Is the "tear down" complete?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Brian Burke and the whole strict top 6 / bottom 6 thing are really of the past.

If the Leafs think that Nylander is capable of playing centre next year, they're going to find the 2 best other possible centres they have to insulate him.

Once Nylander acclimatizes to the NHL, he'll be better than Bozak. Keeping Bozak around won't insulate Nylander at all.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'd also agree that the top six bottom six is a thing of the past, but this management also seems dead set on capitalizing on assets who aren't in their long term plans.

Moving out Dion created a pretty substantial hole in the short term for the Leafs defense but that didn't stop management for a second when trading him.

Bozak will stay if the Leafs will be pushing hard for the playoffs next season - if they still see it as a "rebuilding year" I expect him to be shipped out.

Nothing of their actions has really indicated that. Their actions have spoken to the fact that they're dead set on moving guys out who have a long term risk to them (Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson).... there's no such concern with Bozak.

The biggest part of rebuilding, is building, and that requires a strong supporting cast around those young guys.

Plus, for all we know, Bozak, like JvR, Gardiner, Kadri, may be in the long term plan...obviously in his case not in his previous role as #1c, but he's a fine fit as a #3 guy.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Once Nylander acclimatizes to the NHL, he'll be better than Bozak. Keeping Bozak around won't insulate Nylander at all.

Sure, after a couple of years that might be the case.

We're talking about the immediate though. Plus, nobody plays 60 minutes a night 82 games a year.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I very much mean the immediate. As in, by the midpoint of the 2016-2017 season.

That's asking a LOT of a rookie... doesn't matter who his father is or where he was drafted. Asking him just to be better offensively than Bozak would be a lot, implying that he'd be better in a checking role too? That's just totally unrealistic.

Heck, even if he does become better than Bozak, you need guys to play the other 40 minutes per night.

Talk about hfboards hyping of young players...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nothing of their actions has really indicated that. Their actions have spoken to the fact that they're dead set on moving guys out who have a long term risk to them (Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson).... there's no such concern with Bozak.

The biggest part of rebuilding, is building, and that requires a strong supporting cast around those young guys.

Plus, for all we know, Bozak, like JvR, Gardiner, Kadri, may be in the long term plan...obviously in his case not in his previous role as #1c, but he's a fine fit as a #3 guy.

They spent the last two trade deadlines flipping guys for picks who weren't in their long term plans.

Perhaps Bozak is in those longer plans for the team - bt given his already sheltered usage this season I doubt it. But it's not just his skill set it's also his older age - I think Gardiner and Kadri a higher chance of sticking around longer because of their age.

Right now he's in the lineup because management and coaching view him as useful. Now that Nylander is cementing a position in the lineup those views may have changed.

We shall see what happens this offseason.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
They spent the last two trade deadlines flipping guys for picks who weren't in their long term plans.

Perhaps Bozak is in those longer plans for the team - bt given his already sheltered usage this season I doubt it. But it's not just his skill set it's also his older age - I think Gardiner and Kadri a higher chance of sticking around longer because of their age.

Right now he's in the lineup because management and coaching view him as useful. Now that Nylander is cementing a position in the lineup those views may have changed.

They spent the last 2 deadlines flipping players that weren't in their immediate plans, and felt were easily replacable. If Bozak was easily replacable, then he wouldn't have any value in the offseason anyways.

Nothing about Bozak's usage has been sheltered... furthermore, while the fact that Nylander is working his way into the lineup (he's far from cemented himself) may push Bozak down and reduce the offensive-oriented minutes plays, there's a ton of reasonably useless Holland minutes that Bozak can improve upon..in addition to the important situations that Bozak already plays that Nylander wouldn't take on.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They spent the last 2 deadlines flipping players that weren't in their immediate plans, and felt were easily replacable. If Bozak was easily replacable, then he wouldn't have any value in the offseason anyways.

Nothing about Bozak's usage has been sheltered... furthermore, while the fact that Nylander is working his way into the lineup (he's far from cemented himself) may push Bozak down and reduce the offensive-oriented minutes plays, there's a ton of reasonably useless Holland minutes that Bozak can improve upon.

Kadri has primarily been given defensive zone starts - Bozak this season has been give offensive usage - which plays to is strength and helps to mitigate his weakness.

And we KNOW the Leafs have tried to trade Bozak last season - that was even BEFORE Nylanders emergence.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/700364

http://www.thescore.com/news/785375

It seems that managment is comfortable with the idea of moving Bozak. I'd say this sentiment will intensify if Nyalnder shows he's capable of prime minutes (speculative on my part).

Edit:

Correcting phone autocorrect.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Kadri has primarily been given defensive zone starts - Bozak this season has been give offensive usage - which plays to is strength and helps to mitigate his weakness.

And we KNOW the Leafs have tried I tatse Bozak last season - that was even BEFORE Nylanders emergence.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/700364

http://www.thescore.com/news/785375

It seems that managment is comfortable with the idea of moving Bozak. I'd say this sentiment will intensify if Nyalnder shows he's capable of prime minutes (speculative on my part).

That was a pretty weak rumour. Not only that, but would've given them a year to replace him with somebody to insulate Nylander before he comes up.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
Is the tear down complete? I'd say no.

Is this rock bottom? I'd say yes.

You can only tear down so much, and since we have a few bad years ahead of us they can deal with Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Kadri, Bernier for now. Each of those players are serviceable but certainly not likely part of the long term plan. Management will still want to remove these players so they can feel that they have all of their own players in place.

Kadri & JVR stand the best chance, but even after this many years it's really hard to gauge how important a piece Kadri really is. IMO he's at best a 2nd line center, but if he's the best we end up with for a #2 center than I fear the chances of a championship caliber team are limited. JVR would be an excellent piece on a contending team, but his trade value is more valuable than he is to this current roster. By the time we've turned the corner his value to the Leafs will be minimal.

I suspect the Leafs will only offer Kadri a short term deal and if so that will speak volumes to his long term future with the club. This year was a golden opportunity for him to stake a claim and he'll be lucky to get 15-20 goals. I know he doesn't have support, but I think most observers would prefer to see more out of him. When you're on this bad of a team, and you have the talent he has you should at least be able to stand apart from the rest and honestly that hasn't been the case.

The draft and July 1st cannot come fast enough.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Lupul - 5.25 Million x 2 more years. (not really trade-able). INJURED
Bozak 4.2 Million x 2 more years. (hard to envision a deal). INJURED

JVR 4.25 M x 2 more years. INJURED.

Kadri ... I've seen enough. I'm trying to trade him in the off season. I'd happily give him a one year deal. 3rd line (well 2.75) Centres are easy to come by.

Bernier ... not really movable for picks. Needed for the Tank next year anyway. The Tank ends after next season.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Birds of a feather.

We managed to profile Kessel correctly ,a lazy , nonchalant , my way or the highway kind of guy. Kessel is a full blown coward at the NHL level and works out as much as I do , the kid has 0 sacrifice in him and his vision of "team" is non existent. Bozo s best bud and room mate.

Birds of a feather.

We have "old school" men running this organisation , babs,shanny,hunter,lou , all one needs to do is look at their life track records to realise Bozo ain't their kind of pro.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, as soon as lou gets a offer he is ok with, well bye bye bozo.

Something tells me lou ain't gonna even wait for an offer to deal with the other bird of a feather, Lupuls

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's a mighty impressive claim considering only 3 players have ever logged 60+ minutes in a game and all of the games in question went to 5 overtimes.

I'd think Glenn Hall played all 60 in 82 consecutive games somewhere in his streak of 502 consecutive games played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad