Is there any chance ovie gets 1000 goals?

Any chance at all

• Yes

Votes: 37 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 120 76.4%

• Total voters

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He'll break Gretzky's record and finish with over 900 goals that same season, but I don't see 1000 happening.

He'll be around 40 by the time he reaches 900, so he'd have to stick around until the age of 43-44 to sniff 1000 goals. Ovechkin mentioned that he wanted to play his final year of pro hockey back in Russia, and I think that's a greater incentive than chasing something that he may not be able to attain at that age.

If COVID and the lockouts never happened, it might not be out of question, which is crazy to think about.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Posted the below in the milestone thread, voted yes.

Like I said it depends how long he’s willing to play here. He’s shown zero sign of slowing down and I don’t see any reason he can’t continue to rack up PP and EN goals into his 40s. He needs 200 more, let’s say he gets 30 more this year. 40 next year, 35 the year after, then 30, 25, 20 and 20 retiring at age 43. Not far fetched at all if he wants it, and frankly those are conservative estimates… But I doubt he’ll want to stay in NA that long to pad the new record. Probably leaves/retires at the end of the season he breaks the record during.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I voted yes, but more out of hope than anything else. It’ll be extremely tough as he continues to age.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
24/25 will be the season he breaks the record, he will be 40 years old. Doubt he even wants to play 3 more years.

Posted the below in the milestone thread, voted yes.

Like I said it depends how long he’s willing to play here. He’s shown zero sign of slowing down and I don’t see any reason he can’t continue to rack up PP and EN goals into his 40s. He needs 200 more, let’s say he gets 30 more this year. 40 next year, 35 the year after, then 30, 25, 20 and 20 retiring at age 43. Not far fetched at all if he wants it, and frankly those are conservative estimates… But I doubt he’ll want to stay in NA that long to pad the new record. Probably leaves/retires at the end of the season he breaks the record during.
He gets 40 this year, and my guess is he gets 40 next year. Then the third - his last, he needs 20 goals to 900, but my bet is 34 goals. Stops at 910ish goals...

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
As already mentioned, if he wants to stick around then yes. But he wants to finish in Russia and has said many times he's not going to stick around just to compile as a 3rd liner. So it'll depend what level he's at at the end of his contract. If he's still ~30 goals he might stick around.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
He retiring from the NHL and heading back to Russia the day after he breaks the record

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You didn't specifically say NHL goals, so the answer is yes. :naughty:

But I agree with others he probably doesn't stick around long enough to reach 1000.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
You didn't specifically say NHL goals, so the answer is yes. :naughty:

But I agree with others he probably doesn't stick around long enough to reach 1000.
Meaning you think he’ll continue to play in KHL after he retires from NHL

Reactions: Fig

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It all depends on how many empty net opportunities Washington can get over the next few years. ;)

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
Is it theoretically possible? Sure. Likely? No. But with Ovechkin you never know. If he were a stock there would be endless short squeeze lol. Never bet against Ovechkin’s stock rising

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know. He doesn't seem to be slowing down all that much, and the NHL in general is opening up, which helps. Ovie could probably score from the top of the circle well into his 40s, if he wants to stick around. All I know for sure is betting on him to decline sharply has made fools out of plenty of people so far.

If he plays 4 years after this one, I don't see how 1000 is out of the question.

Keep in mind, 4 years ago, a small minority of fans were beginning to believe he had a shot at Gretzky. It wasn't always considered realistic, or even plausible.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He joked about literally retiring during the game he breaks the record.

He said like he would score, celebrate, then ditch his equipment on the ice and leave mid game.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Huge Ovi fan, I have been saying Ovi will break Gretzky’s goal record when everyone was saying no chance.

I’ll say he doesn’t hit 1k , as much as it sucks to admit he is slowing down and it’s only going to get worse . He will hit Gretzky mark in 2-3 years knock on wood. He would be a very bad shell of his former self if he chases 1k

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Is there a chance? Yes, if Ovechkin is healthy and decides he wants to play in the NHL as long as he possibly can.
Will that happen? Most probably not, he will get to 900 goals and retire while still not a shadow of his former self.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Gordie Howe scored 177 NHL goals after turning 38. If Ovechkin does the same he'll hit 1000 goals. The key here is when will Ovechkin break Gretzky's record. If he keeps his current pace it will pretty much be 2 years from now. He still has a year and a half left on his contract at that point. Could probably play out his contract with 940+ goals. Hopefully Sergei is big and smart enough at that point to talk Ovechkin into staying for 1000 goals.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted yes even though I'd be shocked if it happened. I don't think he plays that long. But yes, there is a chance.

The most incredible thing about Ovi's career for me may be the following:

~3-4 years ago, on HF when you asked "will Ovechkin top Gretzky" people were like "no way, maybe there's a ~5% chance at most". And here we are, just a few short years later (despite covid shortened season), and I think now over 95% of people are convinced he'll top Gretzky.

He simply does not slow down...he's once again on pace for 50 goals and chasing for the rocket. Pretty incredible

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he could probably do it if he wanted to

difficult to imagine him wanting to badly enough to keep playing into his 40s after already passing Gretzky just for that though

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
he could probably do it if he wanted to

difficult to imagine him wanting to badly enough to keep playing into his 40s after already passing Gretzky just for that though
I'm a believer in that some players like playing hockey.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I think he could get there if he wanted to. But I don’t see that number being important enough to him for the effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad