Is Schenn a Core Piece?

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Bar argument that I decided to put to a poll here.

As of the end of the 16-17 season do you view Brayden Schenn as piece of our team's core going forward?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I voted yes but for the right deal he could be an expendable piece of the core.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
He can score but he really needs to improve on his puck possession. His big hits took a step back this season as well, but that could be because he isn't jumping into a lot of them anymore because of his suspension. I expected him to take a bigger step this season in improving his overall game.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't know how I would answer this question. He is clearly playing better with Couts (as everyone does), but he deserves a pat on the back himself for picking it up. He is looking more dangerous and more steady. He has scored regularly on the PP. All that being said, I still feel like he could be sacrificed in a trade. So I'm not sure if I'd consider him a part of the core for that reason. But I've also been thinking lately that if I am going to trade one of the three - Voracek, Simmer or Schenn - he'd probably be the third one I would move, taking into consideration the return we could get for each. I'm not saying I would definitely trade one of them, but if I did I'd look to move one of the other two first, probably Simmer (mostly because of the impending contract that we all have discussed ad nauseum).

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
he's been a +/- 20 goal & 50 pt guy for 4 seasons now
yes, he is cored

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I guess he is a core piece, but to me he is the player I would trade to give the top 6 a different look. not for picks or a prospect, but for another top 6 forward. who that is? I dont know, but I dont think this "core" group is good enough honestly.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
He's only core in virtue of reasons that would suggest he isn't core. Yet, he ended up in the core.

1) Few ready prospect forwards at the time of contract, given the way the team drafted.
2) Needed his points because wingers aren't stellar on the team.
3) Contact says he is.
4) Many of us would trade him in a heartbeat for the right deal because he is a blockhead.
5) He played strong 5on5 -- as the 3rd line RW.

Schenn is the 3rd person you asked to the dance and you refuse to go to the dance stag.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I voted core as a winger not a center. He has played really well in my opinion since being moved to Coots wing. I would just leave him there for the next five years and he will be good on the PP and score 25 goals a year. I also think he will be good playoff performer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's on the fringe. He's an important player but the most expendable of our important players.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
He's on the fringe. He's an important player but the most expendable of our important players.

This exactly. he is a core player in my eyes as he is a 50+ point producer. But if any of the core was to be traded, (g, simmer, jake, coots, schenn, ghost, prov, tk) he'd be the 1st to go

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

yep. this is how I feel. Like I said. I would not trade him in a salary dump. See if there is a hockey trade to be made this summer. This team really needs a sniper. I know just Schenn would not get it done, but he is a player I would definitely dangle this summer.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
This exactly. he is a core player in my eyes as he is a 50+ point producer. But if any of the core was to be traded, (g, simmer, jake, coots, schenn, ghost, prov, tk) he'd be the 1st to go
I don't really agree about which would be traded because that adds value to other teams and ability of the team to internally replace them. Going the other way, i think Couts, Provorov and Simmer are the least expendable relative to what they bring to the team. I would willingly trade any of the others for the right deal with probably Jake my most expendable to get a future G replacement.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
yep. this is how I feel. Like I said. I would not trade him in a salary dump. See if there is a hockey trade to be made this summer. This team really needs a sniper. I know just Schenn would not get it done, but he is a player I would definitely dangle this summer.

That's why I wouldn't do it, GFH - it seems like we could get more bang for our buck moving one of the other two. We'd also have more bang removed from our buck, as it were, by trading one of them, so Hexy would have to employ his sorcery. I do completely agree that he is the most expendable of the three, for sure, but I'm not sure it's good asset management to move him.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Is there really a big difference between Schenn and Simmonds? Their numbers are almost identical.
Simmonds can PK and is a better leader. That's the only real difference between the two.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That's why I wouldn't do it, GFH - it seems like we could get more bang for our buck moving one of the other two. We'd also have more bang removed from our buck, as it were, by trading one of them, so Hexy would have to employ his sorcery. I do completely agree that he is the most expendable of the three, for sure, but I'm not sure it's good asset management to move him.

you really cant trade Simmonds. who replaces what he brings to the table? sure the return could be great, but I am not sure if you would get back what you would lose.
no one is going to trade for Jake or Giroux given there contracts and the poor seasons they just had.
You also are never going to get full value for Couturier. If you are looking to change the look of the top 6 forward core, Schenn is the most logical choice. You either go into next season with what we have, or you trade Schenn.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
50Pt forwards of any sort just don't grow on trees. The only way Schenn should be moved is if a team is willing to give a significant over-payment for his services. That said, he is the exact player teams would over value in a trade. Just not sure by how much and if that over valuation is worth the holes it creates.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
you really cant trade Simmonds. who replaces what he brings to the table? sure the return could be great, but I am not sure if you would get back what you would lose.
no one is going to trade for Jake or Giroux given there contracts and the poor seasons they just had.
You also are never going to get full value for Couturier. If you are looking to change the look of the top 6 forward core, Schenn is the most logical choice. You either go into next season with what we have, or you trade Schenn.
If you can't replace Simmonds' 29 goals, how do you replace Schenn's 23?
In the end that's what they are, goalscorers.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Voted no. Good player, but ultimately expendable and while his production can not be immediately replaced. Guys like Lindblom or Konecny could take his spot in the lineup and you wouldn't really notice to much of a difference.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

points and goals aside, Simmonds is a better player in every area of the ice. I really dont think there is much debate honestly. I would be willing to bet if you took a poll of NHL GMs, who would they rather have the choice would be rather easy.
Add into it is that Simmonds has one of the best non ELC in the NHL.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
points and goals aside, Simmonds is a better player in every area of the ice. I really dont think there is much debate honestly. I would be willing to bet if you took a poll of NHL GMs, who would they rather have the choice would be rather easy.
Add into it is that Simmonds has one of the best non ELC in the NHL.
Tbh, I think Simmonds' season has been overrated. He's the same streaky player he's always been and I don't know if I'd call him a good defensive forward just because he's good on the PK. He definitely is a very likeable guy and a great leader though.

Ultimately his next contract may be the biggest reason to trade him. He's 28 already and do we want to pay him big money in his 30's?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Worrying about how to replace Schenn or Simmonds in the now wouldn't deter me from moving them at this point. As I don't really have great hope of bridging the defense prospects with the forwards on the roster.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think he is. He is a guy that we count on for 50+ points per year and is 25 years old. He is not a perfect player. His game has flaws, but 50+ points per year is not an easy thing to replace, even if there are parts of his game that leave something to be desired.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Worrying about how to replace Schenn or Simmonds in the now wouldn't deter me from moving them at this point. As I don't really have great hope of bridging the defense prospects with the forwards on the roster.

That's why the core list for me from the Flyers roster is 3 names: Provorov, Ghost, and Konecny. I am not saying just the give the other guys away but if it a good deal, it's time to look toward the future.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA

with simmonds it is more than just goals that cant be replaced. no bash to schenn but simmonds brings leadership, defensive minded play and pk play. Not to mention the fact that we are a small team getting smaller and he brings size and a little fear to the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad