Sportsnet: "Islanders’ Mathew Barzal: ‘I’d love to play my career on Long Island’

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
kid blazed onto the NHL scene playing center as a 20-year-old and put up 85 big ones. Playing for a coach that may unshackle him, I suspect those numbers again. He has won NHL hardware and has won multiple playoff series against guys like crosby, mallkin (2X) , The great 8, Backstrom, kutzetnov, Barkov, huberdeau, Giroux, and Couturier to name a few. #13 should get his payday from the NYI considering he publically stated he likes it on Long Island. time will tell where the cookie crumbles I guess
Yes, left out also beat Pastranak, Bergevin and Marchand in the playoffs as well. All this before age 25. Kid is just going to get better and better and entering his prime. Isles could make out like bandits, signing him to a 8ish per year for 8 years

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Do you know our history post Dynasty?

1. We had owners that owned the team solely to prove to the NFL they could run a football team. Once that bid was rejected we were run into the ground

2. The team was then sold to a man with no money. Literally didn't have the money in order to purchase the team but the league vetted him as viable. He served time in prison.

3. Don Maloney was our GM

4. Mike Milbury was our GM

5. Charles Wang was willing to spend a billion of his own money to renovate the Nassau Coliseum. It was squashed by local government. Once his bid failed we were moved to a Basketball arena where the biggest supporter was an SUV that owned one section of the seating at the end boards.

There's just way too many other things to mention but the above gives you a good idea that Isles fans generally don't get too panicky about the franchise. We have a brand new arena and billionaire owners. If we have to trade a player like Barzal it'd suck but most of us will deal with it.

Maybe hit the bottle pretty hard but panic? Nah.
Thanks to the current ownership group of Malkin/Ledekey the Isles are now one owner above 50%… for major owners who have NOT been incarcerated at some point in their lives.

Most fans remember Spano. But there was also Kumar (Wang’s partner) Gluckstern (one of the “Pigs at the Trough” group) and half of the “Gang of Four” with Stephen Walsh and Paul Greenwood.

That’s five previous owners who have served prison time for financial crimes. Leaving six owners who have not… yet. :)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I miss Deidre, one of the original Ice Girls/Shovel Chicks.
The original favorite of quite a few fans. That whole crew was legendary. The second major wave with those twins and Tattoo Lou’s was pretty epic too.

Thanks to the current ownership group of Malkin/Ledekey the Isles are now one owner above 50%… for major owners who have NOT been incarcerated at some point in their lives.

Most fans remember Spano. But there was also Kumar (Wang’s partner) Gluckstern (one of the “Pigs at the Trough” group) and half of the “Gang of Four” with Stephen Walsh and Paul Greenwood.

That’s five previous owners who have served prison time for financial crimes. Leaving six owners who have not… yet. :)
Gluckstern and Milstein, the mall moguls. Weren’t they the ones who wanted to fold the team and build a mall where NVMC is.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
"It's really great to be here in *pause* Long Island with you"

He's going to leave and play in Arizona :)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is there a more jaded group than Islander fans?
They do have good reason though.
Look on the bright side.. the Leafs are saddled with a bloated $11M contract and they still haven't won a cup and many of their fans are regretting ever signing him.
Honestly I don't think Barzal is the guy thats going to bring the cup back to Long Island.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Is there a more jaded group than Islander fans?
They do have good reason though.
Look on the bright side.. the Leafs are saddled with a bloated $11M contract and they still haven't won a cup and many of their fans are regretting ever signing him.
Honestly I don't think Barzal is the guy thats going to bring the cup back to Long Island.
Alone? Probably not. Not everybody can have a McDavid/MacKinnon/Leon/Barkov etc

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Think mike Milbury said the NYI lead the league in owners who did prison time.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So what's the consensus about Barzal as a player ? Just wanna confirm if he's a superstar or overrated before he potentially leaves

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So what's the consensus about Barzal as a player ? Just wanna confirm if he's a superstar or overrated before he potentially leaves

I actually think the answer can be both. A player can both be a star AND be overrated.

A 90 point player is a star. If people talk about that 90 point player as though he's a perennial 120 point player and one of the top 2 players in hockey, he's overrated. Both descriptions can apply to him.

Reactions: AvroArrow

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Tavares said this.
Gaudreau said this.
It's almost better when they say that they want to be paid a boatload of cash.
Didn’t JT Miller also say this? The whole situation is dumb, there aren’t many players who respond to the question of if they want to extend with “no”. Some of them are honest about it and others less so. We’ll reevaluate in a year and if he decides he wants to go to UFA then I hope they trade him.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
translation: "I'm totes signing a 8x11 with the Maple Leafs as soon as I'm a free agent!"

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Didn’t JT Miller also say this? The whole situation is dumb, there aren’t many players who respond to the question of if they want to extend with “no”. Some of them are honest about it and others less so. We’ll reevaluate in a year and if he decides he wants to go to UFA then I hope they trade him.

Has to be "then they have to trade him at the deadline".

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
we went through this with Tavares, and I don’t believe a single word of his agent crafted apology. His uncle played with one team his entire career (the buffalo bandits) and John swore that was his goal. He lied every time he spoke once he met aryne. the day he met her was the day the lies started.

hopefully Barzal is different but if he isn’t signed by the deadline he needs to be traded for all we can get. Go look up jezebel in your dictionary. Next to it you’ll see Dr Aryne Tavares’ picture. The Leafs were cursed with bad Karma the moment Tavares signed there. And they’ll never sniff a Stanley Cup till he’s gone and they deserve it. Funny thing is quite a few leaf fan bloggers are coming to the same conclusions and post that they can’t get rid of him soon enough. Calling him the ultimate LOSER

and Dr Tavares may she continue to infect all her patients with her STD’s since she has publicly has come out complaining about islanders fans creating issues with her medical practice. But as I say she brought all on herself. She even had an account on hfboards where she tried unsuccessfully to say she wasn’t at fault.

No they dont neec to trade him at the deadline. He will be an RFA at the end of the year. Barzal isnt going anywhere step away from the ledge.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
we went through this with Tavares, and I don’t believe a single word of his agent crafted apology. His uncle played with one team his entire career (the buffalo bandits) and John swore that was his goal. He lied every time he spoke once he met aryne. the day he met her was the day the lies started.

hopefully Barzal is different but if he isn’t signed by the deadline he needs to be traded for all we can get. Go look up jezebel in your dictionary. Next to it you’ll see Dr Aryne Tavares’ picture. The Leafs were cursed with bad Karma the moment Tavares signed there. And they’ll never sniff a Stanley Cup till he’s gone and they deserve it. Funny thing is quite a few leaf fan bloggers are coming to the same conclusions and post that they can’t get rid of him soon enough. Calling him the ultimate LOSER

and Dr Tavares may she continue to infect all her patients with her STD’s since she has publicly has come out complaining about islanders fans creating issues with her medical practice. But as I say she brought all on herself. She even had an account on hfboards where she tried unsuccessfully to say she wasn’t at fault.
John Tavares is a loser star. He’s like Kirk Cousins.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Barzal has a lot to prove this year. Right now, he's overrated and barely earning his 7 mil. He's at a crossroads of his career. Are you a franchise center, or not? Can you carry a team? I see PPG potential, don't see him carrying an offense though; he needs skill to potentiate his. Would like to see him with more talent on his wings. Would also like to see him produce more on his own. There are just a lot of question marks with him. Put up another 65 pt season, he doesn't deserve more than 8.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah Miller said he wanted bank.

I understand it's a PR move and such but it almost always ends up burning the fan base.

Players should be able to choose where they play and live but telling the fan base something that might not be true isn't the right way to go about things.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Barzal has a lot to prove this year. Right now, he's overrated and barely earning his 7 mil. He's at a crossroads of his career. Are you a franchise center, or not? Can you carry a team? I see PPG potential, don't see him carrying an offense though; he needs skill to potentiate his. Would like to see him with more talent on his wings. Would also like to see him produce more on his own. There are just a lot of question marks with him. Put up another 65 pt season, he doesn't deserve more than 8.
It's make or break year for his pay day, for sure. If he is going to command 8.5/9 million, he'll have to produce. The cap is going to go up eventually and you don't want to lose a player like Barzal, but you can't just hand out contracts that high while receiving production that doesn't justify it. There's always the losing the player vs being slightly overpaid argument, but you need better production from him to justify it.

Islanders should be different. I think many non-Islanders fans are in agreement with Islanders fans that he offense will be better utilized with more freedom, whether that takes a slight hit on the backend team defense or not, it probably needs to happen.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He kind of reminds me of Duchene in a way. For years he underperformed based on the amount of skill and potential he had, Barzal is a much much smarter player though, I fully expect him to have a great year with him playing for a big contract + away from the suffocating Trotz system.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
“ “I want to stay on Long Island... I haven’t thought about being anywhere except with the Islanders.”
-John Tavares, 2018

Only one way to prove it, Barzal. I wonder if Lamoriello is will botch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad