Islanders Point Blank: Isles will speak to Tavares next summer about extension

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hand him a blank check, let him decide how many years he wants, and get on your knees and pray. That's what Snow needs to do.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I just hope this deal gets done sometime in July of next year. I can't imagine the Islanders giving any meaningful pushback on the AAV and I can't imagine JT trying to milk it for every last penny. JT will decide how much he wants and as long as its in line with other elite players, the Islanders will pay it. If he wants $11m/yr, you have to pay it. More likely he takes something slightly less than the highest salary in the league. Since the new CBA, I'm not sure we have had a $10m AAV deal. That $9.1m figure could definitely be the landing spot. Crosby got $8.4m AAV in his deal (albeit 4 years ago).

Of course, JT could decide that he doesn't want to sign an extension that early and then we have a problem.

Kopitar makes $10M/year.
Kane and Toews each make $10.5M/year.

Those are the only ones, but I believe Tavares has the same agent as Kopitar.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kopitar makes $10M/year.
Kane and Toews each make $10.5M/year.

Those are the only ones, but I believe Tavares has the same agent as Kopitar.

Pretty sure he's got the same agent as Crosby (Pat Brisson). Not sure if Brisson is also Kopitar's agent.

I just hope this deal gets done sometime in July of next year. I can't imagine the Islanders giving any meaningful pushback on the AAV and I can't imagine JT trying to milk it for every last penny. JT will decide how much he wants and as long as its in line with other elite players, the Islanders will pay it. If he wants $11m/yr, you have to pay it. More likely he takes something slightly less than the highest salary in the league. Since the new CBA, I'm not sure we have had a $10m AAV deal. That $9.1m figure could definitely be the landing spot. Crosby got $8.4m AAV in his deal (albeit 4 years ago).

Of course, JT could decide that he doesn't want to sign an extension that early and then we have a problem.

$8.7 million. His obsession with that number knows no bounds.

-----

I'm not sure why there's even any concern about Tavares not re-signing. Unless there's some massive blowup between Tavares and Snow/the owners from now until his contract expires, I just didn't see him leaving as even a possibility.

Star players want to make a mark on their franchise. I just never really bought the idea Snow had to bring in more talent or Tavares would walk. It just goes against what these guys are.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Pretty sure he's got the same agent as Crosby (Pat Brisson). Not sure if Brisson is also Kopitar's agent.

$8.7 million. His obsession with that number knows no bounds.

-----

I'm not sure why there's even any concern about Tavares not re-signing. Unless there's some massive blowup between Tavares and Snow/the owners from now until his contract expires, I just didn't see him leaving as even a possibility.

Star players want to make a mark on their franchise. I just never really bought the idea Snow had to bring in more talent or Tavares would walk. It just goes against what these guys are.

Thank you very much. It's some bizarre insecurity of Isles fans. If a franchise was treading water or just a disaster (CBJ comes to mind, but they don't have a franchise player), then it could be a possibility, but the team is playoff contending 3/4 years, B2B 100 point seasons, payroll/cap is top 10/15 and a LONG way from submarining the cap floor. Fans are just in fear that the franchise is moving on from all this friends (Streit, Moulson, KO, and FN) that he will no longer be able to cope...:popcorn:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think that's a very fair deal. Gonna go on a limb and say Tavares either gets that or $9M. Don't think he gets to $10M.

Given that

1) we been underpaying Tavares for the past few years

2) Taxes in Texas are much better then in NY

3) Kopitar makes 10M

I am guessing Tavares gets 10M

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think that's a very fair deal. Gonna go on a limb and say Tavares either gets that or $9M. Don't think he gets to $10M.

I think Tavares is gonna go off this year. You could see last year in the 2nd half how good he was becoming. I'm relatively sure he was much sicker than we were led to believe in October and it affected him into December, may have had mono or something and it really affected him for a long time. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a 40-55-95 season

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I think Tavares is gonna go off this year. You could see last year in the 2nd half how good he was becoming. I'm relatively sure he was much sicker than we were led to believe in October and it affected him into December, may have had mono or something and it really affected him for a long time. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see a 40-55-95 season

95pts? Not if they play the same style they did this year. They'd need to open it up like 2 years ago. That's banking a lot on PAP and Ladd and a strong PP.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
95pts? Not if they play the same style they did this year. They'd need to open it up like 2 years ago. That's banking a lot on PAP and Ladd and a strong PP.

I don't see PAP sticking there. Wouldn't be surprised to see JHS get an early look if he gets off to a hot start in Bridge while PA struggles.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Absolutely makes complete sense now that he has two bona fide first line wingers.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I'm not sure the style of play was the reason their scoring was down last year. As I said in the initial post I think Tavares was sick for awhile early on, numerous guys had a sophomore slump, and the league was very up and ready for the Isles last year. That whole surprise factor has worn off and I think they can become more offensive this year.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It would be nice if he did a Crosby and went for $9.1M to honor his number.

Bingo. Love that. JT is as quiet/professional a superstar as you will see. He wants to win BAD and I think that includes getting paid like a superstar, but not taking every last dollar so there's money left in the cap to surround him with the necessary talent to win.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Bingo. Love that. JT is as quiet/professional a superstar as you will see. He wants to win BAD and I think that includes getting paid like a superstar, but not taking every last dollar so there's money left in the cap to surround him with the necessary talent to win.

I agree that he's not going to ask for over 10+ per but he's going to want to make up for a bit of the discount he took ; so your 9.1 per seems about right.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
It would be nice if he did a Crosby and went for $9.1M to honor his number.

8 years $72.8 million has been my guess for a while now.

More than Stamkos (who he outperformed last season) and a little under Benn and Kopitar (who outperformed him last season).

For real though, anything under 10 would be a steal.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I agree that he's not going to ask for over 10+ per but he's going to want to make up for a bit of the discount he took ; so your 9.1 per seems about right.

This is more fan speak than in reality. He'll get paid based on the market for elite/franchise players.

He's on a 'discount' bc that's what he wanted and obviously the market skyrocketed during that time. The cap has had significant changes in how teams value ELC > 1st post ELC deals for high quality players. That was not the case when he signed his deal. JT probably doesn't give a hoot bc he'll definitely be getting a big bump coming up. It's not like a guy getting $3M and the market now says he's $4.5. JT already knows he's gonna be top 10 in the league.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
A few lottery picks in the years following after AND lots of hate from the fanbase.

Value wise, I think their is a consensus a proven franchise center is the best and most coveted piece. I wouldn't entertain trading him though.

But on the flip side if we draft top 5 we could get another Ryan Strome, Griffin Reinhart, Nino Niederreiter, or Josh Bailey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad