NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Last edited:

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
As always, boychuck would be fine; it just depends on what the Isles give up.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
All the targeted players are making the same dough (PHI) Schenn, Grossman (CHI) Oduya and (BOS) Boychuk and varying degrees of UFA or heading into UFA in year 2.

Seems like Strait or Hickey would go back as I don't see the Isles keeping that much depth and the other team probably wants a cheap body in return.

If the Isles did any of these moves (CHI/BOS preferred), then this team could be a looking real darn good for 2015 playoffs.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Snow should be negotiating from a position of power with the Cap-strapped teams that need some flexibility before the season starts. I'm not saying we will fleece someone for a top 4 defenseman BUT I would be extremely disappointed if we give up a player of equal value. I'm hoping that 1) the trade actually happens and 2) If/When it does happen, on paper anyway it should look like we got the better of the trade.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Oh please let it be Boychuck. He's a better fit than even Boyle, IMO.

And if we somehow could send Strait back in return, I'd part with one of our second tier d prospects and a pick happily.

Strait, Pelech/Mayfield & 3rd rounder in 2016? Is that a possibility?

Then give him a lovely tour around DUMBO/Carroll Gardens and extend his ass for 3 more years.

CdH - Hamonic
Viz - Boychuck
Griff - Hickey

I'm down with that.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'd be surprised if Boston traded Boychuck before the season. They have other guys that would be on the chopping block first such as Adam McQuaid. If they do trade Boychuck, I would think it would require a payment that some here might be uncomfortable with.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Talked to B's fans earlier this offseason and they all seem pretty adamant that someone else is gone before Boychuk and I believe them.

Oduya is probably the best bet. Adequate second pair guy on a great team.

Flyers still focused on dumping Vinny to solve their cap problems. Flyers still doing Flyers things.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Snow should be negotiating from a position of power with the Cap-strapped teams that need some flexibility before the season starts. I'm not saying we will fleece someone for a top 4 defenseman BUT I would be extremely disappointed if we give up a player of equal value. I'm hoping that 1) the trade actually happens and 2) If/When it does happen, on paper anyway it should look like we got the better of the trade.

The other teams may be cash-strapped, but top-4 defensemen are still in short supply. We would have to give up good value or some other team (Edmonton, Colorado, Florida, etc) will step in and make the deal.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I'd be surprised if Boston traded Boychuck before the season. They have other guys that would be on the chopping block first such as Adam McQuaid. If they do trade Boychuck, I would think it would require a payment that some here might be uncomfortable with.

Talked to B's fans earlier this offseason and they all seem pretty adamant that someone else is gone before Boychuk and I believe them.

Oduya is probably the best bet. Adequate second pair guy on a great team.

Flyers still focused on dumping Vinny to solve their cap problems. Flyers still doing Flyers things.

I agree. Once Savard goes on LTIR, the Bruins will be under the cap. They aren't quite in the cap panic mode that would necessitate moving a player like Boychuk from a position of weakness.

People around here probably hate the word patience, but I think we need to see this team through and spring for the 'Cup move' in a year or two.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I wouldn't read too much into it TBH, but I think it's mainly Snow saying if (or when)they need to get rid of a body or two, they should give him call.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Might have to involve a guy like Lee. Not sure I'd want to do that.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Given that the Bruins still need to sign Krug and Smith, and given Boychuk is a UFA after this year, I don't think the B's will get that much back for Boychuk (especially not a deal that includes Pelech/Mayfield). Given that situation, it is more likely the Bruins deal McQuaid and/or Bartkowski.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Boychuk would be great but I'm scared about what we would have to give. Please not Nielsen.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
From day one of the offseason I thought Boychuck and Oduya made the most sense as cheap trade targets on cap pressed teams. The price shouldn't be too high (a cheap replacement player and a draft pick sounds right for a rental)

Brian Strait and a 2nd rd pick for Boychuck makes a lot of sense. Aside from Strait being from MA, he also would fit right into their system as a depth defenceman.

I can also see Matt Donovan being included in any potential deal. I don't agree with it, I think he should get another shot here but its a rel possibility.

Just for reference.... my post from July 4 (seems like a lifetime ago)

Some have eluded to there being "too many bodies" including the hockey genius Art Staple (and I mean that in the most sarcastic derogatory way in his case), but I simply don't see it, in fact I think they are probably short a body (nhl veteran defenceman).

NHL Forwards:
John Tavares
Ryan Strome
Brock Nelson
Frans Nielsen
Anderson Lee
Kyle Okposo
Mikhail Grabovski
Nikolai Kulemin
Cal Clutterbuck
Josh Bailey
Michael Grabner
Matt Martin
Casey Cizikas
(That's 13)

Insurance: C.McDonald, Conacher, Boulton, Skille

NHL Defense:
Travis Hamonic
Calvin de Haan
Thomas Hickey
Lubomir Viznovsky
Matt Donovan
Griffin Reinhart
Brian Strait
Matt Carkner (needs replacing, pains me to put him in this category)

Insurance: TJ Brennan, Kevin Czuczman

NHL Goalie:
Jaroslav Halak
Chad Johnson

Insurance: Leggio, Poulin

All players I listed as insurance are AHL level players at this point. None of them have significant salaries and they can be waived and demoted at any time without any negative consequences. They can also be of service in the NHL in case of any training camp/pre season/ regular season injuries assuming they clear waivers.

Still missing a top 4 NHL veteran defenceman in the form of a boychuck or oduya which can be acquired via trade via draft picks. But I'm doubting they add salary at this point. But certainly NOT too many bodies. Just enough if you ask me (well one short of just enough). First time in a long time, that's why it's so foreign to Islanders fans and "experts" like Staple.

By the way, salary wise.... if the insurance guys like McDonald, conacher, Boulton, and Matt carkner are the players waived/traded. Then the qualifying offers of Lee, de haan, cizikas, Donovan shouldn't cause the payroll to go up from where it is now by very much at all. Meaning they can keep the payroll at 55 million by keeping the right players OR add 2 or 3 million to the payroll for boychuck/oduya and have an NHL roster with depth for 58 million. Not too bad.

The Oduya and Boychuck reference bolded, as well as my prediction at the potential of a 58 million dollar payroll with the addition of one of those players. I still see it shaping out this way.

Last edited:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Boychuk would be great but I'm scared about what we would have to give. Please not Nielsen.

Nielsen wouldn't help the B's get under the cap.

We would be looking at a cheap roster player, possibly with salary retained, plus a good prospect.

Boston isn't under the gun here. They can send Hamilton to the minors for one day, move Savard to IR, then re-sign Krug and Smith and bring Hamilton back up. I am sure that they would do that before they moved Boychuk for a small return.

I think at least a Pelech quality prospect, possibly even Pokka, in addition to a cheap roster player would be required to get Boychuk.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'd settle for McQuaid, or Grossman, or Schenn, or Oduya. They all make this team much better on the backend.

I think McQuaid is the cheaper and better option. This team has no toughness on the backend.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
When dealing with a team over the cap, Snow is dealing from a position of strength. So don't give away the farm Garth!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd settle for McQuaid, or Grossman, or Schenn, or Oduya. They all make this team much better on the backend.

I think McQuaid is the cheaper and better option. This team has no toughness on the backend.

Not sure I'd want Grossman on that list, but the others I'd happily take back. At a varying degree of costs, of course.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
When dealing with a team over the cap, Snow is dealing from a position of strength. So don't give away the farm Garth!

They won't be when they put Savard on LTIR.

With Savard, they have 12 forwards, 7 dmen, and 2 goalies signed for a total cap payroll of 69.8 MM. Salary cap is 69 MM.

When Savard goes to LTIR and his 4 MM comes off the books, they will have 11 fowards, 7 dmen, and 2 goalies signed for 65.8 MM. They will need to sign 3 players with that 3.2 MM of space. It's a tight window,, but not an impossible one.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Grossman makes Donovan look like Bobby Orr. Not really but Grossman is horror show in his own end and worse up ice. His outlet passes are putrid and he just seems to be getting slower every year. I have watched him time and again get skated around.
Anyone but Grossman!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lee gets you Boychuk in my unbiased opinion. They can move (or attempt to move) guys like Kelly and McQuaid and place Savard on LTIR before trading Boychuk. Also, Boychuk being an impending UFA doesn't bring down his value (even if they aren't going to re-sign him) because losing Boychuk gets them further away from a shot at winning the cup.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see the Bruins trading away their best chance to win the east. They don't have an unlimited window.

The Hawks, on the other hand, I could see making some moves to prevent serious problems next year. Their window is looong and they only have 3 d-men signed for next year. I have no idea what that would look like, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad