Is Phaneuf Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
A lot of people seem to feel that any time Phaneuf hits someone, he draws rave reviews that would not even be noticed with another rookie defenceman. Well, he does make an impact when he hits. He was also the leader in ice time during the game with Edmonton, and many said, that was, by far his best pre-season game. Now there are many people who theorize that Phaneuf needs to play in the AHL for seasoning. That is, without seeing him play one single regular season game. Premature IMO. To say he will be one of the hardest hitters in the league, also premature IMO. He shows a lot of promise, and we won't know if he is overrated for some time. Ask me halfway through the season.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
abracanada said:
A lot of people seem to feel that any time Phaneuf hits someone, he draws rave reviews that would not even be noticed with another rookie defenceman. Well, he does make an impact when he hits. He was also the leader in ice time during the game with Edmonton, and many said, that was, by far his best pre-season game. Now there are many people who theorize that Phaneuf needs to play in the AHL for seasoning. That is, without seeing him play one single regular season game. Premature IMO. To say he will be one of the hardest hitters in the league, also premature IMO. He shows a lot of promise, and we won't know if he is overrated for some time. Ask me halfway through the season.

I don't think he's overrated. He should stick on his team in the NHL, and by the end of the season he will likely be one of their best defenseman... top four in skill, but he should still be playing on the bottom pairing.

Some guys are just like that.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
quat said:
I don't think he's overrated. He should stick on his team in the NHL, and by the end of the season he will likely be one of their best defenseman... top four in skill, but he should still be playing on the bottom pairing.

Some guys are just like that.

So you could see him replacing Warrener by the end of the season?

Sorry, didnt read you correctly. Bottom pairing. It will be interesting.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Well, he sure isn't picking his spots, as suggested in this article.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/09/26/1235983-sun.html

He is also listed as 6'2 and 210 - I heard he is 6'3 215 now. I am looking forward to some real battles this year, and if he is willing to stand up to Laracque, I have to admire his courage, although I am not so sure it is a good idea.

Also interesting to note about not only his shot, but his positioning and ability to get it off quickly. There are lots of hard shooters around who never do anything scoring wise (see Robin Regehr), but he seems to have a little big more than a heavy shot. Maybe he can teach Regehr a little something.

PapaBear*

i expect him on the 1st PP abra, paired with Hamrlik setting him up. Dion has a laser from the backend.

Reghr? heh, he just doesnt belong on the PP period.

Hamrlik-Phaneuf on 1stPP
Leopold and Ference on 2nd. (yes even Ference has better offensive instincts than Rockin Robyn)

Reghr, Warriner should be used strictly defensively.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I haven't really seen him play enough to make a clearly overrated remark, but I wasn't overly impressed with him from the WJC. His physical game is outstanding, but he seemed to make alot of poor decisions that didn't hurt him because the team was so strong. I am not convinced he is this all-star stud I am hearing about, but he will always have a role and a place in the NHL. Time will tell if he develops into a more rounded blueline, at least for me it will.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I think what you see is what you get and i think it will transfer to the NHL.
However,it is not realistic to expect him as a young dman to contend
for the Calder with the crop of omen there is this year.Give him a few years
and he will be a real force.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
Phaneuf is an amazing young defenceman. Remember he is only 20 years old, and most defenceman take at least a few years to develop into a top-line player in the league, unlike young forwards who can have an impact immediately.

Phaneuf will need a few years to develop his skills at the NHL level and build his confidence. He is still young and immature and should be expected to make mistakes.

One day he will be an anchor on Canada's Olympic blueline for many years to come.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Phaneuf has been great so far in camp, leading the Flames in icetime in 2 of the 3 pre-season games he has been in. On Friday agaisnt Edmonton he played just under 25 minutes and was great the whole game. I think he is going to force Sutter to give him top 4 minutes by the end of the year. Maybe even at Warreners expense.

phacochere

Mar 26, 2002
PapaBear said:
i expect him on the 1st PP abra, paired with Hamrlik setting him up. Dion has a laser from the backend.

Reghr? heh, he just doesnt belong on the PP period.

Hamrlik-Phaneuf on 1stPP
Leopold and Ference on 2nd. (yes even Ference has better offensive instincts than Rockin Robyn)

Reghr, Warriner should be used strictly defensively.

I thought Leopold was Calgary's best offensive defenseman...? Granted I haven't seen enough of him to make a truly sound judgement, but he was by far the best offensive defenseman for the Flames during the last playoff run, and given his age he should only be getting better, no?

To me, he looks like a mini-Leetch on the ice, which isn't to say he'll put up Leetch-like points, but shouldn't that be enough to have him on the #1 PP pairing?

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
EazyB97 said:
I haven't really seen him play enough to make a clearly overrated remark, but I wasn't overly impressed with him from the WJC. His physical game is outstanding, but he seemed to make alot of poor decisions that didn't hurt him because the team was so strong. I am not convinced he is this all-star stud I am hearing about, but he will always have a role and a place in the NHL. Time will tell if he develops into a more rounded blueline, at least for me it will.

I guess you weren't one of the voters then!

He was named the tourneys top defenceman :biglaugh:

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Aaron Vickers said:
The media guides in camp have him listed at 6'3, 215. While the 6'3 is correct, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually weights in at 220, and that is solid muscle.
Never seen a media guide go under a height or weight before..

Those who mentioned that it takes defensemen longer to develop are absolutely right. Some people are saying Jay Bouwmeester is a bust already and that we should have draft Nash or Pitkanen (Nash, possibly IMO - but dmen are far more valuable). I still have faith that both Bo and Phaneuf will both turn out just fine given the time.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
EazyB97 said:

Great post...I agree on all your statement...

Also, I was watching a Habs game on TV and noticed that with the new rules, Hard hitting defenceman like Komisarek and Souray(for the Habs) might have a harder time showing their physical skills...

The same thing could happen with Phaneuf...we'll have to see because it's still to early right now...

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
People seem to be talking like he isn't playing well or is having trouble in camp. He is not. He's a lock to make the team and may force Sutter to give him top 4 minutes by the end of the year with his play. Currently he leads the Flames in hits and shots in the pre-season and is getting gushing rave reviews by the home town media.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
EazyB97 said:

Yah, the WJC organizers were so un impressed they gave him the MVP for the dman..................Wow, I watched every game of the WJC and I thought Phaneuf was outstanding. Remember he plays against the other teams best players.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
I think Phaneuf is the best D-man coming into the league this year, and adds that much more impact to the rookie class of 05-06. He'll be a contender for the calder (more than likely won't win it, seeing as Sid the Kid is around, but he'll be nominated for it).

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site
EazyB97 said:
yeah i think you need to see him somemore.dion is gold,flames fans will love this work horse for many years. i expect him to be a top 4 d man on the flames by midseason.as for pts i'll say 32.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I think Phaneuf's offense is a little bit overrated. But he hits like a train!!!!

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
ernesto said:
yeah i think you need to see him somemore.dion is gold,flames fans will love this work horse for many years. i expect him to be a top 4 d man on the flames by midseason.as for pts i'll say 32.

:eek: High expectation!!! He's only a D...maybe in 2-3 years but not his season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad