Is the Zatkoff era nearing an end?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Ive been reading lately about how Murray has officially passed Jeff Zatkoff on the depth chart and that his days as backup could be numbered. So do you think this is legit?

If so- I think it's a great move. zatkoff seemed like a nice guy and could give a great interview, but I just don't think he has what it takes to be an NHL goaltender just yet

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Welp... definitely not thread worthy. :laugh: He should be held as the back up and Murray should get the call up when he can to actually back the team up.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think the Pens will try to trade him, and then waive him after the deadline if they can't find a taker. I doubt anyone will want him so he'll probably end up clearing waivers and finishing his contract in Wilkes-Barre.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Zatkoff wouldn't improve anyone down the stretch and he's a UFA come July 1, he has zero trade value.

I have little to no doubt that he'd clear waivers any other time of the year...but Zatkoff would certainly add value to a team's tank. I could see a Toronto-type team claiming him just to throw out there as a sacrificial lamb 4-5 times down the stretch.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Zatkoof I'm sure is a nice guy and teammate, but it's definitely time to move on. Have Murray up here and give Jarry the starting job and experience as the go to guy in WBS

I don't think Zatkoff is worth anything ( in a trade ) maybe a throw in if a team really wants of lacks goalies in their system

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Zatkoff was never good. It's been a no-brainer for a while that Murray would be a better back-up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I can see the value of keeping Murray down where he's getting games. I can also see the value of Murray facing NHL shooters every day of his life in practice and when he gets into a game. No reason to play Fleury 70 games a season if Murray proves to be a minimal downgrade.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I can see the value of keeping Murray down where he's getting games. I can also see the value of Murray facing NHL shooters every day of his life in practice and when he gets into a game. No reason to play Fleury 70 games a season if Murray proves to be a minimal downgrade.

If they want to play Murray, then Murray needs to be on the team. It's absolutely ridiculous to call him up and down. Send Zatcoff back the the AHL, where he belongs, and be done with it. But I'm not even sure if they know what they want to do yet. Seems easy enough to us.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Brent Johnson broke DiPietro's knee by punching him in the face. Brent was a certified bad ass.

But of course Rick broke a lot of bones just getting out of bed, so take that as you will.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Next season: Murray and Jarry are rotated back and forth between WB/S and Pitt as the backup, with each getting maybe 10 games a piece with the big club. While one is up, the other logs the majority of the games with WB/S. Whoever the WB/S backup is will never play except in relief.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
If they want to play Murray, then Murray needs to be on the team. It's absolutely ridiculous to call him up and down. Send Zatcoff back the the AHL, where he belongs, and be done with it. But I'm not even sure if they know what they want to do yet. Seems easy enough to us.

Why is that? Isn't it smart to still give him regular starts in WBS and call him up for the few games MAF will take off?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Next season: Murray and Jarry are rotated back and forth between WB/S and Pitt as the backup, with each getting maybe 10 games a piece with the big club. While one is up, the other logs the majority of the games with WB/S. Whoever the WB/S backup is will never play except in relief.

Interesting proposition, lots of traveling up & down but otherwise a sound idea although i'd start playing Murray more. Competition between him & Jarry to make the big team can only be good for their development.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Why is that? Isn't it smart to still give him regular starts in WBS and call him up for the few games MAF will take off?

Imagine being Murray and instead of just making the team and an NHL paycheck, you have drive back and forth across the state of Pennsylvania and make less money until Fleury needs a break. Put Murray with the big boys and play Fleury a little less down the stretch. I've always been of the opinion that Fleury does better with a less grueling scheduled and a competent backup.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Calling it the "Zatkoff era" is comical, the guy was never NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad