Post-Game Talk: Islanders 2 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yes, like the even better opportunity Saint Nik passed up before he scored his goal.

Remember how all 4 lines played with purpose and the team was 11 games over .500 BEFORE he was seamlessly integrated back into the line-up? Guess it's everyone else's fault again.
Don't really know why you are jumping on me for saying the Jets need to shoot more. You don't like Ehlers apparently. I want Connor shooting more because he has one of the best shots on the team pure and simple. And It's not Ehlers fault that the entire bottom 6 can't put a puck in the net now.

Reactions: GNP and Inanna

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Its never about what page you are on...

Or if you disappeared...

Does anyone care... ?

Some never do...

And that's the difference in the end...

giphy.gif
That's deep.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I wouldn't groan about that. Did you see how well the jets passed the puck in the Islanders game: a foot ahead ,inbetween the legs,a foot behind, and turnovers aplenty while Heinola who has passing skills in spades plays on the Moose because he is not big enough in the blind spot that's endemic with Bones. Hockey is all about shooting, stopping the puck and PASSING. That mantra should override size!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I wouldn't groan about that. Did you see how well the jets passed the puck in the Islanders game: a foot ahead ,inbetween the legs,a foot behind, and turnovers aplenty while Heinola who has passing skills in spades plays on the Moose because he is not big enough in the blind spot that's endemic with Bones. Hockey is all about shooting, stopping the puck and PASSING. That mantra should override size!
I think the groan had to do with the Dad joke :laugh:

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Don't really know why you are jumping on me for saying the Jets need to shoot more. You don't like Ehlers apparently. I want Connor shooting more because he has one of the best shots on the team pure and simple. And It's not Ehlers fault that the entire bottom 6 can't put a puck in the net now.
You've "jumped on me" plenty of times, so spare me.

Yes, I don't like Ehlers because he seems to be absolved of criticism and people (like you and a long list of others) draw cover for him when he screws up, and over-credit him whenever the Jets do something right.

It's almost never his fault in the "Post-Game Talk" threads. Appleton sure is being piled-on for that pass. No mention of Ehlers in that entire sequence. Standard. Or literally any defensive sequence, which he's not good at btw.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yes, I don't like Ehlers because he seems to be absolved of criticism and people (like you and a long list of others) draw cover for him when he screws up, and over-credit him whenever the Jets do something right.

It's almost never his fault in the "Post-Game Talk" threads. Appleton sure is being piled-on for that pass. No mention of Ehlers in that entire sequence. Standard. Or literally any defensive sequence, which he's not good at btw.

@voyageur has complained about Ehlers about forty seven times in the trade thread :laugh:

There was a pages long argument a few days ago wondering if Ehlers fits on the Jets and whether he could be trade bait.

Add on to that years of "can't perform in playoffs" "too small" "draft less europeans and more good ol Canadian boys".

It's literally Appleton's fault on the play. He is not Ehlers, or Connor, or Scheifele. He shouldn't be trying drop passes at the blue line. He doesn't have the offensive IQ to pull it off with any reliability.

Ehlers went back and had to cover 2 players off a rebound. Maybe if it was defensive star Appleton back there he would have prevented a goal, but alas.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I understand a team can ride a solid top 6 and a Hart-worthy goalie for most of the year and be a PO team. Imo in the PO's this lack of depth won't fly though when games get tighter.

These numbers are just staggering. Then consider the low/no goal scoring from appelton, kuhlman, stenlund, or gustafsson. That's half your fwds.

Lowry hasn't scored in 31 games?!

Reactions: GNP and hockeyarena

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree they need to do better. But team's preparing for the Jets know that there is basically no threat from 3rd or 4th line. Easier to game plan/match against.
They're generating quality chances. Yeah they have worse hands, but over the last 10 games, everyone's on-ice SH% has been unsustainably low.

Bottom 6 SH% Last 10 Games / SH% prior to last 10 games

Lowry 1.72% / 7.83%
Kuhlman 2.00% / 7.50%
Stenlund 0.00% / 8.11%
Appleton with Lowry: 0.00% / 0.00%
Barron 6.78% / 7.47%
Maenalanen 6.25% / 7.27%
Gagner 0.00% / 7.02%
Avg: 2.79% / 7.53% (-4.74%)

But the Top 6 5v5 SH% has also dried up over the last 10 games / vs prior:
Wheeler 3.39% / 9.91%
Perfetti 3.77% / 10.61%
Connor 9.21% / 10.40%
Scheifele 9.09% / 8.65%
Ehlers 5.71% / 11.76%
Dubois 7.81% / 11.86%
Avg: 6.5% / 10.53% (-4.03%)

Since 80% of Jets goals come from the Top 6 in general, it's really bad news when they go cold...

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
@voyageur has complained about Ehlers about forty seven times in the trade thread :laugh:

There was a pages long argument a few days ago wondering if Ehlers fits on the Jets and whether he could be trade bait.

Add on to that years of "can't perform in playoffs" "too small" "draft less europeans and more good ol Canadian boys".

It's literally Appleton's fault on the play. He is not Ehlers, or Connor, or Scheifele. He shouldn't be trying drop passes at the blue line. He doesn't have the offensive IQ to pull it off with any reliability.

Ehlers went back and had to cover 2 players off a rebound. Maybe if it was defensive star Appleton back there he would have prevented a goal, but alas.
That was nice no look return pass Appleton made to Connor off the hop that created a 2-1 that Connor put off the bar. Ehlers also could have been the opening hero with his sweet setup to Wheeler.

Previous poster is right. Ehlers is exempt from criticism. Last night was an improvement for him, he went to dirtier areas, though he still had a direct line to the goalie for one shot, or a hard net drive, and passed it off, for a turnover, because that was the safest play for him. I don't think Bones will like his transitional turnovers in the 3rd. That whole sequence that resulted in the 1-0 goal didn't lose the game though. It was a potential icing call that got negated and turned into a shitshow that lost the Jets game. They seemed quite content to play for a 1-1 tie in the 3rd up until that point.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019

Speaking of one of Ehlers biggest defenders...

What part of "It's almost never his fault in the "Post-Game Talk" threads." did you not understand?

It's always a treat reading your posts, especially the ones where you're pushing the Puljujarvi-stock. Still no buyers after two years, huh?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Hey i don't remember jumping on you for anything, i don't tend to do that to anyone but if i did, sorry dude.I think Ehlers does have the odd brain fart out there but overall is way more of help than a hindrance for the Jets.

Reactions: GNP and Dale53130

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019

You're right, maybe if it was defensive star Appleton back there, he would have prevented the goal. He also likely knows that you can't cover 2 players at once.

But Appleton also doesn't have Ehlers panoramic eyes of seeing everything around him in real time - to know that it was two guys - nor does Appleton have the clairvoyant ability that Ehlers has when he passed up that first shot on the power play, before shooting to score on his next attempt.

Btw, you've mentioned this stigma that Winnipegers have against European players. I'm not saying it hasn't been written, but you're the only person afaik that's said anything like this on this section of the forum. Outside of Olausson, I can't think of too many people who've gone after European (or Eastern Bloc) players who've played in Winnipeg, solely off of them coming from that section of the World. In fact, I'd argue that people in Winnipeg, have a tendency to think more highly of them, BECAUSE they're from Europe.

If anyone thinks Ehlers is soft (or "soff"), it's because he's soft [edited to add that he can be perceived as being soft]. Who cares where he's from? Was Steen soft? Selanne? Forsberg? Sundin? I don't think any of those guys - all skilled players - were soft. If they spent as much time falling on the ice as Ehlers does - having a love affair with it - then I think it would be fair to label them as being soft. He gives EVERYONE reason to think he's soft. I personally don't think he's soft, as much as he's always crying wolf coupled with his being weak on his skates. He's certainly not tough by NHL standards.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006

The Dude jumps on no one, unless they try to steal his White Russian or some primo weed. :nod:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Speaking of one of Ehlers biggest defenders...

What part of "It's almost never his fault in the "Post-Game Talk" threads." did you not understand?

It's always a treat reading your posts, especially the ones where you're pushing the Puljujarvi-stock. Still no buyers after two years, huh?

Apparently you don't read a lot of the PGTs. As one of his biggest fans I'm quite attuned to when Ehlers is getting shit :thumbu:. It just hasn't happened a lot lately because he has consistently been one of the Jets best 5v5 players over the last few years

I remember the dark days though :laugh:.

What does Pulju have to do with Ehlers? If he played like Ehlers he wouldn't be available. Pulju is more like our "great" bottom 6 guys like Lowry and Appleton.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Hey i don't remember jumping on you for anything, i don't tend to do that to anyone but if i did, sorry dude.I think Ehlers does have the odd brain fart out there but overall is way more of help than a hindrance for the Jets.

This. Help vs. hindrance, that's the clearest calculus.

All players have flaws, even McSaviour. Easy to be driven made by the things a player does badly or frustratingly. But yeah, it hinges on the Help Hindrance Thing.

Next time we go bowling, the first White Russian's on me.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Not flipping the switch just yet.

Winnipeg and Dallas need to concede first place to Colorado so we both can avoid Colorado in the first round.
Exactly. When there is 1:30 left in a tied Super Bowl and KC has the ball, you let them run into the end-zone for the touch-down because you ain't getting the ball back if you don't. Sort of the same. Lose with me if you want to go to the second round.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Apparently you don't read a lot of the PGTs. As one of his biggest fans I'm quite attuned to when Ehlers is getting shit :thumbu:. It just hasn't happened a lot lately because he has consistently been one of the Jets best 5v5 players over the last few years

I remember the dark days though :laugh:.

What does Pulju have to do with Ehlers? If he played like Ehlers he wouldn't be available. Pulju is more like our "great" bottom 6 guys like Lowry and Appleton.
I've read almost all of them, for a few years now.

What you just said is disingenuous. The only reason I finally posted here (earlier this season), was that I saw almost no one push back on all things about Ehlers being the cat's meow. The few people who would criticize him - very rare instances - would have to almost quickly be apologetic about doing so; or compromise their "misguided views".

The ratio of people criticizing any single player, vs any any criticism of Ehlers is so lopsided. How many times have you read someone being critical of Kyle Connor's defense (which is fair btw)? And Ehlers defense by comparison? People will very carefully just say the line that Ehlers was on, rather than say his name.

Again, I'm isolating this to PGTs. I only skim through other threads, here and there.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That was nice no look return pass Appleton made to Connor off the hop that created a 2-1 that Connor put off the bar. Ehlers also could have been the opening hero with his sweet setup to Wheeler.

Previous poster is right. Ehlers is exempt from criticism. Last night was an improvement for him, he went to dirtier areas, though he still had a direct line to the goalie for one shot, or a hard net drive, and passed it off, for a turnover, because that was the safest play for him. I don't think Bones will like his transitional turnovers in the 3rd. That whole sequence that resulted in the 1-0 goal didn't lose the game though. It was a potential icing call that got negated and turned into a shitshow that lost the Jets game. They seemed quite content to play for a 1-1 tie in the 3rd up until that point.

Ehlers has never been exempt from criticism. He’s been right behind Wheeler and Scheif in that regards on this board for a long time. The only top 6 forward that is rarely mentioned is Connor. Connor just disappears at times but his mistakes don’t stand out as much. People remember big event plays way more than small event even if one guy is the sole reason a whole line sucks.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Ehlers has never been exempt from criticism. He’s been right behind Wheeler and Scheif in that regards on this board for a long time. The only top 6 forward that is rarely mentioned is Connor. Connor just disappears at times but his mistakes don’t stand out as much. People remember big event plays way more than small event even if one guy is the sole reason a whole line sucks.
This is so untrue.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I want to aim higher. Roslovic never wowed me at all as a Jet. He was like a Harkins+ - all sizzle no steak.

In hindsight we could definitely use him in a 3rd line scoring role but he wanted more opportunity. That being said though, I’m not sure he moves the needle enough considering how unintelligent a player he really is.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad