Is the "tear down" complete?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This summer we will begin putting the building blocks together. We have Michalek and Laich as next years "rentals".

James van Reimsdyk - Steven Stamkos - Leo Komarov
Kasperi Kapanen - William Nylander - Milan Michalek
Joffery Lupul - Tyler Bozak - Mitch Marner
Brooks Laich - Zach Hyman - Nikita Soshnikov
Byron Froese

Morgan Rielly - [Enter D Here]
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev
Scott Harrington - Frank Corrado
Matt Hunwick - Connor Carrick

Acquired Goalie
Garrett Sparks

- This doesn't include our 2016 1st rounder (Matthews pls)
- Ideally we deal Lupul and Bozak as well.
- I think Kadri is gone for a D.
- Bernier will be gone and we will find a new replacement

thats a last place lineup

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The Shanaplan should be to be 30th for at least two more years.

Marner, Nylander, and 2016 1st will not be ready to make an impact on the big club in 16-17. I mean 2 out of 3 will likely make the team, but they wont be top tier players right out the gate. Few young guys are. You just want those guys to get used to the NHL next year. Maybe you could argue 17-18 is where we try to take a step forward. But next year is too soon IMO. We would be missing out on more beef in the system.

Every year a team tries to take steps forward...

Either it works, and they're successful, or it doesn't, and they try again.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Some youngsters are definitely ready for full-time promotions. Nylander will be a Leaf full-time. Leivo + Carrick will both require waivers which will ensure them NHL spots. Marner has absolutely nothing more to learn in junior.

There will be far more youth in the lineup at the start of next year then there was this season.

There will also be a lot of growing pains with the youth but it's part of the process.

There will still be short-term vets throughout the lineup but just not as much as the start of this year. Injury call ups will also probably start going to guys like Brown, Leipsic, Hyman, Soshnikov over guys like Clune or Arcobello.

Anyways, I agree the tear down isn't complete but the pace of the tear down has slowed down.

This.

In terms of tearing down, I'm sure the Leafs would like to rid themselves of Lupul (replace with Parenteau?) and Bernier (replace with somebody?), but neither of these guys are ones that have long term concerns at this point.

So are they done with the tear down? Mostly... but like somebody else mentioned, the phases are not distinct. The major structual pieces have been torn down (Kessel, Phaneuf), although there are a couple of stragglers. Those stragglers will be used to compliment the young guys they do have ready to play.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The teardown is not completed. It will slowdown.

2017 trade possibilities - Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Brooks, Michalek, Hunick, Bernier, and whatever one year RFA's they sign

2018 trade possibilties - Lupul, Bozak, JVR all again if they are still hear, plus other RFA's they sign

I would say that they teardown is complete.

JVR is NOT on the tear down list.

Lupul is a buyout candidate.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Mop up job from here on out. Lupul will probably be buried somehow one way or another. Bernier isn't really all that much of a factor anyway. He'll probably slip away at some point. Bozak no longer seems anchored to that past group. Not an essential player, but not someone we need to rush to get rid of either. JVR, Gardiner and Kadri are keepers going forward in my book, unless an absolutely insane offer demands otherwise. I would say, the odd quibble aside, we are about done with Stage One.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bozak needs to go
Sure, for the right deal. But it's churlish to tar him with the same brush with Kessel and Phaneuf and the other guys. He has proven himself a decent #2 centre this year, and they don't grow on trees.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
The Shanaplan should be to be 30th for at least two more years.

Marner, Nylander, and 2016 1st will not be ready to make an impact on the big club in 16-17. I mean 2 out of 3 will likely make the team, but they wont be top tier players right out the gate. Few young guys are. You just want those guys to get used to the NHL next year. Maybe you could argue 17-18 is where we try to take a step forward. But next year is too soon IMO. We would be missing out on more beef in the system.

This ^^^

Chicago took 8 years to rebuild before contending. LA was similar. We do not have enough young studs. Reilly, Marner, Nylander, 2016 1st might end up being core studs OR it is also possible that a couple of them turn out to be underachieving players. We need more kicks at the can before ramping up.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
^^^^ I second that. I wasn't completely convinced but now I am. We don't have enough talent to make a run for Lord Stanley. We need our own McDavid.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This ^^^

Chicago took 8 years to rebuild before contending. LA was similar. We do not have enough young studs. Reilly, Marner, Nylander, 2016 1st might end up being core studs OR it is also possible that a couple of them turn out to be underachieving players. We need more kicks at the can before ramping up.

^^^^ I second that. I wasn't completely convinced but now I am. We don't have enough talent to make a run for Lord Stanley. We need our own McDavid.

I don't think there's any need to put a set amount of time on the "Tank"

I think this is by far the worst year, not in terms of standings but in terms of lack of talent on the roster. From next season on, the management team should be trying to win. This doesn't mean signing vets to boost us up the standings, but trying now to add to the core of the team going forward.

With the amount of inexperience we're going to have, naturally we'll be in the lottery discussion for one if not 2 more years. And again at the deadline, we'll should sell off expiring assets like the rest of the leagues non-contenders.

I'd agree though that we're probably at least 2 years away from starting to make "short term" moves, like signing older FA's to multi year contracts, or potentially trading away a draft pick or two.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We need a stud C and top flight D if we want to be a great team.
We can still be a good team without (making the playoffs) but we will probably be stuck in the friends zone like St. Louis/Minnesota always losing to the teams that have that.
We had some chances with Sundin/Gilmour but just lacked extra support around that. That will be Hunter's job.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I don't think there's any need to put a set amount of time on the "Tank"

I think this is by far the worst year, not in terms of standings but in terms of lack of talent on the roster. From next season on, the management team should be trying to win. This doesn't mean signing vets to boost us up the standings, but trying now to add to the core of the team going forward.

With the amount of inexperience we're going to have, naturally we'll be in the lottery discussion for one if not 2 more years. And again at the deadline, we'll should sell off expiring assets like the rest of the leagues non-contenders.

I'd agree though that we're probably at least 2 years away from starting to make "short term" moves, like signing older FA's to multi year contracts, or potentially trading away a draft pick or two.

I agree with you, and I hope management does. We are still in that place where haste can make the suffering for naught.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Look at Buffalo and the moves they've made. They aren't even a playoff team despite a major roster improvement overall.

The Leafs will not improve dramatically from this season to the next. What you want to see is improvements and development. That's what rebuilding is.

We're at the mercy, so to speak, at the young players short-term development if the Leafs are to show improvement by a certain amount.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We need a stud C and top flight D if we want to be a great team.
We can still be a good team without (making the playoffs) but we will probably be stuck in the friends zone like St. Louis/Minnesota always losing to the teams that have that.
We had some chances with Sundin/Gilmour but just lacked extra support around that. That will be Hunter's job.

I believe in the "building up the middle" concept.

If Stammer makes it to UFA , well there is a chance right there.

Same goes for the lotto and AM.

Do we end up with both or one? Well the odds are against us on either, BUT we still have odds and they are not in the 1/1000 range either.

Close enough to dream a little.

What about Wlli,kads,boz? , well lets worry about that after the lotto/ufa season.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Every year a team tries to take steps forward...

Either it works, and they're successful, or it doesn't, and they try again.

The step forward is giving young guys a taste of the NHL but still finishing last to improve the future

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Look at Buffalo and the moves they've made. They aren't even a playoff team despite a major roster improvement overall.

The Leafs will not improve dramatically from this season to the next. What you want to see is improvements and development. That's what rebuilding is.

We're at the mercy, so to speak, at the young players short-term development if the Leafs are to improvement by a certain amount.

Dont get me wrong, I'm hoping to be in the basement for at least two more years

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

We're still rebuilding but doesn't mean we have to tear down. Yes it's a last place team..or near a last place team. It's about getting our kids some experience and coaching them up. What else is there to tear down? A few guys still need to go but for the most part next year's team will have nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Matthews/Laine etc ..growing pains are expected and losses but it's all up from here

I full expect another top 5 pick next year

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

We're at the mercy, so to speak, at the young players short-term development if the Leafs are to improvement by a certain amount.

The thing about Buffalo is that they started sssoooooo much further back than we did. Even after their off season acquisitions they're barely ahead of us now, I'd argue at the same level.

mobizziness

Aug 9, 2015
Toronto
I love how this board legit thinks it's NHL 16 whether it's acting like they are pro scouts or thinking that the leafs are going to literally remove every player over the age of 28 for assets and use only kids.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The step forward is giving young guys a taste of the NHL but still finishing last to improve the future

And develop a losing mentality?

I understand wanting to finish last this year when the entire team minus Rielly is full of stop gaps.

But once we have Marner, Nylander et al on the Leafs, they will become better players if the Leafs surround them with decent veterans and try and go for the playoffs. The new NHL of 2016 isn't made for tanking.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Assuming no more players with term are moved out (other than Lupul) the fate of next years team lies on the rookies. On offence if two-three guys are ready to be legitimate top 6/9 guys we have the pieces in place to have a 2008-10 St.Louis style playoff worthy offence (low seed) based on depth in the top 9, but that defense is a huuuge question mark.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
And develop a losing mentality?

I understand wanting to finish last this year when the entire team minus Rielly is full of stop gaps.

But once we have Marner, Nylander et al on the Leafs, they will become better players if the Leafs surround them with decent veterans and try and go for the playoffs. The new NHL of 2016 isn't made for tanking.

Acquiring elite talent at the top of the draft is the stage we're at. We can try to win but this team in my opinion is going to be drafting in the top 5 for at least the next two years.

What choice do we have anyways?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad