year than last year.

I'm pretty sure the Canes have never won a Game 3 while up 2-0 with RBA as coach.
not on the road, no, but we swept the isles 5 years ago.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'm pretty sure the Canes have never won a Game 3 while up 2-0 with RBA as coach.

Sorokins playoff stats vs Canes...

1000005092.png

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
True but he also started the first 2 games and had been playing incredibly well all season -- 3rd in the league with 38.8 GSAE. This year he's 43rd with 1.4 GSAE. Of course just like Bobrovsky last year he's a goalie fully capable of playing at an outrageously elite level and stealing games left and right. But seems less likely to reach that level tonight/this year than last year.

not on the road, no, but we swept the isles 5 years ago.

So they did win Game 3 on the road then.

Well, all I'm trying to point out is Sorokin's numbers are better in the playoffs vs Canes, and we have last years game 3 results to at least suggest we don't kick our cats if the Canes struggle tonight.

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

Well, all I'm trying to point out is Sorokin's numbers are better in the playoffs vs Canes, and we have last years game 3 results to at least suggest we don't kick our cats if the Canes struggle tonight.

Come on now, how long you been here? We are HF26 that means three constants. 1. Threads devolve to food talk
2. Someone will challenge someone to a Bo's parking g lot.
3. We will always kick our cats if the Canes don't win 40-0

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Well, they struggled the first two games. Dunno why today would be any different

Reactions: hockeynjune

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Canes have never had a team THIS good either. While I don't think they'll sweep, this is a very lopsided matchup. It has to be tough on the CAR goalies to stay focused when you only get 1-2 key (high danger) NYI events per period against.

CAR just need to stay clean and away from the goon stuff, and let the 4th line answer a bell if NYI insist on ringing it.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I'd prefer they keep a goalie rotation up.

Zero need to put excess wear on Freddy in the 1st round as this shouldn't be a series where his slightly better SV% should matter. I'd rather have 2 goalies fresh and ready for every game because it's a very long road to the SCF. Freddy has been so good because he's been rested and not worn down IMO. Last thing they need to have him get injured and then rely on Koch.

Canes will need Freddy fresh and rested against NYR, BOS, etc.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

I'm not expecting an easy win or any win for that matter. I think we've got a good shot but fully expect the Isles to give us their all. Just saying that last year doesn't really have much bearing on this year. Different Canes team, different Isles team and different Sorokin (from what we've seen so far).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'd prefer they keep a goalie rotation up.

Zero need to put excess wear on Freddy in the 1st round as this shouldn't be a series where his slightly better SV% should matter. I'd rather have 2 goalies fresh and ready for every game because it's a very long road to the SCF. Freddy has been so good because he's been rested and not worn down IMO. Last thing they need to have him get injured and then rely on Koch.

Canes will need Freddy fresh and rested against NYR, BOS, etc.
I'm torn, on the one hand it's easy to get under Kooch's skin...on the other, Kooch plays some of his best hockey when he's a bit pissed off (i.e. pokecheck on Tkachuk PS). Kooch would NOT have put up with that 2-3 glove poke goal the other night. I fully expect the Isles to come out in desperation goon mode tonight...they're at home (as if they didn't get away with enough from favorable officiating already), down 2-0, and the only way they can really compete with a team is to clutch, grab, wrap-up, and knock-down their opponents so they can't establish anything. Kooch is a good guy to have on your side, but I could also see him blowing a gasket and being taken off his game...but it would be good to let Freddie get some rest and save it for the tougher matchups coming up (this is of course assuming we win this round)

I will say it was good to see Clusterf*** look confused for a sec when Kokonut blasted him, and I'm sure Martin is still suffering PTSD from getting rag-dolled but Noesen after trying to start some shit. We're going to have to match their physicality, but need to be smart about it *side-eyes Svech*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad