Post-Game Talk: Islanders 2 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Fully agree. This is the truth. The "where he came from" discussion is (to be nice about it) wholly aside from the main point, its just nit-picking semantics. The main point is that somehow the Jets badly bungled the handling of Mikey Eyssimont - who (in my opinion) for us, was a decent bottom sixer.

Agree. That one made little sense. He was trending well in the A as a consistent disruptor and contributor and might have continued to develop that here.

I don't know why they felt he was expendable -- or AJF -- given the supposed emphasis on team speed, but my guess is that team size outweighed team speed, or the coaching staff saw and still sees something irresistible in the play of the Kuhl Man.

Mikey E wasn't a destiny-altering loss, but he was an interesting piece with some skill to go with the fizz.

See also Johnny K vs Kyle Capo.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
In tonights game not a great effort from our big guns like Scheifele, Connor, and Wheeler. Wheeler pretty much invisible tonight. These guys need to lead and carry the team, and their not right now.
Wheeler pretty much invisible tonight?

Strange, isn't it?, that both TSN and SN showed highlights of Sorokin's freakishly lucky save against.....Wheeler.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The good teams tighten things up as the year goes on. Our offseason strategy to load up on league minimum $ forwards - well let's just say you get what you pay for. Teams know that if you can keep the Jets top two lines mostly in check, there is little to no secondary scoring to worry about.

Thing is, one top 6 fwd is not going to suddenly give us 3 solid lines that can score.
i am getting remnants of the 18-19 season a bit. we have 20 games to correct this, so don't want to slap that label on it just yet. but the down-ward trend is a a bit concerning.

we hit 99 pts that year. this season: on pace for 100. essentially the same.

1677169611998.png

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
we would be having the same problem of no bottom six scoring with or without eyssimont, all of our bottom 6 are interchangeable and it comes down to preference
With respect, the concept of across-the-board interchangeability of bottom 6ers is a highly debatable assumption. In that light, I am suggesting that Eyssimont was *not* the right guy to cast loose.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

I understand a team can ride a solid top 6 and a Hart-worthy goalie for most of the year and be a PO team. Imo in the PO's this lack of depth won't fly though when games get tighter.

These numbers are just staggering. Then consider the low/no goal scoring from appelton, kuhlman, stenlund, or gustafsson. That's half your fwds.

You have to think that it also affects the top 6's scoring rates as teams key in on top players more too and they get more exhausted.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Wheeler pretty much invisible tonight?

Strange, isn't it?, that both TSN and SN showed highlights of Sorokin's freakishly lucky save against.....Wheeler.
Yup and they didn’t even count that as a shot on goal. Speaking of shots on goal I saw the Jets take two shots and they didn’t even count not that it matters I just found it weird. I’m pretty sure if a rewatched the game I could count over 30 shots for the Jets.

Reactions: kanadalainen

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Only 1 goal and guys like Connor and PLD have definitely gone cold and need to produce more, but agree with the sentiment (as we all have forever), that the bottom 6 is useless.

The problem IMO is that while a lot want to replace the entire 3rd line and move Barron-Lowry-Apples to the 4th (which would be nice I admit) is that I don't see the reality of that from a cost to acquire perspective, nor most importantly from a cap perspective. We'll have a little over 9 million at the deadline. Doubtful we can add 3 players at that hit to be an excellent 3rd line. And we certainly can't afford 3 new higher prices pieces with term.

IMO, we can probably add 2 players at around 4 or 5 million a piece, but we'll still a piece or 2 of our current 3rd line to play on the 3rd (Lowry, Apples, or even Wheeler or Perfetti depending on who we add). And that's assuming Perfetti isn't out too long.
This is what the Jets should be doing every year pick up a couple of decent bottom 6 rental players at the TDL using their 3rd, 4th or 5th picks to get them especially when you have that salary cup room.
I not talking about the best players available like Meier or Kane just a decent upgrade bottom 6 that you can get for a 3rd or lower.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is what the Jets should be doing every year pick up a couple of decent bottom 6 rental players at the TDL using their 3rd, 4th or 5th picks to get them especially when you have that salary cup room.
I not talking about the best players available like Meier or Kane just a decent upgrade bottom 6 that you can get for a 3rd or lower.
The names being thrown around today will cost more than a 3rd round pick. Especially if Schmaltz is the target. He is 27 with 3 years of term after this and has been just under a PPG player last couple years. He'd cost a first, or maybe Heinola and a lower pick? But he likely plays in the top 6, at least some of the time.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
It was more about Roslovic, a guy we could surely use in our bottom six right now.
true, but didn't Roslovic want out because he didn't like being in the bottom 6?

The three thing I like about AJF is that he uses his speed to disrupt the opponents zone exits. You can give the opposition a bit of the jitters and cause some turnovers. I like that on 4th line.

Also, we are pining for more scoring from our bottom 6 but our top players need to get scoring again too.

I like the idea of aiming high for adds and pushing players down or out of the lineup
oh me too, I had a little angst waiting for him to clear waivers.

I really like AJF and what he brings, it's just what he brings isn't goals and assists unfortunately. Not sure how anyone can say they want him in the lineup "because he can score".

Reactions: Jet and Inanna

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
You do realize going into tonight that we've won five more games than the team currently in first in our division, right?
And your point is?
i am getting remnants of the 18-19 season a bit. we have 20 games to correct this, so don't want to slap that label on it just yet. but the down-ward trend is a a bit concerning.

we hit 99 pts that year. this season: on pace for 100. essentially the same.

View attachment 655171
This is bad. History is repeating itself. I think until the core changes (i.e.) moving out Wheeler or Scheif or Ehlers it will be more of the same

Re: secondary scoring

The last time a forward out of the "top 6" scored a goal....Jan 22 @ Phil

10 games ago...
I knew it was a while but 10 games is unacceptable since they generally do roll 4 lines and Stenlund and Lowry get PP time .

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Connor needs to shoot the puck more, our only goal was because Ehlers shot the puck.You aren't going to get the pretty goals very often so shoot the puck and look for rebounds .
Yes, like the even better opportunity Saint Nik passed up before he scored his goal.

Remember how all 4 lines played with purpose and the team was 11 games over .500 BEFORE he was seamlessly integrated back into the line-up? Guess it's everyone else's fault again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And your point is?

This is bad. History is repeating itself. I think until the core changes (i.e.) moving out Wheeler or Scheif or Ehlers it will be more of the same

I knew it was a while but 10 games is unacceptable since they generally do roll 4 lines and Stenlund and Lowry get PP time .
A 99 or 100 pt season Is still good. I'm jsut concerned about the downward trend and stumbling into the PO's.

If folks are a beleiver of momentum or peaking at the right time, they need to find some semblance of their first-half play.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I understand a team can ride a solid top 6 and a Hart-worthy goalie for most of the year and be a PO team. Imo in the PO's this lack of depth won't fly though when games get tighter.

These numbers are just staggering. Then consider the low/no goal scoring from appelton, kuhlman, stenlund, or gustafsson. That's half your fwds.

So I took the liberty to go through Jets forward scoring in the past 20 games:

Adam Lowry: 0 goals, 4 assists (2 in last 18)
Karson Kuhlman: 2 goals, 0 assists (18 games played)
Kevin Stenlund: 1 goal, 1 assist (19 games)
Morgan Barron: 2 goals, 2 assists (18 games, just two assists in his last 16 though)
AJF: 2 goals, 3 assists (12 games)
Sam Gagner: 1 goal, 1 assist (11 games)
Mason Appleton: 0 goals, 2 assists (6 games)
Saku Maenalanen: 0 goals, 2 assists (17 games)

Blake Wheeler: 6 goals, 11 assists
Nikolaj Ehlers: 5 goals, 14 assists
Mark Scheifele: 11 goals, 9 assists
PLD: 7 goals, 7 assists (5 goals, 2 assists in his last 17 though)
Kyle Connor: 10 goals, 12 assists
Cole Perfetti: 2 goals, 8 assists (18 games)

Bottom six is just putrid.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
A 99 or 100 pt season Is still good. I'm jsut concerned about the downward trend and stumbling into the PO's.

If folks are a beleiver of momentum or peaking at the right time, they need to find some semblance of their first-half play.

I'm asking because I'm curious and don't know for sure - what were the Jets underlying numbers like in 2019? It seems as though, if we look at this road trip as a microcosm of the season, that the Jets played well enough to win 3 of the 4 games, but were just let down by scoring and poorly timed gaffes. Is this season different than 2019? I don't recall the Jets having great underlying numbers in 2019 during that freefall they had.

Reactions: raideralex99

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm asking because I'm curious and don't know for sure - what were the Jets underlying numbers like in 2019? It seems as though, if we look at this road trip as a microcosm of the season, that the Jets played well enough to win 3 of the 4 games, but were just let down by scoring and poorly timed gaffes. Is this season different than 2019? I don't recall the Jets having great underlying numbers in 2019 during that freefall they had.
Iirc (on mobile right now) they were not good.

Most of the first part of the year when the Jets were doing good was bc of an extremely hot pp with Laine scoring a shit ton of goals. But I remember commentary around that time, notably from Murat, where he was saying yes the Jets are winning but not sure if it's sustainable.

I think our 5v5 shot /chance numbers are a bit better now tho.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure the bottom 6 isn't scoring at all, but the Top 6 hasn't been doing much either and that's the big problem.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So I took the liberty to go through Jets forward scoring in the past 20 games:

Adam Lowry: 0 goals, 4 assists (2 in last 18)
Karson Kuhlman: 2 goals, 0 assists (18 games played)
Kevin Stenlund: 1 goal, 1 assist (19 games)
Morgan Barron: 2 goals, 2 assists (18 games, just two assists in his last 16 though)
AJF: 2 goals, 3 assists (12 games)
Sam Gagner: 1 goal, 1 assist (11 games)
Mason Appleton: 0 goals, 2 assists (6 games)
Saku Maenalanen: 0 goals, 2 assists (17 games)

Blake Wheeler: 6 goals, 11 assists
Nikolaj Ehlers: 5 goals, 14 assists
Mark Scheifele: 11 goals, 9 assists
PLD: 7 goals, 7 assists (5 goals, 2 assists in his last 17 though)
Kyle Connor: 10 goals, 12 assists
Cole Perfetti: 2 goals, 8 assists (18 games)

Bottom six is just putrid.

Of the cluster of bottom six guys, Lowry and Apples are getting paid. Not big $, but not small. They need to do better. The rest are league minimum guys or within spitting distance of league minimum. The off season was announcement after announcement of ~$750k forwards. No big surprise to find ourselves in this spot. I suppose that the upside is that there is some space to make noise at the deadline. But it is a tough call - getting harder to figure out what this team really is. And is it worth giving up assets when it looks like one forward is probably not enough. Unless there is term, probably not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad