Pre-Game Talk: Islanders @ SENS, Friday 7:30 pm

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We need to wing these next few. And when the schedule gets crazy we need to learn how to at least get some games to OT. Trap if we have too. Gotta collect points

Reactions: LiseL and Flamingo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Going to need to shake off the rust quick, these long breaks between games are historically brutal, if we can play a safe game until we get our legs back, I think we can pull off the win but I don't expect a strong start, more of a bend don't break.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Going to need to shake off the rust quick, these long breaks between games are historically brutal, if we can play a safe game until we get our legs back, I think we can pull off the win but I don't expect a strong start, more of a bend don't break.
Detroit had no issues

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Detroit had no issues
Ok? Great that you have one example as the historical trend across multiple sports however suggests it's something that needs to be overcome. Good for Detroit in managing to do so, but if we pretend it's not a factor and go into the game expecting to come out flying I think we're in for trouble. The coaches need to recognize these things and plan around it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ok? Great that you have one example as the historical trend across multiple sports however suggests it's something that needs to be overcome. Good for Detroit in managing to do so, but if we pretend it's not a factor and go into the game expecting to come out flying I think we're in for trouble. The coaches need to recognize these things and plan around it.
Is there actual data that shows playing after a certain length of break usually results in a loss? I actually don’t know

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If you think December is a problem, look at March.

Ya there's a lot of games in December and January but there's only 2 back to backs. You have to go on the road, you have to play the Colorado's and the Dallas's. I honestly don't think it's that bad. It certainly shouldn't be an excuse

March on the other hand has 5 back to backs. That's rough. I think we might need a comfortable buffer on March 1st.
How common is that in the league? That sounds pretty outrageous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is there actual data that shows playing after a certain length of break usually results in a loss? I actually don’t know
I saw data on it a while back but was only able to find this right now, In the NHL, Between 2016-17 and 2019-20, teams went a combined 48-53-22 in their first games after bye weeks,

It's not a huge drop off, but it is a factor. Just like playing back to back isn't an automatic lose, but it is a factor and teams should be taking it into account when planing their game

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I saw data on it a while back but was only able to find this right now, In the NHL, Between 2016-17 and 2019-20, teams went a combined 48-53-22 in their first games after bye weeks,

It's not a huge drop off, but it is a factor. Just like playing back to back isn't an automatic lose, but it is a factor and teams should be taking it into account when planing their game
Bye week is different

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The back to backs are only an issue when the team you are playing isn't also on one. If they are, no excuses. Three out of five of our March back to backs are against teams who will also be playing two in two, so I don't count those. Rough is what we faced a few weeks ago, when Vancouver was sitting a hotel room here in Ottawa watching us on TV playing on the road.

Like everyone else, though, I am tired of the excuses - we have had too long a break, too many games back to back, injuries, bad calls, they made us go to Sweden, blah blah blah. Go win some hockey games. No whining allowed...

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The back to backs are only an issue when the team you are playing isn't also on one. If they are, no excuses. Three out of five of our March back to backs are against teams who will also be playing two in two, so I don't count those. Rough is what we faced a few weeks ago, when Vancouver was sitting a hotel room here in Ottawa watching us on TV playing on the road.

Like everyone else, though, I am tired of the excuses - we have had too long a break, too many games back to back, injuries, bad calls, they made us go to Sweden, blah blah blah. Go win some hockey games. No whining allowed...
You forgot bounces

Reactions: Larionov

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm not looking to excuse anything, I'm looking for the team to recognize the situation and adapt it's game plan accordingly. Just like you might want to not play the same goalie in both games of a back to back, you should probably make ajustments coming off extended breaks.

The team lives in the real world and has to recognize when they have a disadvantage and make adjustments to mitigate it, they do this all the time whether it be using strategies to deal with jet lag, playing in higher altitudes, or on back to backs. Every teams schedule will have advantageous runs and disadvantageous ones, you have to play through them, so make the best of a bad situation and try and figure how to win,

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Looks like Forsberg on Friday night for sure. It's hard to imagine a guy leaving practice early the day before a game, then playing the next night. When goalies try to play hurt, it usually doesn't work out very well....

Reactions: DrEasy

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Looks like Forsberg on Friday night for sure. It's hard to imagine a guy leaving practice early the day before a game, then playing the next night. When goalies try to play hurt, it usually doesn't work out very well....

I mean that is one of the reasons why the Bruins lost to the Panthers in round 1. Ullmark was playing hurt i believe.

If Korpisalo is injured, let him rest and heal up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and Larionov

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Anyone remember Damian Rhoades??

damianrhodes.jpeg

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Have to bring this up but JBD has been quietly very solid for us.'

He also leads our team in blocekd shots

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Woo-hoo, we're over 500 :D
That deserves a "major award"!

A-Christmas-Story-Deluxe-Full-Size-50-inch-Leg-Lamp-2.jpg

I was impressed with Detroit's coach when he was on TV as a commentator during the playoffs last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad