Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
With all the discussion of our young players and top prospects, I find that Lundy can be a bit lost in the shuffle. Curious to read everyone's thoughts on his season and what you expect from him moving forward.

Does he reach a level where he's strong enough defensively and passable enough offensively to be considered a good 3C? Do you believe there's more potential be unlocked by moving him to the wing to be more of a glue guy beside two offensive players?

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
With all the discussion of our young players and top prospects, I find that Lundy can be a bit lost in the shuffle. Curious to read everyone's thoughts on his season and what you expect from him moving forward.

Does he reach a level where he's strong enough defensively and passable enough offensively to be considered a good 3C? Do you believe there's more potential be unlocked by moving him to the wing to be more of a glue guy beside two offensive players?
I think injuries and a terrible defensive core disrupted his last season, but I'd argue he is already doing the job.

Find me 1 or 2 capable defensive defenseman, and I think you will have a respectable defensive 2 way line.

Reactions: lwvs84

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, there's very little complexity offensively. very much a one-tricky pony on entries, although he will occasionally make a really nice pass. still a useful player in some role.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
If we trade him he will join a long list of players who broke out elsewhere.

Unfortunately we have used his versatility as a crutch and stuck him with mostly scraps in order to cater to other (more offensively oriented) players. Fix his line-mates and deployment and I see a good middle six center.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I have hope because I remember him with Comtois and Rakell a couple years ago. That line was excellent for an extended time until Eakins broke them up. Unfortunately, he’s probably going to be relegated to a checking role on this team.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Does anyone know who he spent most of his TOI with this past season?

I've mentioned before that I like his effort and speed, and I think he's definitely defensively responsible overall. I don't think he has a good shot or fancy moves to get more goals, but I think if he's got good linemates he will put up significantly more points than he did last season (based on games played), due to creating space with his speed and getting grindy goals.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

I've mentioned before that I like his effort and speed, and I think he's definitely defensively responsible overall. I don't think he has a good shot or fancy moves to get more goals, but I think if he's got good linemates he will put up significantly more points than he did last season (based on games played), due to creating space with his speed and getting grindy goals.
Kind of tied to Silf with a hodgepodge of guys on the other wing.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Kind of tied to Silf with a hodgepodge of guys on the other wing.
Yeah I guess that's sort of the problem, though Silf did start producing at the end of the season for some reason.

I feel with a defensively sound center, you can add 2-way or at least one full offensive player to that line and still be pretty good.

One other thing, I don't think I've had the feeling where I thought Lundy was a great playmaker.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Silfverberg and Vatrano were his most common forward linemates:

1683827593368.png

Reactions: Yemeth and Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bob Murray rushed a late 1st round pick.
They say teams don't draft based on need but when he was drafted the Ducks had lost Kesler to surgery and needed a defensive minded center to step in and they did that as Lundestrom played in the NHL after being drafted. He was drafted as being a guy with high floor as a defensive minded C.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I see him as our long term solution for 4C. I wouldnt move him to wing or try and put him with higher end offensive talent. Have him buy-in to the 3/4C role because hes got 2 more centers coming up that will force decisions to be made. Hes a bottom 6 guy, not a middle 6. That said, I think we have seen enough flashes to believe he can improve in time and with the right system.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Bob Murray rushed a late 1st round pick.
They say teams don't draft based on need but when he was drafted the Ducks had lost Kesler to surgery and needed a defensive minded center to step in and they did that as Lundestrom played in the NHL after being drafted. He was drafted as being a guy with high floor as a defensive minded C.

I thought there were more the one injury at center b/c we had both Steel and Lundy up to start the season.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
With a new coach coming in, and a new potential #1C being added (or not until the year after), it will be quite interesting to see how the new coach uses everyone in his new system(s). I think he has the potential to be a good 3rd liner at C or W. But obviously could end up being pushed down depending on the opening night lineup which could include trades or UFA acquisitions.

With his speed and defensive ability could he be a fit on W with Z and Fantilli?

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I see him as our long term solution for 4C. I wouldnt move him to wing or try and put him with higher end offensive talent. Have him buy-in to the 3/4C role because hes got 2 more centers coming up that will force decisions to be made. Hes a bottom 6 guy, not a middle 6. That said, I think we have seen enough flashes to believe he can improve in time and with the right system.
I think Gaucher is more of a prototypical 4C

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I find his defense overrated and think he’s actually going to be fine offensively. Eakins doesn’t know how to handle a player like him. Excited to see him with a real NHL coach

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If thats the case then were not as deep as we need to be at center, even with drafting Fantilli.
Well, I think Lundestrom could actually end up as a decent 3C but he needs to improve and for sure he needs better/consistent linemates. With his skating he is able to push the pace, he just needs some help offensively. His decision-making in the Ozone is not great but not horrible. I think he's a bit better than Gaucher there (altho hard to compare).

For top 6 we could have Zegras, McTavish, (hopefully) Fantilli, and for bottom 6 – Lundestrom, Gaucher, BOG

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wonder if part of the reason for not much offense is having Silf on his line who's slow skating now and having to carry Silf offensively. If they want to develop lundestrom better, give him linemates who aren't an anchor.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad