Proposal: Islanders/Wild

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just looking at rosters it seems like the Islanders have a glut of left wings while the wild have a glut of right wings. How about a bad contract for bad contract type of deal

Bailey for Pominville(1.85M retained)

Bailey cap hit is 2 years @3.3M, Pominville is 3 years @5.6M

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So we're paying almost 5.3M for Bailey for the next two years? I think I'd rather just keep Pominville.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So we're paying almost 5.3M for Bailey for the next two years? I think I'd rather just keep Pominville.

His cap hit is $3.3m per year for two more years. He doesn't have a NMC so I'd take the deal just so we don't have to protect Pominville.

Edit: whoops, missed the retained part. So $5.15m for two years and an open protection spot vs $5.6m for three years and a taken spot.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
His cap hit is $3.3m per year for two more years. He doesn't have a NMC so I'd take the deal just so we don't have to protect Pominville.

Edit: whoops, missed the retained part. So $5.15m for two years and an open protection spot vs $5.6m for three years and a taken spot.

That NMC could be an issue(I didn't realize Pominville had one). First we would have to get him to allow it I guess, secondly I wouldn't do the deal if we were forced to protect him

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
On the fringe. Pommer is a class act and was looking much better Jan->April. Best defensive winger last season...

I d take this deal because of the expansion draft. Without the expansion draft maybe a pass.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Just looking at rosters it seems like the Islanders have a glut of left wings while the wild have a glut of right wings. How about a bad contract for bad contract type of deal

Bailey for Pominville(1.85M retained)

Bailey cap hit is 2 years @3.3M, Pominville is 3 years @5.6M

Why Would the Wild Do This?

Bailey is at nature a Center who is now playing right wing not left wing.

Would The Islanders be better without Bailey......Yes Yes Yes

But They are not getting Pom!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On the fringe. Pommer is a class act and was looking much better Jan->April. Best defensive winger last season...

I d take this deal because of the expansion draft. Without the expansion draft maybe a pass.

Pominville our best defensive winger? :laugh:

Bailey must really suck.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Bailey must really suck.

Honestly. He had good stats when war on ice was still up. Good takeaway differential, low on ice high danger scoring against per 60 and corsi was ok.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly. He had good stats when war on ice was still up. Good takeaway differential, low on ice high danger scoring against per 60 and corsi was ok.

Yet another reason to take some " advanced" stats with an entire shaker of salt. You're not exactly seeing Poms out on the PK very often, are you? Has he EVER been on the PK for us?

I will say this. Poms might do very well on Tavares wing. He is a smart offensive player. It remains to be seen how much more he has in the tank. I thought he was done, but he had a good last half of the year, and was our leading scorer in the playoffs.

J22*

That NMC could be an issue(I didn't realize Pominville had one). First we would have to get him to allow it I guess, secondly I wouldn't do the deal if we were forced to protect him

The NTC would be the only reason the Wild would consider the deal.

Bailey must really suck.

If you considered Coyle a center last year, then it's not a stretch at all to say Pommer was the best defensive wing on the team.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Yet another reason to take some " advanced" stats with an entire shaker of salt. You're not exactly seeing Poms out on the PK very often, are you? Has he EVER been on the PK for us?

I will say this. Poms might do very well on Tavares wing. He is a smart offensive player. It remains to be seen how much more he has in the tank. I thought he was done, but he had a good last half of the year, and was our leading scorer in the playoffs.

Not talking about PK. He was put together with Haula in the shutdown line for a reason and it was not the slapper...

The big money players don't play PK on wild because you need to block shots and blocked shots mean injury risk. Stoll was atrocious on PK and they still had him out there over Granlund.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not talking about PK. He was put together with Haula in the shutdown line for a reason and it was not the slapper...

The big money players don't play PK on wild because you need to block shots and blocked shots mean injury risk. Stoll was atrocious on PK and they still had him out there over Granlund.

What a spin doctor! Pominville was put on the Haula line ( AKA 3rd line) because he sucked so badly on the top two lines. He is a soft, slowing player who is subpar along the wall and without the puck. He is nowhere near a good defensive player at this point in his career.

He is a decent or better offensive player if he continues on where he left off last year.

J22*

What a spin doctor! Pominville was put on the Haula line ( AKA 3rd line) because he sucked so badly on the top two lines. He is a soft, slowing player who is subpar along the wall and without the puck. He is nowhere near a good defensive player at this point in his career.

He is a decent or better offensive player if he continues on where he left off last year.

Pomminville is far and away the best Wild winger in his own zone (not counting Coyle) and his back pressure is good enough to keep him above the rest when taking the overall game into consideration.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't know how bad Pominville is these days, so I personally can't comment.

Bailey's not bad, he's just not a difference maker. He's depth.

If Pominville still has some left in the tank to be difference maker with a change of scenery, it's worth it. But if it's just for a more expensive non-difference maker depth move, hell no.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Calling me a spin doctor bro?

Pomminville has the 2nd lowest goals against on 5v5 after Haula out of team forwards. 2nd best Fenwick for %, after Niederreiter. Every defensive stat i can find is ok.

You are confusing him with Vanek...

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I'd only do it for zero retention. Wild could add a pick if necessary but not paying $5.15 mil for Bailey for 2 years and a dead $1.85 the year after that.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I would think about straight up, but right now, we don't have the cap space. We have 6 RFAs and about 4 mill in cap left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad