Islanders Point Blank: Isles to start working on Okposo contract?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Would be nice to lock him up at a decent number.

I don't think we will ever see 80+ pts from Kyle but if he can give us 60-70 and play as hard as he does while being one of the teams leaders he will be worth a long term contract.

I just hope he doesn't get paid like a 30+ goal scorer because he's not that. Doesn't mean he can't pot 30 because he definatley has he talent. He just misses a lot of games. I don't think its wrong to say that health is always a concern with Kyle.
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/isles-to-start-work-on-locking-up-kyle-okposo/

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would be nice to lock him up at a decent number.

I don't think we will ever see 80+ pts from Kyle but if he can give us 60-70 and play as hard as he does while being one of the teams leaders he will be worth a long term contract.

I just hope he doesn't get paid like a 30+ goal scorer because he's not that. Doesn't mean he can't pot 30 because he definatley has he talent. He just misses a lot of games. I don't think its wrong to say that health is always a concern with Kyle.
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/isles-to-start-work-on-locking-up-kyle-okposo/

He's coming off a team friendly 5 yr/$14.8m contract.

Imo he's not taking a short term contract or another team friendly contract.
Did Boychuk or Leddy ,accept short term or team friendly contracts?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's coming off a team friendly 5 yr/$14.8m contract.

Imo he's not taking a short term contract or another team friendly contract.
Did Boychuk or Leddy ,accept short term or team friendly contracts?

He's going to look to make as much as he can. He's 27. The perfect age to be a UFA. This will likey be the biggest contact average wise that he will ever see.

I think we will see 6x6 or somthjng around that.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
He's going to look to make as much as he can. He's 27. The perfect age to be a UFA. This will likey be the biggest contact average wise that he will ever see.

You're probably right, but damn, that really sets the bar high for JT. He's going to be in Kane/Toews territory.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Even that 6x6 is a little higher then I hope to see.

I think the detached retina/threat of losing his career will play a role in Okposo's thinking. Sport careers are short. He's got a young family.

It would be very surprising, if he took a short term or team friendly deal.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
~$6-6.5 million is fair. Honestly I wouldn't even mind bumping it up to 7...he's crucial to the core, and we need him a lot more than he needs us.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Also, I can't imagine Okposo hitting the open market. Like, obviously it could happen, but it would be the strangest thing to me. He's an Islander through and through.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
I don't see okposo getting less than $6 million per year. He probably gets around $6.5 IMO.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I think Snow will sign him to a reasonable cap hit.
Okposo is not a first line wing. If Strome remains on RW he has much more offensive upside as he strengthens and grows into his so-called "man body".
As a 2nd line RW KO would be in the $5.5MM range as far as value. If he did more things, such as hit, you could overlook all the missed nets and perimeter play. I think Snow will wind up giving longer term at lower cap hit to compromise with him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Signing KO long term scares me a bit. On one hand, he's produced enough to warrant getting a nice long term deal that if he doesn't get here, he'll certainly get somewhere else. There's no chance of signing him to a team friendly/shorter contract. I'm sure he's keen on staying here but the money has to be right.

OTOH, he's been injured and has shown to be inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. I'm not 100% sure what the real KO looks like. Is he a ppg player like the guy in the 2013 playoffs or is he the floater we saw at the end of the season? I'd like to think he's the former, but it still makes me nervous.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm ok with giving him a $5-6m AAV for 5-7 years, but I'll always have a twinge of doubt as to what we're getting. But, I don't think we can pass on a player of his caliber so they need to sign him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're probably right, but damn, that really sets the bar high for JT. He's going to be in Kane/Toews territory.

JT set his bar high with his performance. He is one of four players we can't afford to lose (2, 3, 41, 91). The Isles will have money for him when the time comes.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Signing KO long term scares me a bit. On one hand, he's produced enough to warrant getting a nice long term deal that if he doesn't get here, he'll certainly get somewhere else. There's no chance of signing him to a team friendly/shorter contract. I'm sure he's keen on staying here but the money has to be right.

OTOH, he's been injured and has shown to be inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. I'm not 100% sure what the real KO looks like. Is he a ppg player like the guy in the 2013 playoffs or is he the floater we saw at the end of the season? I'd like to think he's the former, but it still makes me nervous.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm ok with giving him a $5-6m AAV for 5-7 years, but I'll always have a twinge of doubt as to what we're getting. But, I don't think we can pass on a player of his caliber so they need to sign him.

I'd rather have him with those flaws than not have him at all. Maybe Ho-Sang and Strome push him out one day at RW, maybe not, but the guy is an Islander and I'd be very upset to see him wear another jersey.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd rather have him with those flaws than not have him at all. Maybe Ho-Sang and Strome push him out one day at RW, maybe not, but the guy is an Islander and I'd be very upset to see him wear another jersey.

Overall, I think I agree. I'm not 100% confident that he will live up to what we all hope he'll be but, at the end of the day, this team is better with him than without him and I'm not sure a viable replacement is easily attainable. And any potential deal he gets can fit within in our cap construct.

Its also nice to have homegrown guys who maintain a certain atmosphere and comraderie. Supplement that with vets like Boychuk and Leddy and you have a nice culture for the long term.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope he rebounds next year and is more like pre-retinal tear KO and not like the empty husk that came back afterwards.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i hope it's long term at 5.5. i honestly can see Strome as 1st line rw, as early as this coming year. when KO is good, he is really good, but he had his moments when he was hurting the team. this is more a reflection of poor coaching, IMO. instead of bringing him along slowly after he returned from injury, Cappy thrust him into the top line.

i think over 6 is too much.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
6 years at 5.8M per.

I am thinking he is in the $5 to $6 million range. It seems like he can't go more than a season without a significant injury, and when he comes back from one he plays like the worst forward out of all of them for months.

It may be in both party's best interests to do a one year to see if he he can make it through without that cycle repeating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad