Is this team soft?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Alzner isn't really a physical presence nor is he intimidating. Don't confuse the good ole Canadian boy reputation with toughness. He's no more physical than a Josh Gorges.

But to answer the question, I'd lean towards yes. Does it matter? Depends, we'll see how exactly Clod has them playing.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Title of thread should be fixed. "Are we too small at forward?"

Our D is definitely big and strong enough especially with Weber handling a bulk of the minutes.

Our top 9 forwards will struggle to win board battles at both ends. Our bigger forwards (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk) don't really play a physical game. The ones that do (Shaw, Gallagher, Byron) may throw hits but can be easily boxed out.

It may turn out to be fine during the season but it won't do in the playoffs if the league keeps calling playoff games the same way they have been.

Last year they wanted Hanzal but passed on paying the outrageous price, missed out on Boyle, opted for King who turned out to be too slow to fit with the top 9.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I think the roster is fine for the regular season, which is more about speed, skill and special teams.

When the playoffs start though, it`s another style of play, few penalties, less time & space, it`s all about winning battles along the boards, in the corners and in front of the net. And of course goaltending but winning the majority of those battles helps him out.

The majority here believed they would beat the Rangers last spring. And the Rangers were a `softish`team themselves, in my opinion.

But Vigneault and their coaches strategy was to lay a beating on the smaller Habs forwards and to me it worked perfectly. The Habs got lots of shots but the Rangers kept the front of the net clear, making Lundqvist`s job pretty easy.

Bergevin has addressed the blueline and made them bigger. With all hands on deck I think they have a decent playoff blueline.

It`s the forwards that still lack size. The toughest among the group also seem to be among the smallest (Shaw, Byron, Gallagher). McCarron establishing himself as a top nine forward would help some for sure.

They may have enough speed skill and finesse up front to have another good regular season but I will be surprised if Bergevin doesn`t try to add some playoff style forwards again at the deadline if the Habs are looking good to make the post season (as he did last deadline).

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The team is no harder to play against than last year. Radulov was probably the hardest forward to play against last year in the playoffs. He's gone. Drouin is in. We will see how he is when the going gets tough. Hemsky has always struck me as a soft player. The defense may be softer in the sense that beaulieu could drop them and lay the odd open ice hit. That's something that streit won't do. Jury is out on jerabek, and schlemko is not exactly known for being a hard player either, or even a soft player for that matter.

The team could stand to get tougher.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The team is no harder to play against than last year. Radulov was probably the hardest forward to play against last year in the playoffs. He's gone. Drouin is in. We will see how he is when the going gets tough. Hemsky has always struck me as a soft player. The defense may be softer in the sense that beaulieu could drop them and lay the odd open ice hit. That's something that streit won't do. Jury is out on jerabek, and schlemko is not exactly known for being a hard player either, or even a soft player for that matter.

The team could stand to get tougher.

If he's at center you won't.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why is that

Habs centers do not usually play a physical nose first game. The play style is just different and pretty much defense first oriented. (With the exception of bottom 6 White & Lapierre afaicr). So forget about having Drouin's strength on the boards and in corners being exploited like Radulov.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Habs centers do not usually play a physical nose first game. The play style is just different and pretty much defense first oriented. (With the exception of bottom 6 White & Lapierre afaicr).

Let's say your theory is true. Even in that case, a player can still be "non-soft" in my mind. It's not just about being physical, it's actually more about getting the puck, and being able to keep it away from opposition. It's about coming up with the puck along board battles. You don't necessarily need to be a crusher to do that.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Let's say your theory is true. Even in that case, a player can still be "non-soft" in my mind. It's not just about being physical, it's actually more about getting the puck, and being able to keep it away from opposition. It's about coming up with the puck along board battles. You don't necessarily need to be a crusher to do that.

I agree, ideally we end up with a Thornton clone, physical, great on feeding, not necessarily intimidating but solid. Drouin is not a center though... I'm not feeling good vibes from the idea of people pressuring him that fast. I think we're getting lost in wishful thinking and it may very well bite us in the rear end.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I agree, ideally we end up with a Thornton clone, physical, great on feeding, not necessarily intimidating but solid. Drouin is not a center though... I'm not feeling good vibes from the idea of people pressuring him that fast. I think we're getting lost in wishful thinking and it may very well bite us in the rear end.

It's a legitimate concern whether drouin can be an effective center especially given that the organization (in my mind) is not in development mode right now. That means patience will not be in large supply.

They have to try it though. They have no choice especially with galchenyuk looking to be slated as a winger.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think hardness is the model of success. Skating is the new model, and teams that have had success, like Chicago, Tampa, Pittsburgh have all outskated and outskilled their opponents, without being overwhelmingly physical. The analytics people tend to believe that physicality is more of a trait of puck pursuit over possession. The California, Pacific style mixes both speed and size, but I think fundamentals win hockey over metrics, good special teams, and structure.

I think having a physical defense limits an opponent's speed, especially through the neutral zone, so the Canadiens should be able to generate speed as a consequence. Markov was badly exposed as being neither fast or sufficiently physical.

I think that there is alot of heart in the forward group, and players like Gallagher and Marchand are the new era of physicality. Steve Ott and Dwight King did not distinguish themselves in spite of being tougher players. With Shaw in the lineup, Mc Carron in the wings, there is some toughness needed when the going gets tough. Generate penalties with good speed and positioning, execute on the PP, use speed as a weapon on the PK, and that wins games, which is the ultimate goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad