Is the "tear down" complete?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Acquiring elite talent at the top of the draft is the stage we're at. We can try to win but this team in my opinion is going to be drafting in the top 5 for at least the next two years.

What choice do we have anyways?

I have no problem if we end up drafting in the top 5. When it gets to that point, I'll be very happy with a top 5 pick.

I just don't think we should be aiming to finish last. And I want to see a winning mentality all year next year.

I don't think it's worth doing otherwise, when you have a 20% shot at 1st overall, and a 50% shot at a 4th overall pick. Five years ago, it was worth tanking when last place meant a 50% shot at 1st overall, and a 50% shot at 2nd overall. Most years won't get you a superstar if you don't draft in the top 2.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Once Bozak is traded this off season then you can say that the tear down is complete

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Once Bozak is traded this off season then you can say that the tear down is complete

I've been a Bozak detractor the last several years but he's changed my mind. I thought he was a product of Kessel offensively and would drop off to a 10G 20A player but he still capable of providing a bit of offence, excellent at the dot and is better defensively than any other Maple Leaf center. Bozak's Points Per 60 is 2.26, Naz's is 1.89 .. they both play roughly the same minutes on the PP.

I'd say the sell-off is complete but the Leafs will shop Bernier and not Bozak but Kadri to add a top-4 defenceman.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The step forward is giving young guys a taste of the NHL but still finishing last to improve the future

The step forward is getting youthful talent to try and win substantially more games than we did this year.

If they don't, they'll get another shot at it the year after.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think the short, simple, dumb answer is the tear down is complete when the building back up begins - when they start making moves for more established players and free agents with term.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why is everyone so insistent on trading Bozak? His contract is reasonable. He's a fine player. I honestly don't see how it hurts keeping him around.

Simple - because in this stage of the team's plan, the pick(s) / prospect(s) / cap space you get from trading Bozak are far more valuable than having Bozak here.

It doesn't hurt to keep him, but considering the plan is to try and accumulate as many picks / prospects here as possible, it doesn't hurt to move him either - certainly helps.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Why is everyone so insistent on trading Bozak? His contract is reasonable. He's a fine player. I honestly don't see how it hurts keeping him around.

to be honest, you can probably find 15-20 players who play as good or better than Bozak at a cheaper price and who are probably younger or around the same age. Bozak isn't anything special and if we're going in the direction we're going why not give his role to a kid.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Simple - because in this stage of the team's plan, the pick(s) / prospect(s) / cap space you get from trading Bozak are far more valuable than having Bozak here.

It doesn't hurt to keep him, but considering the plan is to try and accumulate as many picks / prospects here as possible, it doesn't hurt to move him either - certainly helps.

We still have to ice a pro team.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Agreed with posts 233 and 234.

Our best players in the last few games have been out rookies, hands down. I haven't seen such raw young talent on our team in my whole life. Their speed, explosiveness, and drive are causing me to slowly forget the dark ages where the Leafs played with no heart, were slow, and didn't seem to care for winning.

Trading Bozak would also help contribute to acquiring Stamkos or another elite veteran hopefully a #1C or a 1D like Drew Doughty.

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

Our best players in the last few games have been out rookies, hands down. I haven't seen such raw young talent on our team in my whole life. Their speed, explosiveness, and drive are causing me to slowly forget the dark ages where the Leafs played with no heart, were slow, and didn't seem to care for winning.

Trading Bozak would also help contribute to acquiring Stamkos or another elite veteran hopefully a #1C or a 1D like Drew Doughty.

yup. If they get one of matthews/stamkos, bozak's probably your 4C, assuming nylander is a lock. He's useless at that salary on this team and getting a decent return for him is better than playing him 12 minutes a gam.e

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Plus to me, he was one of the quitters last year - threw in the towel

-34 last year
That's special

Just another mediocre player overall

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

-34 last year
That's special

toss on top of that

Boz brings zero push back out there.

He is as soft as warm butter.

3rd/4th line C on a real cup contender , one that should be making 2.5m cap on a team like that.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

-34 last year
That's special

I don't think you can view him, in isolation, as the only quitter from that mess, but yeah - you won't find me putting up an argument against you.

I've never really been a fan of the hockey player, and will be hugely relieved when he's no longer playing for my favorite hockey team.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
2016 Draft Day will see the Leafs deal more of their current roster & aquire more 2nds & hopefully another 1st :yo:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
2016 Draft Day will see the Leafs deal more of their current roster & aquire more 2nds & hopefully another 1st :yo:

With the cap uncertainty, 1st round picks are gold dust currently - they won't be moved, unless it's a trade down scenario.

No 1st round pick was moved in the deadline deals this year too, and I'm not sure the Leafs have any more assets left to trade that could get them another 1st.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
to be honest, you can probably find 15-20 players who play as good or better than Bozak at a cheaper price and who are probably younger or around the same age. Bozak isn't anything special and if we're going in the direction we're going why not give his role to a kid.

I challenge you to find one that is available to us. Assume our centres next year are Kadri & Nylander... I'd love to hear your suggestion of a better guy to put in that group than Tyler Bozak.

How on earth do you figure this? Talk about putting cart before the horse. Tyler Bozak is the least of our concerns if we can actually come to terms with Steven Stamkos.

yup. If they get one of matthews/stamkos, bozak's probably your 4C, assuming nylander is a lock. He's useless at that salary on this team and getting a decent return for him is better than playing him 12 minutes a gam.e

Sure, and if they get Stamkos (unlikely), then you can look at moving one of Kadri or Bozak before their value plummets. Until that happens, it's cart before the horse.

The Leafs aren't going to have 2 rookies playing centre next year though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If management becomes convinced that Nylander can play in the top six, Thy can fill out the 3rd and 4th lines via prospect graduation and free agency.

To move out Bozak this off season isn't to improve the team immediately, it's to capitalize on an asset who isn't likely in the team's long term plans and is likely at the highest value they will ever be.

We will just have to wait and see what management does - it can go either way.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If management becomes convinced that Nylander can play in the top six, Thy can fill out the 3rd and 4th lines via prospect graduation and free agency.

To move out Bozak this off season isn't to improve the team immediately, it's to capitalize on an asset who isn't likely in the team's long term plans and is likely at the highest value they will ever be.

We will just have to wait and see what management does - it can go either way.

Brian Burke and the whole strict top 6 / bottom 6 thing are really of the past.

If the Leafs think that Nylander is capable of playing centre next year, they're going to find the 2 best other possible centres they have to insulate him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Brian Burke and the whole strict top 6 / bottom 6 thing are really of the past.

If the Leafs think that Nylander is capable of playing centre next year, they're going to find the 2 best other possible centres they have to insulate him.

I'd also agree that the top six bottom six is a thing of the past, but this management also seems dead set on capitalizing on assets who aren't in their long term plans.

Moving out Dion created a pretty substantial hole in the short term for the Leafs defense but that didn't stop management for a second when trading him.

Bozak will stay if the Leafs will be pushing hard for the playoffs next season - if they still see it as a "rebuilding year" I expect him to be shipped out.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We have some good prospects to play top 6 forward positions, my real concern is in the net and the D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad