Islanders Point Blank: Isles to start working on Okposo contract?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nope. Eberle is younger than Kyle and scores at a much higher clip without a center as good as Tavares.

Eberle's career 0.80 PPG
Okposo 0.68 PPG

Big difference. Eberle is a legit 1st line RW. I firmly believe that Okposo is a 2nd line RW.

Eberle is also very soft.

Plenty of the "grass is greener " posts in this thread.

Also, RNH has developed very well as a #1 center, Let's stop acting as if Eberle has no talent on his line.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Eberle is also very soft.

Plenty of the "grass is greener " posts in this thread.

Also, RNH has developed very well as a #1 center, Let's stop acting as if Eberle has no talent on his line.

RNH has never been a PPG center in his career, big difference from playing with someone such as Toews, Giroux, or Tavares

Eberle is the biggest play making threat on EDM as of right now.

Eberle soft? I agree with that. But Okposo has been soft too, he only shows a fore-checking game in the playoffs.

Okposo is an inconsistent scoring RW, his point production shows up in bunches then he tends to disappear for a couple of games. The most consistent we have ever seen him was arguably last year playing with Vanek and Tavares, 2 elite players. Vanek no longer elite imo, but still good.

If Okposo could produce like that every year AND manage to stay healthy on the course of 75+ games and produce close to a point a game, he could be considered a top 10 if not top 5 RW. Until he can do that 2nd line RW.

He's a very similar player to Oshie imo... Nothing wrong with that, just being honest.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
RNH has never been a PPG center in his career, big difference from playing with someone such as Toews, Giroux, or Tavares

Eberle soft? I agree with that. But Okposo has been soft too, he only shows a fore-checking game in the playoffs.

Okposo is an inconsistent scoring RW, his point production shows up in bunches then he tends to disappear for a couple of games. The most consistent we have ever seen him was arguably last year playing with Vanek and Tavares, 2 elite players. Vanek no longer elite imo, but still good.

If Okposo could produce like that every year AND manage to stay healthy on the course of 75+ games and produce close to a point a game, he could be considered a top 10 if not top 5 RW. Until he can do that 2nd line RW.

He's a very similar player to Oshie imo... Nothing wrong with that, just being honest.

Were disagreeing a lot today firstblood, nothing wrong with that though, makes for good hockey talk.

In my opinion Okposo has been a first line winger the past 2 seasons. Close to a ppg player, sure he has been inconsistent at times, but he also has had moments of brilliance. When he is healthy he is a very good first line player, one that can at times carry an offense. Last season he was as good as Tavares for most of the year.

He also shows up in the playoffs, which is very important.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Were disagreeing a lot today firstblood, nothing wrong with that though, makes for good hockey talk.

In my opinion Okposo has been a first line winger the past 2 seasons. Close to a ppg player, sure he has been inconsistent at times, but he also has had moments of brilliance. When he is healthy he is a very good first line player, one that can at times carry an offense. Last season he was as good as Tavares for most of the year.

He also shows up in the playoffs, which is very important.

I agree with all of this, however I am not sold he is a '1st line right winger'

However, I do think he is a top 6 right winger.

I want Okposo resigned, but I do not want to give him an elite players contract / salary because he is not an elite player.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I was just trying to be a smart ass. Bossy is like #2 on that list btw :)

Anyway if I had to rank the top 10 RW's right now that I would take over Okposo:

1) Patrick Kane
2) Corey Perry
3) Phil Kessel
4) Bobby Ryan
5) Vlad Tarasenko
6) Blake Wheeler
7) Marion Hossa
8) Jordan Eberle
9) Jakub Voracek
10) TJ Oshie

Kyle can be anywhere from 11 - 15 IMO... I do not think he is a top 10 RW in the NHL, however he is in the 11- 15 range.

The 11th-15th RW in the league is still a 1st liner.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Damn, the amount of negativity over Okposo in this thread is more than it should be. Every team in the league would kill to have him. We would definitely be a worse team without him, and it would be a devastating blow to the team if he were to be traded or leave via FA. He's done nothing but show he should stay.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I agree with all of this, however I am not sold he is a '1st line right winger'

However, I do think he is a top 6 right winger.

I want Okposo resigned, but I do not want to give him an elite players contract / salary because he is not an elite player.

So what kind of contract do you expect to see him sign? and at what amount would you rather just trade him?

I think he will be in the area of 6 million a year for 5-7 years and a limited no trade clause.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
So what kind of contract do you expect to see him sign? and at what amount would you rather just trade him?

I think he will be in the area of 6 million a year for 5-7 years and a limited no trade clause.

If he wants an excess of 6.5M I would trade him. If the contract is anywhere between 5.75M - 6.5M that is fine but he is not a player I would overpay.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
He's going to look to make as much as he can. He's 27. The perfect age to be a UFA. This will likey be the biggest contact average wise that he will ever see.

I think we will see 6x6 or somthjng around that.

I like KO a lot but a 6m dollar man he is not. I would go maybe 4.5 to m tops

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Go to the Oilers board and quite a few of their posters consider RNH to be their best player the last few yrs , Better then Hall and Eberke.

You dismiss Okposo 's board work, his willingness to fight for pucks along the boards and behind the net.

If Eberle were not so soft,I'd be in favor of Snow making a run at him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I like KO a lot but a 6m dollar man he is not. I would go maybe 4.5 to m tops

Yes. Okposo who will make $4.5m next season, will give up ufa yrs to sign for $4.5m on his extension:sarcasm:

Jesus. Can this thread get any sillier?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Damn, the amount of negativity over Okposo in this thread is more than it should be. Every team in the league would kill to have him. We would definitely be a worse team without him, and it would be a devastating blow to the team if he were to be traded or leave via FA. He's done nothing but show he should stay.

One poster says he would rather have Perry at $9m, then Okposo at $6m. I am waiting for the link from someone credible that Perry is expected to be shopped. Or a similar upgrade.

It's easy enough to say get an upgrade instead of signing Okposo . Until you realize the isles do not want to package the top young talent such an upgrade would cost.

Heck,I'd like to upgrade from Hamonic to Drew Doughty. Unfortunately, that is a fantasy. Much like the don't sign Okposo , get Perry instead idea.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am having a very hard time beiieving Lucic gets that much.

Fluto who covers the Bruins reported agents are saying, they think Lucic could get that much on the ufa market. Bruin fans don't want to give him more then $7m.

A bruin fan insists Lucic has not asked for that but, those same Bruin fans felt Boychuk was overpaid getting $6m + and Leddy overpaid getting $5m+..

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No GM in there rightful mind would give Lucic 8.5M coming off the season he just had.

He is a ufa in 2016 and I am going to guess that agents probably have a better read on what GMs/owners will spend , then message board fans,

Fluto's report was posted on the Bruins board and discussed by their fans.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
He is a ufa in 2016 and I am going to guess that agents probably have a better read on what GMs/owners will spend , then message board fans,

Fluto's report was posted on the Bruins board and discussed by their fans.

I agree with you but that number could of been thrown around by his agent, but that does not mean he is going to get it

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I agree with you but that number could of been thrown around by his agent, but that does not mean he is going to get it

Fluto did not say that $8.5m number came from Lucic's agent.

He said it came from agents..

I think Flu to would have pointed out if it came from Lucic's agent.
Fluto's report is on the Bruins board.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No GM in there rightful mind would give Lucic 8.5M coming off the season he just had.

No one IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would give out the Yashin & DiPietro deals, but alas...They happened. All it takes is one buffoon to hand out an insane contract and unfortunately we have one running our favorite team.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
No one IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would give out the Yashin & DiPietro deals, but alas...They happened. All it takes is one buffoon to hand out an insane contract and unfortunately we have one running our favorite team.

I hope you are referring to Wang... Because Garth has been pretty cautious in handing out deals. The only deal I am not really a fan of is Grabovski's right now because he got injured (cant blame Garth on that)

Garth has done fine lately imo with the contracts he has handed out, 6M for Boychuk who is a top 4 d man 5.5M for Leddy who has been a top 4. He has done fine, just unfortunate Grabovski had gotten hurt. Anyway when you go after UFA's you kind of have to overpay a little bit since you are competing against 29 other teams.

Resigning Okposo should be a good test... Very curious to see what happens

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
One poster says he would rather have Perry at $9m, then Okposo at $6m. I am waiting for the link from someone credible that Perry is expected to be shopped. Or a similar upgrade.

It's easy enough to say get an upgrade instead of signing Okposo . Until you realize the isles do not want to package the top young talent such an upgrade would cost.

Heck,I'd like to upgrade from Hamonic to Drew Doughty. Unfortunately, that is a fantasy. Much like the don't sign Okposo , get Perry instead idea.

Exactly. Do you realize how hard it would be to replace him? But it's okay to let him go because he can be inconsistent sometimes.

Consistency is a gift that very few NHL players have. Heck, even Stamkos goes through major droughts.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I did not mean to turn this into the Islanders are a better team without Okposo thread :( and I apologize if some of my posts sound like that.

Of course I want Okposo resigned... Probably more than any single one of you. The issue is how much we will pay him

Top 6 RW do not grow on trees and I want him resigned around 5.8M - 6.5M

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I guess most fans haven't been paying attention to the contracts being handed out around the league.

He's getting more than 5 million and he could easily be in the 6.5 million range. Contracts are going up, not down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad