Is this team soft?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Lets just say that we are not a team physically hard to play against. Like we don't have many intimidating players except Weber. The rest are either small or soft.

It's not a concern in the regular season but in a 7 games series, all the way to the finals, I personally think it could make a difference.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It lacks skills. Toughness is fine. Weber, Benn, Shaw, Gallagher plays hard, Lehkonen too. Galchenyuk is bigger than ever. McCarron is huge and can drop them. But we still wont win if they can't push the play forward and score goals.

Give me skills before anything else. That defense and centerline deeply lack skills.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
I voted yes, we are too soft to play against. Hopefully some of the new players can bring some toughness. I think it might help the skilled players get more open space.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Supposed they had not replaced Radulov with Hemsky and they had a McCarron projected to be top 6, I believe they would be fine, but now i just don't think they're going to push anyone over.

Soft in the sense that they won't intimidate anybody yes.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
It lacks skills. Toughness is fine. Weber, Benn, Shaw, Gallagher plays hard, Lehkonen too. Galchenyuk is bigger than ever. McCarron is huge and can drop them. But we still wont win if they can't push the play forward and score goals.

Give me skills before anything else. That defense and centerline deeply lack skills.

my thoughts. i've always been about skills > everything. Skilled player can adapt to much more things and its getting even more true with this new gen NHL

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Supposed they had not replaced Radulov with Hemsky and they had a McCarron projected to be top 6, I believe they would be fine, but now i just don't think they're going to push anyone over.

Soft in the sense that they won't intimidate anybody yes.

They will clearly not intimidate anyone out there with their physicality but this is more about them being intimidated or pushed around.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
With Radulov gone, there are no big, physical players in the top 6. Also lacking high end skill outside of Drouin and Galchenyuk. They'll be dominated by physical teams and struggle to score.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
They will clearly not intimidate anyone out there with their physicality but this is more about them being intimidated or pushed around.

It's a bit the same for forwards. If the question was asked for defense then I'd have the opposite answer. For forwards it's either they're pushing the opposition around or they're getting pushed away from the net, etc... I don't believe you can be in the middle here, it's like sharing a bed, someone always ends up with everything ;)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They're not soft. They may have a lot of small sized players, but they don't play soft. They're not afraid to get in the dirty areas and get their faces plastered on the glass. They still battle, and more often come out of it with the puck on their stick. They go to the net, get abused by defenders and go right back in there the next shift. They're not an easy team to play against.

Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, and Shaw are some of the small-ish players on the Habs roster that are not soft. I think we'll find out first hand that Drouin isn't soft, either.

Let's not confuse small with soft.

As for the D, Weber, Alzner, and Benn don't play soft. Alzner is less physical than Emelin, but he isn't soft. I don't know much about Schlemko, but I've seen highlights of him laying the body and diving to block shots. it remains to be seen, but he don't seem to look soft.

And in nets, well we can ask Kyle Palmieri if he thinks #31 is soft.

Last edited:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Not a physically intimidating, that's for sure, perhaps besides defense. But our forwards are not physical at all, Gallagher will take hits, but won't frighten anybody, Shaw will hit everything that moves, but not sure he scares anyone besides occasional cheap shots... besides that, McCarron is huge, yeah, but probably won't be regular this season, Martinsen hits hard and will drop, but probably won't be a regular either...

Well, definitely not intimidating at all, so yeah, pretty soft.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not a physically intimidating, that's for sure, perhaps besides defense. But our forwards are not physical at all, Gallagher will take hits, but won't frighten anybody, Shaw will hit everything that moves, but not sure he scares anyone besides occasional cheap shots... besides that, McCarron is huge, yeah, but probably won't be regular this season, Martinsen hits hard and will drop, but probably won't be a regular either...

Well, definitely not intimidating at all, so yeah, pretty soft.

Not intimidating does not equal soft.

If you watched the rookie tournament, the Leafs prospect Liljegren played soft. Anytime someone got close to him, he would avoid making the play not to get hit. That's soft.

Vanek in 2014, especially playoffs, avoided as much physical contact as possible. That was soft.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
With Radulov gone, there are no big, physical players in the top 6. Also lacking high end skill outside of Drouin and Galchenyuk. They'll be dominated by physical teams and struggle to score.

There are no big physical players, but we are far from being a soft team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's not soff, but our three most intimidating players are Shea Weber, Jordie Benn and.... I don't know, Andrew Shaw.?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's not soff, but our three most intimidating players are Shea Weber, Jordie Benn and.... I don't know, Andrew Shaw.?

And that's fine with me, personally. If you have players that intimidate, it's a plus. BUT, I don't need players that intimidate. I'm happy with a group of guys that will get in there and not be scared. And the Habs, big or small, are not afraid of anyone from Chara to Byfuglien to anyone.

It's not that they don't have some players softer than others. But overall, the team is not soft.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The alone is big and physical. Up front we aren't scary but who is these days. Having McCarron and Shaw alone makes us meaner than most.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Definitely Shaw, Petry has a lot of hits too.

They're not soft. They may have a lot of small sized players, but they don't play soft. They're not afraid to get in the dirty areas and get their faces plastered on the glass. They still battle, and more often come out of it with the puck on their stick. They go to the net, get abused by defenders and go right back in there the next shift. They're not an easy team to play against.

Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, and Shaw are some of the small-ish players on the Habs roster that are not soft. I think we'll find out first hand that Drouin isn't soft, either.

Let's not confuse small with soft.

As for the D, Weber, Alzner, and Benn don't play soft. Alzner is less physical than Emelin, but he isn't soft. I don't know much about Schlemko, but I've seen highlights of him laying the body and diving to block shots. it remains to be seen, but he don't seem to look soft.

And in nets, well we can ask Kyle Palmieri if he thinks #31 is soft.

I agree we are not big but the majority of our players are strong on the puck and don't play soft.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
lets check in with kobe

Yea i think we are soft. But being a tough team is not the only way to win in this nhl.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Forwards are totally soft.
We're good on Defense.

And....
gyyPkb.gif

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think it matters anymore. A soft team won the last two cups. The young players graduating are for the most part skilled players who don't play a very physical game.

We are lacking skills though.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The D is not soft at all...top 6 lacks a bit of jam but gallagher, shaw, big mac, martinsen are all physical

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I don't think it matters anymore. A soft team won the last two cups. The young players graduating are for the most part skilled players who don't play a very physical game.

We are lacking skills though.

and then went out and traded for a goon from St Louis lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad