Is Wayne Gretzky Getting Underrated on This Board?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Well he did play in the no defense era. He did put up some sickening numbers. He was the ultimate floater though. He didnt play defense. Other than offense he really did absolutely nothing else.
What the hell is a “no defense” era?

I mean your floater comment says it all, shows how old you are.

Why did he need to play defense? He was the best offensive player of all time, especially short handed. Lemieux didn’t play defense either, why would they have to? You talk like his offense wasn’t even that great, he is THE best and possibly the most dynamic offensive player of all time.....why else would he need to do more? It won him 10 scoring titles, 9 Hart’s, 5 Pearsons, and 2 Smythes.....not bad for someone who did nothing else.

What a stupid way to discredit someone.

squaleca

Jan 3, 2017
never approach 200 points in todays game i beg to differ that he couldnt avg 2 assists per game over a 80 game stretch considering he scored 153 in

ok knock 50 percent from his production from his highest totals 163 / 2 92 / 2 still puts him at 127 points

wayne is 15th all time in scoring ahead of Bryan Trottier if we take away 50 percent of his points if thats not dominating im not sure what is take Kareem and divide his points by 50 percent he doesnt crack the top 50 in nba scoring

Last edited:

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
never approach 200 points in todays game i beg to differ that he couldnt avg 2 assists per game over a 80 game stretch considering he scored 153 in

ok knock 50 percent from his production from his highest totals 163 / 2 92 / 2 still puts him at 127 points

Exactly, great point. As I have stated in other threads, he would not dominate to the extent that he did in the 80s. I would estimate him scoring 15-30 percent more points than anyone else today. That would put him at 120-130 points a year nowadays (for a 10-12 year period). It might be lowballing him a bit but I think that might be what he would put up.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
What I think is being misrepresented is the fact that people think that Gretzky played against stiffs during his whole career. Gretzky actually played in an era where the NHL had a huge infusion of talent due to the fact that European players were coming over and the WHA was absorbed. The 70s had a much more diluted talent pool than the 80s but the best players still didn’t approach Gretzky’s numbers. He singlehandedly changed the way that the game was played.

Reactions: overg

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I guess he is underrated but thise that didn't see him play during his prime. Same could be said about me with Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe and all other player before.

From what i did witness, 99 and 66 were and still are the best player i ve ever watch.

These were so good and impacted the game with so much dominance.
They are the greater i ve never watch.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Gretzky didn't enter a perfect storm, he created it.

His detractors default to the former as an "explanation" for what they don't understand or, worse, choose not to believe.

Teams re-examined their philosophies because of him. His teams were built around him. He took a merged WHA franchise from the NHL's basement to the top of its mountain, heights that would have never materialized without him.

The sporting world saw that storm brewing many years earlier in Brentford and could do nothing to stop it....and never did.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gretzky didn't enter a perfect storm, he created it.

His detractors default to the former as an "explanation" for what they don't understand or, worse, choose not to believe.

Teams re-examined their philosophies because of him. His teams were built around him. He took a merged WHA franchise from the NHL's basement to the top of its mountain, heights that would have never materialized without him.

The sporting world saw that storm brewing many years earlier in Brentford and could do nothing to stop it....and never did.

And then the year after he left the dynastic HOF-loaded Oilers, the Oilers were so devastated and dependent on Gretzky that they decided to win the Cup again.

Gretzky? Never picked up another ring the rest of his life. Cheated his way past the Leafs only to get rocked in the finals.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
And then the year after he left the dynastic HOF-loaded Oilers, the Oilers were so devastated and dependent on Gretzky that they decided to win the Cup again.

Gretzky? Never picked up another ring the rest of his life. Cheated his way past the Leafs only to get rocked in the finals.

Actually, the season after Gretzky left the dynastic HOF-loaded Oilers, Gretzky's Kings beat them in the playoffs.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Are people just too young to understand how great he was? He scored over 700 more points than any other player in the 1980's. So the argument about it being so easy to score in the 80's does not quite work for me.

More assists than any player ever has total points. How can that not impress you?

No player ever has statistically dominated a sport like Gretzky has,

It's the millennials fault.

Leafs fans would have him third line.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Actually, the season after Gretzky left the dynastic HOF-loaded Oilers, Gretzky's Kings beat them in the playoffs.

Never won the cup though, did he?

Only when on the HOF-loaded Oilers did he win the cup. And lets not even get to the league blatantly protecting him on the ice.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He's universally considered the greatest player ever, how the hell is that underrated?

Yes in the real world that's almost undisputed, the problem is in this forum there is a growing amount of younger fans who keep trying to discredit Gretzky and insist that X player is better. Look at the amount of threads all about downplaying Gretzky's accomplishments.

Reactions: jw2

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Mario was the greater talent, but Gretzky had the better career.

Mario looked like a greater talent but part of what makes Gretzky legendary is that he played at such a high level for so long. Lemieux had the edge in physical tools but Gretzky was on another level mentally. One on one I'd take Lemieux but Gretzky elevated his team mates like no other player ever has.

Reactions: overg

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yup, that's the one. You know, where Mario was MVP and Gretzky was quoted as saying Mario is the best player he's ever seen.

Gretzky is notoriously humble, he says that about a lot of people. He's still better than Mario was even if he wasn't the tournament MVP in a 9 game sample.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Watch a viewing of the 87 Canada Cup When Gretzky was in his Prime and Mario was 21, then get back to me.

You're welcome

I saw Kris Kontos score 9 goals in a 11 playoff games once also...longevity vs excuses; also Mario was a big loser he attacked a referee cause he couldn't handle the game anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad