Is there a competitiveness problem with the World Juniors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You’d like parity but it’s clear there isn’t a balance of power. Although I a team like Switzerland is usually better than their current showing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There's only 4-6 competitive teams every year. The rest is... something something growing the game.

The teams that get shellacked claim that facing and losing to these superteams is good for their development and the IIHF is inclined to agree, so the field stays the size that it is and the round robin is full of mismatches as a result. The good teams don't get anything out of it. The round robin isn't really for them, but for the teams trying to improve from the fringes. Those 10-0 and 11-3 scores aren't exactly peak entertainment, though.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
they usually start out by getting the lopsided matchups out of the way and saving the marquee ones for NYE.

Ya, its been worse than usual, and also Finland is suprisingly weak and Russia isnt there... so, the typical top 5 is a top 3 this time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There should be 6 teams in a top group each tournament.

The 7-12 play in their own pool to fight for promotion.

It's really not okay to have this many imbalanced games and several of the best clubs don't even play each other. Some of the federations need to step out to force the IIHF to change it.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
they usually start out by getting the lopsided matchups out of the way and saving the marquee ones for NYE.

Ya, its been worse than usual, and also Finland is suprisingly weak and Russia isnt there... so, the typical top 5 is a top 3 this time.
You say that as if the Czechs and Slovaks have no shot. Both teams are good this year. The Slovaks could’ve been great with Slaf and Nemec.

Denmark isn’t in this year but I remember them making a splash with Ehlers and Bjorkstrabd. This tournament is a chance for a lot of players to try and make a splash.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The tournament should be even bigger.
In the middle of each bracket you would get a higher quantity of competitive matchups.
At the extreme ends you get 34-0 games.
I want to see Canada shred Somalia. I want to see how Singapore does against Nigeria.
I want it all.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

It's really not okay to have this many imbalanced games and several of the best clubs don't even play each other. Some of the federations need to step out to force the IIHF to change it.
CLEARLY, we have more than 6 decent teams. If we contract, it would be by two. Don't forget we're missing Russia at the moment.

Reactions: NoMessi

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Agreed, 6 team tournament would make things interesting and actually require a fight.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed, 6 team tournament would make things interesting and actually require a fight.

Imagine getting to see Canada, US, Russia, Czechia, Finland, and Sweden all playing each other. It would be an insane pleasure compared to the snooze fest we have to watch every round robin.

I hope TSN is lobbying for it, it's amazing what they have to carry with these Canada v Latvia matchups.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
CLEARLY, we have more than 6 decent teams. If we contract, it would be by two. Don't forget we're missing Russia at the moment.

I don't think we do.

The 7th or 8th best team, even with Russia present, still get smoked.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes. Getting Russia backs improves it. Getting Czechia and Slovakia to their previous levels improves it even more.

We need more than the Big 4.

Reactions: poobags

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Do you have the scores from the precious decade after 2 matches?

From experience I can say the Czechs have taken a lot of bearings in round robin action since 2006. Same with Slovakia.

Both are improved here.

Germany beat Finland.

I feel it's always been this way ... Unxompetive till quarters.. then one crazy upsets and then good semis and finals with minimal upsets really...

Slovaks, Czechs and swiss occasionally get 1 medal. Otherwise it was the big 5 and now big 4 getting all the medals.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Have a group A with the top 5 nations based on the rankings(or can just be previous years results) this year that would be(CAN, FIN, USA, GER, SWE) they all play each other and at the end of the round robin get ranked 1-5 for the quarters. The other 5 teams are in group B. Top 3 teams in group B get spots 6-8 in the QF and the bottom two are off to the relegation. I am not sure they will even make a change to the format, but if they did this is the way to go.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think there are currently nine relevant hockey playing countries:

* Canada
* The U.S
* Russia
* Sweden
* Finland
* Czechia
* Slovakia
* Switzerland
* Germany

We all know of the issues with Russia. The Czechs and Slovaks have experienced a resurgence, which is great. Germany is on the rise, which is also good. The Swiss are in a bit of a lull IMO. It would be great if a 10th country could rise and be competitive year in, year out though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Have a group A with the top 5 nations based on the rankings(or can just be previous years results) this year that would be(CAN, FIN, USA, GER, SWE) they all play each other and at the end of the round robin get ranked 1-5 for the quarters. The other 5 teams are in group B. Top 3 teams in group B get spots 6-8 in the QF and the bottom two are off to the relegation. I am not sure they will even make a change to the format, but if they did this is the way to go.
Agree but base it on previous year... Czechs were silver last year and should be in the A group. Once they get anhilated.. ship them to B.

I don't think it will ever happen because I'm not sure how much ad and ticket revenue group B would get. I'd watch but I'm a weirdo.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese