Is the Zatkoff era nearing an end?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Assuming Murray eventually plays well enough to merit an NHL starting job, what do you do then? I'm imagining that if such a day comes, it'll be 2 to 3 seasons from now. Would you then trade Fleury? What do you do with Jarry in the meantime - let him hold the fort in Wilkes-Barre, or trade him too?

I guess the answers to these questions depend largely on how competitive the Pens are in the next few seasons. It's still quite odd to think about a post-Fleury era. For all his warts, he's been a mainstay on the team for as long as I've been watching them and it will be odd to see him go if he is eventually dealt.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I would say the majority of us would like to see Fleury hang around due to nostalgia. However, Fleury's 5 million off of the cap would go a long way in adding to the blue line.

Honestly, if they feel that Murray is a true number one, they should deal Fleury this off-season. That's a huge, franchise defining "if" though.

Think of a world with Fleury, Kunitz and Cole off of the cap. What is that 11 million?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Assuming Murray eventually plays well enough to merit an NHL starting job, what do you do then? I'm imagining that if such a day comes, it'll be 2 to 3 seasons from now. Would you then trade Fleury? What do you do with Jarry in the meantime - let him hold the fort in Wilkes-Barre, or trade him too?

Keep Jarry for insurance/depth unless a great deal comes along.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Murray didn't dress tonight because of illness.

But yeah, I imagine we'll see him do the yo-yo act for the rest of the regular season. Start in Pittsburgh during all of the back-to-backs down the stretch but still get regular work in for WBS.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
It's a shame we couldn't deal Zatkoff to Calgary or St. Louis for a 6th or 7th. Sadly he has no value right now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens can't deal him to the Flames or Blues, but they'd probably claim him because of his low cap hit and the fact that he has some NHL experience.

I'd rather just waive the guy, let Murray get some games since MAF has been shaky somewhat, since the AS Break.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Imagine being Murray and instead of just making the team and an NHL paycheck, you have drive back and forth across the state of Pennsylvania and make less money until Fleury needs a break. Put Murray with the big boys and play Fleury a little less down the stretch. I've always been of the opinion that Fleury does better with a less grueling scheduled and a competent backup.

Agreed. I would rather have Murray practicing with the big club anyways. Also having him yo-yo would be a giant hassle when WBS or the big club are on road trips. Furthermore it would really suck if Murray were to get injured in a WBS game. The 7 to 10 extra starts for Murray isn't worth all that effort.

You don't want MAF to be scratched from any games at the last minute and be forced to play Zatkoff. A lesson the Pens should have already learned......

If you want Murray to get extra games I think it makes more sense to have him up with the big club permanently but send him down to start a WBS game here and there if the schedule permits.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Murray was only called up if Fleury wasn't ready to go and they had to scratch Zatkoff because he played the night before.

I get the feeling this team keeps Zats around for the rest of the year, sadly.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Murray was only called up if Fleury wasn't ready to go and they had to scratch Zatkoff because he played the night before.

I get the feeling this team keeps Zats around for the rest of the year, sadly.

JR said Murray will be back up after the deadline.
Dunno if he meant permanantly or up and down for the rest of the way.
Probably depends on what the cap space looks like after Monday.
If they can afford to keep 3G's, Murray will be up and down to keep him busy.
But it sounds like they prefer he backup MAF/play on back to backs.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I don't think the organization ever saw Zatkoff as more than a cheap stopgap. He did an alright job at that. It's not his fault the Pens had an awful first 30 games so they now need points from those back-to-backs. Now Murray has developed better and faster than anyone expected. It's not a big deal though. Murray will play some b2b down the stretch, and then go back down for the WBS playoff run while Zatkoff warms the bench in our playoffs games.

Next season Zatkoff is gone and Murray will be Fleury's understudy, with Jarry taking over as WBS starter and probably Maguire as his backup. With goalies being so unpredictable I don't think it makes right now sense to plan much further ahead.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Murray has also passed MAF in my book too. The kid is legit and we need to move on from MAF. It is not a popular opinion, but one that is best for the team. The kid is HUGE in net, and is able to cover the top corners well.

If you saw MAF and Murray play in a vacuum, you would swear that MAF is the rookie and Murray is the 9 year veteran based on their positioning, poise, rebound control, etc. Murray was a huge surprise to all. It is however, not a surprise, that he has passed Zatkoff.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Murray has also passed MAF in my book too. The kid is legit and we need to move on from MAF. It is not a popular opinion, but one that is best for the team. The kid is HUGE in net, and is able to cover the top corners well.

If you saw MAF and Murray play in a vacuum, you would swear that MAF is the rookie and Murray is the 9 year veteran based on their positioning, poise, rebound control, etc. Murray was a huge surprise to all. It is however, not a surprise, that he has passed Zatkoff.

Not only is that not true, but what GM in their right minds is going to trust such a young goalie over a top ten goalie in the NHL (in his prime mind you)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Thats a bold statement.
It may end up being true but i wouldn't say that right now.
Let's just let the kid continue to develop and have a MAF/Murray combo for a bit.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

10 years of sustained above average play (excluding some playoffs) and people STILL hate the guy, dammit...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

:laugh: This is why you can't be taken seriously.

Goalie development is unpredictable. The smart move is to develop Murray slowly at the NHL. Fleury is at least an above average starter the past 2 years, likely 10 ten. Prior to that, he was inconsistent and had some pretty poor playoff runs after the Cup, but under Bales he has become much more consistent. There is no need to move him and plug your rookie in as starter. I can't think of many examples of that, let alone ones that turn out well.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Some people really underestimate Fleury's value to this team. Without him we would had been battling with Toronto for Matthews.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??

This is ridiculous.Murray looks like the real deal no question, but with a couple of NHL games under his belt he's got a long way to go to pass Fleury.

He should be the back up now, shoot Zack off and his Era to the moon and give Murray more starts than zatkoff had. Not only help Murray develop, give the pens a chance to win more games and prevent Fleury from wearing down.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Ive been reading lately about how Murray has officially passed Jeff Zatkoff on the depth chart and that his days as backup could be numbered. So do you think this is legit?

If so- I think it's a great move. zatkoff seemed like a nice guy and could give a great interview, but I just don't think he has what it takes to be an NHL goaltender just yet

Murray past Zatkoff when they both played in WBS. Murray had one of the best seasons in AHL history and maybe they best. Murray has backed it up with another top end year this year and also looked very good in his 3 NHL performances. I think Murray should of stayed after those 3 starts and played a third of the games from that point on as long as he kept performing well. I really believe he should play 30 games next season and if he performs at an equal level of Fleury which I believe he will then Fleury should be traded. The trade brings in a good asset and also cap money for that asset. All this is based on Murray keeping up his good play but Murray can't have done much better than his past 2 years. Great to see Jarry playing this well this year and hope he can back it up again next year like Murray did.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Some people really underestimate Fleury's value to this team. Without him we would had been battling with Toronto for Matthews.

So you're saying he ruined everything.

Let's sign Brian Foster and bring him up, there's still time to lose every game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad