Is the NBA draft lottery rigged?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If that was the case Matthews would be in Arizona and Edmonton wouldn't have McDavid
The fact they don't show the actual lottery is the issue. The league want's their stars in certain markets. Edmonton is a stable franchise with a solid fanbase who have lots of money. Arizona, Carolina, Florida are just there for the sake of having them in the league. Toront was always going to get Matthews as long as they finshed low enough to make drafting seem legit. If they would have been bad enough to draft McDavid he would have been the sure shot.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The fact they don't show the actual lottery is the issue. The league want's their stars in certain markets. Edmonton is a stable franchise with a solid fanbase who have lots of money. Arizona, Carolina, Florida are just there for the sake of having them in the league. Toront was always going to get Matthews as long as they finshed low enough to make drafting seem legit. If they would have been bad enough to draft McDavid he would have been the sure shot.

Tampa too?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

The hell you talking about. The NHL released the video of the actual lottery the last three drafts specifically to quiet people such as yourself thinking it's rigged. Plus there are team representatives during the drawings.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Could've sworn Florida won a draft lottery not that long ago.......and has won like three other times as well (1998*, 2002, 2003).

*Panthers dealt their pick earlier that year.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The hell you talking about. The NHL released the video of the actual lottery the last three drafts specifically to quiet people such as yourself thinking it's rigged. Plus there are team representatives during the drawings.

Nice to see they did it for a few seasons. The reason for it is because of McDavid and Matthews. Before then they never showed them and that is what people complained about. Really, you have no idea whether or not it has ever been rigged other than those that they decided to show.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I guess I have to apologize for him on behalf of HFSens: he has no idea what he is talking about 90% of the time.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
No. I don't think that many people making that much money would risk it all for a draft lottery. Like seriously, imagine putting your neck and millions on the line for like the Kwame Brown lottery.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No. I don't think that many people making that much money would risk it all for a draft lottery. Like seriously, imagine putting your neck and millions on the line for like the Kwame Brown lottery.

What risk?

An NBA referee came out not too long ago and said the refs manipulate games for the benefit of the league

Nothing came of that. The league didn't fold. Attendance didn't drop.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
aside from the ewing draft, 2012 is the most obvious case of the draft being rigged

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
What risk?

An NBA referee came out not too long ago and said the refs manipulate games for the benefit of the league

Nothing came of that. The league didn't fold. Attendance didn't drop.

A NBA ref singing to save his neck vs everyone who has their hands on a draft lottery with concrete evidence would be a lot different.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yea but MJ was part owner and head of basketball ops at the time for the Wiz, theoretically Stern could be doing him a solid for all the goddamn money he made the NBA.

aside from the ewing draft, 2012 is the most obvious case of the draft being rigged

2014 as well. But 2012 made too much sense - give the failing franchise a superstar to build around.

The question is, do Knicks fans believe/admit that the Ewing lottery was rigged?

I doubt it. They are too obnoxious to admit it.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
The question is, do Knicks fans believe/admit that the Ewing lottery was rigged?

I've been a Knicks fan since 1955 and I'm pretty sure it was rigged (and deservedly so). If Dave Debusschere knew about it he deserved an Emmy for his reaction.

Sorta makes up for the "Territorial Draft Choices" that usually hurt us in the draft (along with a history of stupid picks and decisions).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't believe any draft lottery in any league is rigged, other than the outlier with Ewing going to the Knicks in the 80's.

If drafts were truly rigged, the NHL would have sent Connor McDavid to Toronto and Auston Matthews to Arizona.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't believe any draft lottery in any league is rigged, other than the outlier with Ewing going to the Knicks in the 80's.

If drafts were truly rigged, the NHL would have sent Connor McDavid to Toronto and Auston Matthews to Arizona.
No they wouldn't have. Toronto makes the most money in the NHL so they don't need McDavid to remain super profitable which is the only thing that matters in business. I don't think every draft is rigged but some probably have been to boost league revenues in a strategic way.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No they wouldn't have. Toronto makes the most money in the NHL so they don't need McDavid to remain super profitable which is the only thing that matters in business. I don't think every draft is rigged but some probably have been to boost league revenues in a strategic way.

Doesn't matter if Toronto makes the most money. With McDavid, they'd make even more money and that is the ultimate goal of a business.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Doesn't matter if Toronto makes the most money. With McDavid, they'd make even more money and that is the ultimate goal of a business.
I disagree. Would the Lakers make more money with Lebron james or would Cleveland? The Lakers already make a lot of money so adding Lebron james they surely would make more. Cleveland on the other hand makes a fraction without James but with him probably rivals that of LA. or at least is a lot closer than without him. If we are speaking just about Lebron James he would make A lot more money in LA than Cleveland just by sheer opportunity but the team wouldn't see as much benefit. I think this would be the theory behind fixing the draft lottery. If one division is sorely lacking in attendance numbers then by putting a generational talent there would at least guarantee more tickets sales seeing as that player would play the majority of games in that division. Every team in that division benefits and the league revenues go up where as if you have a division where you already have a Crosby, Ovechkin, you can only generate so much more ticket sales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad