Islanders Point Blank: Isles coaching purge continues ( assistants out)

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
What the staff did or did not do 8 years ago has no bearing on the current prospect pool. Or do you consider players drafted in 2010 prospects still?
I don't think you're stupid, so I'm just gonna assume you're intentionally trying not to understand what I'm writing and stop responding. Have a good day!

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
I don't think you're stupid, so I'm just gonna assume you're intentionally trying not to understand what I'm writing and stop responding. Have a good day!
Likewise, I don’t consider you stupid :laugh:
I think you might have lost track of what was being discussed along the way though. I was not defending the scouting and drafting of the islanders. I was debating your claim that all the recent high first round picks should make our prospect pool better. We do not have a lot of recent high draft picks which should be part of our prospect pool, and any draft picks as long ago as you are referring to, should no longer be prospects. Anyway, not really worth the time discussing something so irrelevant. Cheers!

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Oh, yes, you can't include busted prospects while trying to judge the drafting staff, that would be irrational :sarcasm:

You’re changing what your original statement was. The conversation didn’t start by you saying we had a poor drafting staff. It started by you saying we have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. You can argue the first, but the second is going to be tough to prove.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if about the time Lou said his "intent" was to honor his TOR contract he didn't have a meeting with Hunter to go over the draft. No line to cross there since he was a TOR employee and hadn't yet received the offer from Malkin that bowled him over.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I wonder if about the time Lou said his "intent" was to honor his TOR contract he didn't have a meeting with Hunter to go over the draft. No line to cross there since he was a TOR employee and hadn't yet received the offer from Malkin that bowled him over.
I fully expect Lou to fire all of the scouts at the draft table, and then read his own selections off of a stained bar napkin.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Conversely, if you know you’re about to get fired, what’s the motivation for doing your job well until then?

As a Local Union #3 electrician in New Your City every day potentially is that day. My motivation ?
I do my job as a professional until they come with an envelope and ask me to pack my tools. Don't sweat the things you can't control

Reactions: JKP

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
As a Local Union #3 electrician in New Your City every day potentially is that day. My motivation ?
I do my job as a professional until they come with an envelope and ask me to pack my tools. Don't sweat the things you can't control
Liar. Union employees aren't motivated by anything. ;)

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Isn't it really hard to get fired from Local 3?

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
The fact that Luke Richardson and Fred Braithwaite are still employed is astonishing. You have to assume they are sitting ducks and Lou hasn't gotten to them yet.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The Devils have I believe six Euro scouts, the Islanders have one. Toronto has a Director of Euro Scouts and an assistant Director of Euro scouts to go along with a half dozen just dedicated to Europe. This is a big problem.

As far as the Islanders prospect pool ranking.... I agree it's pretty bad at the moment. Take into account the parameters of who is still considered a prospect and who graduated over the past two years and you're left with who? Keiffer Bellows, Ilya Sorokin, Linus Soderstrom and maybe Devon Toews as high end prospects? Not the worst in the league, but certainly has to be in the back half.

But considering the fact that they have four high picks in this coming draft and Pulock, Beauvillier, Barzal and Pelech all graduated in the past two years and are pretty important players? I don't think this is too much of an issue.

How is this not an issue?
Last year NY trades away their 1st?

This year people are already talking about trading one of our two first rd picks for Washington's goalie.

Quite the overpayment which shows major desperation.
Someone needs to take the blame for not having a Number 1 goalie in the system who is ready to play now.
Our scouts, assistants, management, and Director of Player Personnel are as responsible as Snow.

For instance a team like DC has Samsonov, Holtby, and Grubs.
NYI have one of the worst goalie situations in the entire league and it's not going to improve this Summer.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think Isles scouting has been underfunded. I used to think their draft tendencies were about preference, we never drafted Euro's and I'd suspect that we barely had any scouting presence in that region. Look at how we always went to the Waterloo well in the later rounds.

I think Lou knows he has to pump some money and resources into that department, Malkin seems to have given him a green light for whatever he wants to do too.
I think it was underfunded, but it's been better funded lately. During the rebuild I recall looking and we had something like 8 or 9 scouts total, and this time period included when Waterloo was our unofficial junior yeam. Over the last few years though, I have noticed it increasing and we now have 15, which is pretty in line with what the big budget teams employ, I also feel like our drafting has been better over the last few years as well (and we haven't taken any more Waterloo players). I would still like to see us add a few more, in particular ones in Europe, as you mention -- we currently only have one scout listed that's based in Europe and that's just not enough. At the very least we need a scout for Russia.

That said, I would not be at all opposed to Klatt being dismissed as Director of Ameteur Scouting. I would like to hang onto Kautonen, I think. Individual scouts are nearly impossible to judge as an outsider, so I'll just have to trust Lou on that one and expect he'll turn the ones over as he sees their work not meet expectations.

Reactions: PWJunior

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
This isn’t about the drafting staff. This conversation was about the prospect pool and it’s quality. You claimed the isles should have a better prospect pool based on all of the recent high first round picks.
NY should have less incompetent player personnel people. High draft picks yes but also second and mid rd picks need to be hits once in awhile.

Not to mention how often do you hear that we signed a top FA college player named such and such?I
NEVER!
Hell no one even mentions us in the bidding.
What about international free agents?
We got Rathgeb. OK WHOOPIE!
NY rarely signs the undrafted undersized Tyler Johnson's of the world.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Someone needs to take the blame for not having a Number 1 goalie in the system who is ready to play now.
Our scouts, assistants, management, and Director of Player Personnel are as responsible as Snow.

For instance a team like DC has Samsonov, Holtby, and Grubs.
NYI have one of the worst goalie situations in the entire league and it's not going to improve this Summer.

Preaching to the choir

I've said it over and over, Snows biggest failure is and has been his inability to stabilize the goaltending position in the twelve years he's had to do it.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think it was underfunded, but it's been better funded lately. During the rebuild I recall looking and we had something like 8 or 9 scouts total, and this time period included when Waterloo was our unofficial junior yeam. Over the last few years though, I have noticed it increasing and we now have 15, which is pretty in line with what the big budget teams employ, I also feel like our drafting has been better over the last few years as well (and we haven't taken any more Waterloo players). I would still like to see us add a few more, in particular ones in Europe, as you mention -- we currently only have one scout listed that's based in Europe and that's just not enough. At the very least we need a scout for Russia.

That said, I would not be at all opposed to Klatt being dismissed as Director of Ameteur Scouting. I would like to hang onto Kautonen, I think. Individual scouts are nearly impossible to judge as an outsider, so I'll just have to trust Lou on that one and expect he'll turn the ones over as he sees their work not meet expectations.

I fully expect LL to hire a director of amateur scouting whom he trusts (Hunter), who will then bring in his own team of euro scouts. Trent Klatt will be demoted to assistant director of amateur scouting and more than likely the scouts on staff will mostly retain their jobs. For the past decade + the Islanders have almost completely disregarded an entire region of hockey talent. The only Euro (Non-NA) player on the current roster is Griess unless Aho makes the team.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Sure. But if you knew you were getting your walking papers on June 22, how would your last week of work go?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Sure. But if you knew you were getting your walking papers on June 22, how would your last week of work go?

To respond I will quote the Beach Boys
" we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow, down in Kokomo"
If I know the date then of course the boss knows too. He has the power to hire and fire but the $$$ is made for both him and me with the tools that come out of the little bag with a handle on it and it goes wherever I go. Anyone can be a hockey scout . Very few can be an IBEW LOCAL 3 Electrician .

Reactions: Big L

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad