Is Nolan Patrick worth it for another very bad season?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets' big problems:

Penalty differential - As Jets add more skilled players, hard to see that stay as bad.
Special teams - PP should improve. Stuart off the PK would help.
Goaltending - Hellebuyck over Pavelec.

I really have a hard time seeing them being as bad next season. I could see them missing the playoffs and finishing in the 10-14 slot in the lottery, but I really doubt they'll finish close to the bottom again.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
If we start the amount of kids we should we will be a lottery team again no doubt in my mind.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Now is the time to get into the playoffs consistently, and let the young players experience a white out atmosphere and NHL playoff pressure.

If Chevy can add a top 9 player and top 4 LH dman, we're in business.

So, eventhough Patrick would be a nice story, I'd rather the franchise takes a solid step forward this year.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
No. I want the team and the guys to win. Our scouts will take care of the draft and our prospect pool.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I am not interested in wasting another of Buff, Wheeler, and Little's prime.

We've had excellent excuses for bad for this long. You have to turn the corner at some point. Right now we have a good team on paper. A team that is good enough to make the playoffs. We don't have a culture of losing....yet. Guys on this team are passionate and fired up. They want to win and with the addition of Connor and Laine, we've never been in a better spot to succeed.

1) Buy out Pav
2) Call up Helly
3) Do anything with Stuart that doesn't involve him playing.
4) Trade Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I voted yes but here's the caveat. If we have a terrible season, miss the playoffs and win the lottery, then absolutely worth it.

That's a remote possibility. There is no way I believe it's a good idea to try and be bad ala Sabres/Leafs

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
No. I want the team and the guys to win. Our scouts will take care of the draft and our prospect pool.

Agreed.

Instilling a winning attitude and breeding early success into our kids has more value than another early first-round draft pick. I want our kids to have the expectation to win bred into them early.

The players who suffered through last year's Moose season need to have the feeling of losing cleansed from them. Success begets success and failure begets failure. If our rookies keep losing game after game then failure moves from being excusable to being allowable to being acceptable.

In the 2014-15 season I went into each game expecting to win and indeed we won a lot of hockey games. Contrast that with 2011-2014 and 2015-16; I always felt like I was 'hoping' we'd win. We don't want our next generation of players having that feeling.

m.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I voted yes but here's the caveat. If we have a terrible season, miss the playoffs and win the lottery, then absolutely worth it.

That's a remote possibility. There is no way I believe it's a good idea to try and be bad ala Sabres/Leafs

So basically finish 17th in the league and cash in that 1% chance in the lottery. I could go for that. :)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Bad franchises are always generally bad and good franchises are always generally good. I need this to be a good franchise or I'm out.

Win or die

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Jets were an above 50% Corsi team.

The chance they can dive low enough for that pick twice with the talent they have would be difficult even with Pavelec.

Not to mention believing well reduce the special teams awfulness and ice an even bettee team..... yah I think it's affecting to say we won't be bottoming out.

This team also needs to start being good now or further supplement our young guys with eteplacements fort enstrom buff wheeler and little ...last time I checked that's not likely to happen in one off season, even with Nolan Patrick

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This team should be challenging for a playoff spot next year if they are able to get decent goaltending.

I think they easily make the playoffs if they improve their special teams and are more disciplined.

The division also looks to be weakening a bit.

Chicago continues to sign huge deals to their cup winning core whether they are smart or not. This is forcing them to lose quality players without having the cap space or the young players in the system (Due to trading them to try to win now). They took a step back last year and imo will further take another step back due to decreased depth.

St Louis looks to be loosing a couple of solid players as well and may or may not take a step back.

The Wild have an aging core that will be another year older.

Dallas's thin defense has gotten worse with Gologoski leaving.

All of a sudden the division doesn't look quite as daunting as it did in the past. We definitely can make hay this year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Is this even a real question? The franchise just won the jackpot and drafted Patrik Laine. The roster is looking deep and the talent pool is even deeper. The Jets have no reason to tank whatsoever. Go out there, play your best and see how far it gets you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad