Rumor: Isles Inquire With Bruins, Hawks, Flyers About Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Curiouser and curiouser.......

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/methot-negotiations-turn-nasty

*doublechecks Methot's stats*

If salary is really Melnyk's concern, I wonder if he'd even be interested in Grabner, though there are many other starting places for negotiation, if the Sens want to stay on the cheap.

Isles would probably have to pay part of Grabner's salary, and even then, I dunno. For all I know, they could want a prospect like Mayfield to REALLY keep salary low.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I wonder if the isles would retain a little salary, to get a Grabner/Methot deal done?

Isles would probably have to pay part of Grabner's salary, and even then, I dunno. For all I know, they could want a prospect like Mayfield to REALLY keep salary low.

I'd attempt offering to eat 50% and see which LHD prospect they may want that isn't Mayfield - he shoots right, so I'd rather keep him and see how he develops.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nelson-Tavares-Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

de Haan-Hamonic
Methot-Vis
Reinhart-Hickey (I think both can play the right side)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Melnyk wants to save money. He won't want Grabner. He will want cheap value meaning he will ask for deHaan (I would). Snow will say F no. Then Ottawa will look around the league for the best bargain for Marc between now and February. They have no need to hurry a deal yet. I do believe they will want a defenseman somehow though. I could see Strait being one half of what we give them.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Melnyk wants to save money. He won't want Grabner. He will want cheap value meaning he will ask for deHaan (I would). Snow will say F no. Then Ottawa will look around the league for the best bargain for Marc between now and February. They have no need to hurry a deal yet. I do believe they will want a defenseman somehow though. I could see Strait being one half of what we give them.

The press is saying Ottawa wants a scoring forward.I think they have an excess of blueliners with Ceci looking nhl ready and expected to stick.

Methot's agent told the press that he and the GM were only $300,000 apart on a contract, but the Sens front office says that's untrue.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ots-agent-for-leaking-false-contract-details/
“The information that’s written in that article is totally false,†Dorion said. “There’s no other way to put it. You put us in a corner, which isn’t fair — we said we’ve wanted to try and sign Marc from day one and to me, this is negotiation 101 in bad faith.€

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The press is saying Ottawa wants a scoring forward.I think they have an excess of blueliners.

That's the gist that I'd had as well. They won't want Grabner at $9M over the next 2 years, but $4.5 over two is still an improvement on giving Methot $5M per season. One nice benefit of the way the Islanders have their contracts structured - any contract which could be traded for a need requiring NYI to eat a cap hit in order to swing a deal shouldn't be very huge at all, and it works on any team against their budget, internal or league-wide.

Snow should be making a few calls on this one - Methot's agent doesn't sound too enthralled..

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The press is saying Ottawa wants a scoring forward.I think they have an excess of blueliners with Ceci looking nhl ready and expected to stick.

Methot's agent told the press that he and the GM were only $300,000 apart on a contract, but the Sens front office says that's untrue.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ots-agent-for-leaking-false-contract-details/
“The information that’s written in that article is totally false,†Dorion said. “There’s no other way to put it. You put us in a corner, which isn’t fair — we said we’ve wanted to try and sign Marc from day one and to me, this is negotiation 101 in bad faith.â€

So they'd probably ask for Nelson, and that's not happening either.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Talked to B's fans earlier this offseason and they all seem pretty adamant that someone else is gone before Boychuk and I believe them.

Oduya is probably the best bet. Adequate second pair guy on a great team.

Flyers still focused on dumping Vinny to solve their cap problems. Flyers still doing Flyers things.

I wouldn't be so sure, as the Bruins are saving their coins next yr to resign Hamilton and with the emergence of Miller the return of Seidenberg and more depth coming in with the likes of Trotman & Morrow, along with the return they could get for Boychuk all adds up to bye bye Johnny.

I really couldn't see PC trading him in the east, unless a team extensively overpaid, but if there was a team I'd think the NYL would be the most likely because Snow and PC have been trading partners in the past.

My bet Boychuk is gone out west by game 1. He's a true warrior and one tough sob but the Bruins aren't going to let him walk next yr for nothing.

I have to toot my own horn on this one.:naughty:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I have to toot my own horn on this one.:naughty:

As well you should! This is the 2nd time I've called I Snow move pre-emptively, though we can forget about Ty Wishart. :laugh:

The following sentence may cause some to need a drink:

Snow built a team that is, at the very least, a playoff contender. As wide open as the East is, as long as this roster is healthy, they should go as far as the cohesive unit of players takes them - and they have no current needs.

Let that sink in - no current needs. Remains to be seen if they resign Boychuk and it's a step back if they don't, but I see depth in all positions as of this season.

Now they just need to roll out the red carpet for Boychuk and blow him away with a new contract.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
As well you should! This is the 2nd time I've called I Snow move pre-emptively, though we can forget about Ty Wishart. :laugh:

Snow built a team that is, at the very least, a playoff contender. As wide open as the East is, as long as this roster is healthy, they should go as far as the cohesive unit of players takes them - and they have no current needs.

Let that sink in - no current needs. Remains to be seen if they resign Boychuk and it's a step back if they don't, but I see depth in all positions as of this season.

Now they just need to roll out the red carpet for Boychuk and blow him away with a new contract.

Not to mention that, to the extent that needs emerge, they have Reinhart/Pulock and Strome/Lee NHL ready if they don't claim spots outright now.

startainfection*

Oh but when I call them a contender I'm crazy

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Oh but when I call them a contender I'm crazy

I never called you crazy, though there's a line between a team with no current holes as of 24 hours ago and a team such as Anaheim or LA.

We just need time to gel, and coaching is still questionable. If they were to win 48 games this season and tear ass into the Conference Finals, I'll GLADLY agree with ya, though. ;)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think if we are doing well at the half way point, Snow will go all out for a top 3 on JT's wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad