GDT: Islanders @ Panthers "The team who's home crowd makes our crowd look great" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Most elite players have either great speed or a quick acceleration. They use it to deceive defends, lose players, chase down loose pucks and separate themselves from the pack. Can't really think of many elite players who don't have this. Maybe Pavelski I guess. For what he doesn't have in skating, he makes up for in skills with the puck like a quick shot, deking ability and accuracy.

Huby can't wheel. His shot isn't accurate or hard. He's a slow skater in general. The things he is decent at are passing, deking the goalie and being tenacious when he wants to be. He's missing too many intangibles to do it all on his and be an elite star. Imo, his ceiling is 65 points and that's if everything goes right and he plays on a fantastic line all year. I also think he needs more size. He always seems frail. Not saying that's good or bad. Just my opinion.

Call me crazy but Jagr is still putting up elite numbers and he's quite slow nowadays.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Guds already got himself involved in the play when Campbell was a good 5+ meters away from the bench (seriously, how is that Campbell's fault? he's not the one that decides to cheat, that's either on Madden or Guds himself) and like I said, it would have been a penalty regardless of whether Campbell hustled or not. Guds is involved in the play from the very moment he steps on the ice, that's a clear cut too many men on the ice, even if Campbell had been closer to the bench.

For us to blame Campbell on that, Guds would have needed to remain on the bench while Campbell went for the change, thus causing an odd-man rush and a potential scoring chance.

While of course the most blame goes to Guds, my point is that Soup and Madden did not do their job either, therefore also carry a small part of the blame.

Although I'd like to see the guy who refuses to jump on when the assistant coach is screaming at you to go.

I guess that Guds had the confidence that Soup would be on the bench in time and that Madden chose the right moment for him. He hopefully will check by himself in the future.

Just happy that it did not decide the game, otherwise Guds was good. I like them playing together because Soup makes better passes than Mitchell allowing Guds to accept the puck cleaner for better and faster outbreaks. Soup on the coverage/boardwork though: yikes

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
But Jagr is legendary and not to mention he has all time great strength
Jagr is an anomaly. Huby had a decent game last night and seems to fit with Bjugs better than most, but to give him over 20 minutes of playing time is nuts. This is a guy that is clearly a favorite of Gallants and doesn't deserve the pampering. I think he belongs on the 3rd line as he does play average defense. :)

Hopefully, some of the prospects will unseat him in the next few years. I can only dream of the kind of goal production some of the other players could put up if they were given his minutes and playing partners.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
In the broadcast they said he hurt it during the 1st, and he played at least half the second, so it's probably not serious.

Let's try

Pirri-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Smith
Shaw-Jokinen-Bolland
Howden-Mack-Brickley

I'd be down for those lines. Firstly because I'd love to see how Bjugstad does on the wing and secondly because it rewards Tro for his performance so far this season.

The hubs hate is out of control. He was our leading scorer last year and played well. He's been snake bitten this year. Crosby isn't putting up great numbers, it happens.

As long as we have a coach who doesn't start our offensive players in the offensive zone most of the time, we'll probably never have anyone break 65 points.

He is leading assists and playing "horribly" as some would say so when he does heat up, he should be fighting for the scoring lead again. If he would just simplify some of his decisions, the points and goals will start adding up. Definitely haven't given up on the kid, his flashes of skill will become more consistent as he is still only 22 years old.

I'd say Barkov is our best shot at hitting 65+ points next year. Huberdeau and Bjugstad may crack 60 but probably not this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad