Islanders Point Blank: Isles will speak to Tavares next summer about extension

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/isles-will-speak-to-tavares-next-summer-about-extension/188667530

Islanders GM Garth Snow knows how close Steven Stamkos got to becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer, and he's intent on making sure that doesn't happen with John Tavares.

Snow was asked on Thursday about Tavares' contract status and his strategy to retain their captain beyond the end of his contract in 2018, and Garth made it clear it's something he'll start working on as soon as the CBA permits next summer.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I gave them their clickbait - I thought this was something 'new' but the title is pretty misleading based on Snow's comments. But whatever. That site (and Erni) have very little new content to deliver ever, just 'blogging away' for clicks.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
In other news, the sun rose in the East today.

The Islanders are going to attempt to re-sign JT as early as possible? Ya don't say? Even Snow realized that his typical "No comment" would look ridiculous here.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He shall be re-signed. Lord Tavares is a loyal beast. He's good and true. The most honorable man in the Islanders kingdom. I swear it by the old Gods and the new.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I know someone said 8 years, 9.1 mil per year, but my guess is that it ends up being 8 years, 91 mil total (if we're going with the symbolic contract), or something closer to that. Remember, Stamkos sorta took a discount but not really, due to state taxes. The proper comparison is Kane/Toews, who both got 10.5 per, and I think Johnny cashes in after taking a very big discount in his second contract.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I know someone said 8 years, 9.1 mil per year, but my guess is that it ends up being 8 years, 91 mil total (if we're going with the symbolic contract), or something closer to that. Remember, Stamkos sorta took a discount but not really, due to state taxes. The proper comparison is Kane/Toews, who both got 10.5 per, and I think Johnny cashes in after taking a very big discount in his second contract.

He didn't really take that big of a discount on his last contract, it just ended up being steal. Did you want to sign him for $8M/year when he just came off his second season and had 67 points? I know at the time we knew he could be better, but I don't see it as a discount for that stage of his career.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I still would have no problem with that. $11.375M? Sure. Some things are just as important to winning championships, IMO, and one of those things is having a superstar spend his entire career(or the vast majority of it) playing for your team. Especially a class-act like Tavares.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He didn't really take that big of a discount on his last contract, it just ended up being steal. Did you want to sign him for $8M/year when he just came off his second season and had 67 points? I know at the time we knew he could be better, but I don't see it as a discount for that stage of his career.

I would have expected closer to Stamkos extention a year earlier (7.5 mil per year). That contract was a steal from the moment he signed it.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I seriously don't forsee a time when we're ever complaining about how much JT is making. Just pay him what he wants. He deserves it for what he means to this franchise.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I seriously don't forsee a time when we're ever complaining about how much JT is making. Just pay him what he wants. He deserves it for what he means to this franchise.

The good news is that we have so many contracts coming off the books that paying him shouldn't be an issue.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
tumblr_mhdalzgBgP1qh01r8o1_500.gif

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
He writes his own contract. Literally hand him the check and see what he comes up with, and sign it.

He leaves and a part of my heart will be ripped out forever. As will most of ours.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
This guy is the savior of this franchise...took us from the laughing stock to legit team...you give him whatever he wants and it will be worth every penny. Tavares is an islander for life I hope.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He shall be re-signed. Lord Tavares is a loyal beast. He's good and true. The most honorable man in the Islanders kingdom. I swear it by the old Gods and the new.

I agree with this, I have no doubt in my mind JT will be an Islander for life. First day that he is eligible to redo his contract, it'll get done.

scott99

May 13, 2005
JT does not seem like the type who will demand the maximum, knowing it will leave less $ for the rest of the roster.

I agree with this as well, I would not be shocked by under 10 mill a year. I bet he signs for 9 or 9.5, leaving the Isles with extra cap space. The first year his new cap figure hits, Kulemin and Grabovski will come of the books.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I agree with this, I have no doubt in my mind JT will be an Islander for life. First day that he is eligible to redo his contract, it'll get done.

i still cant believe how lucky we got that we landed this kid. imagine we got screwed in the draft lottery?

scott99

May 13, 2005
i still cant believe how lucky we got that we landed this kid. imagine we got screwed in the draft lottery?

The 2 best days in Islander history besides the Cup wins, the day we didn't LOSE the lottery (we had the worst record) and the day Garth drafted Tavares. I was a huge Tavares fan before we drafted him, had some Tavares cards a year before we even drafted him. My favorite Islanders of all time are Gillies, Bossy, Potvin, Trottier and Tavares. Was a huge Lafontaine fan as well.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I just hope this deal gets done sometime in July of next year. I can't imagine the Islanders giving any meaningful pushback on the AAV and I can't imagine JT trying to milk it for every last penny. JT will decide how much he wants and as long as its in line with other elite players, the Islanders will pay it. If he wants $11m/yr, you have to pay it. More likely he takes something slightly less than the highest salary in the league. Since the new CBA, I'm not sure we have had a $10m AAV deal. That $9.1m figure could definitely be the landing spot. Crosby got $8.4m AAV in his deal (albeit 4 years ago).

Of course, JT could decide that he doesn't want to sign an extension that early and then we have a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad